Increasing size of the monospace font

A.M. Kuchling
Here's what the current 2.6 docs look like on Firefox 3.0 under MacOS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2810698647/sizes/o/

The class names in the text are a good deal smaller than the English
text.  Is this just an oddity of my current configuration, or does it
look like this for everyone?

Here's what the docs look like after changing the font size for <tt>
from 0.95 em to 1.25em:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2811539974/sizes/o/

I think this makes the class names match the x-height of the prose
much better, though now the boldface makes them look very dark.

--amk

Re: Increasing size of the monospace font

Michael Foord-5
A.M. Kuchling wrote:

> Here's what the current 2.6 docs look like on Firefox 3.0 under MacOS:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2810698647/sizes/o/
>
> The class names in the text are a good deal smaller than the English
> text.  Is this just an oddity of my current configuration, or does it
> look like this for everyone?
>
> Here's what the docs look like after changing the font size for <tt>
> from 0.95 em to 1.25em:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2811539974/sizes/o/
>
> I think this makes the class names match the x-height of the prose
> much better, though now the boldface makes them look very dark.

I definitely prefer the second - including the 'darkness'.

Michael
> --amk

http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/
http://www.trypython.org/
http://www.ironpython.info/
http://www.theotherdelia.co.uk/
http://www.resolverhacks.net/

Re: Increasing size of the monospace font

Georg Brandl-2
A.M. Kuchling schrieb:

> Here's what the current 2.6 docs look like on Firefox 3.0 under MacOS:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2810698647/sizes/o/
>
> The class names in the text are a good deal smaller than the English
> text.  Is this just an oddity of my current configuration, or does it
> look like this for everyone?
>
> Here's what the docs look like after changing the font size for <tt>
> from 0.95 em to 1.25em:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/44165698@N00/2811539974/sizes/o/
>
> I think this makes the class names match the x-height of the prose
> much better, though now the boldface makes them look very dark.

It's an oddity of browser configuration, but sadly present on most
browsers. Since Sphinx only sets relative font sizes, it is affected
by this, while most other sites set absolute font sizes.

This is what "font-size: 1.25em" would look like in my browser:

http://dev.pocoo.org/~gbrandl/pickle.png

The "correct" way to fix this is to set the default text and monospace
font sizes to sensible values in the browser configuration.

Georg