Installation

vikash agrawal
hi Everyone,
  • I am using Python 2.7, so how do I install pysetup. though when I install distutils1.0a3 I do see distutils module in my interactive session but I dont see any pysetup being installed
  • Also, I had previously come in contact with merwok and I would be applying in GSoC this year under PSF for distutils2 project (as I believe PSF will be under GSoC and distutils will surely be accepted), so I am writing to seek help on what all things should be my target, and how do I move ahead.
  • Currently, I am trying to work on the ]issue 12944 but due to certain constraints things are not geared up, though I hope they would soon be :)
  • Please guide me and drop-in all your suggestions

Regards

Vikash Agrawal

--
sent via HTC Sensation

Re: Installation

Erik Bray-2
On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 12:32 PM, vikash agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi Everyone,
>
> I am using Python 2.7, so how do I install pysetup. though when I install
> distutils1.0a3 I do see distutils module in my interactive session but I
> dont see any pysetup being installed

That "release" is pretty old, and I'm not sure it even includes the
pysetup script.  If you're going to be doing d2 development you're
best off getting the latest source from hg:
https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils2

You should also make sure to get the latest cpython repo from
http://hg.python.org/cpython to work on packaging.  Though I don't
know exactly what the current policy is on merging from packaging to
distutils2 or vice-versa, so I'm not the best person to comment on
that.

Erik

> Also, I had previously come in contact with merwok and I would be applying
> in GSoC this year under PSF for distutils2 project (as I believe PSF will be
> under GSoC and distutils will surely be accepted), so I am writing to seek
> help on what all things should be my target, and how do I move ahead.
> Currently, I am trying to work on the ]issue 12944 but due to certain
> constraints things are not geared up, though I hope they would soon be :)
> Please guide me and drop-in all your suggestions
>
> Regards
>
> Vikash Agrawal
>
> --
> sent via HTC Sensation

Re: Installation

vikash agrawal
hi Erik

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> hi Everyone,
>
> I am using Python 2.7, so how do I install pysetup. though when I install
> distutils1.0a3 I do see distutils module in my interactive session but I
> dont see any pysetup being installed

That "release" is pretty old, and I'm not sure it even includes the
pysetup script.  If you're going to be doing d2 development you're
best off getting the latest source from hg:
https://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils2

You should also make sure to get the latest cpython repo from
http://hg.python.org/cpython to work on packaging.  Though I don't
know exactly what the current policy is on merging from packaging to
distutils2 or vice-versa, so I'm not the best person to comment on
that.

Erik
[...]

Ok, I will try installing it tonight from tarek's, and will let you know. Also some time ago, I was trying to package it for Fedora 16 and I faced similar problem with that, pysetup not getting installed.

Also @tarek, if possible Please update python-side for the package

And why do I need latest cython for distutils? I would be using 2.X and not 3.X
[...]
> Also, I had previously come in contact with merwok and I would be applying
> in GSoC this year under PSF for distutils2 project (as I believe PSF will be
> under GSoC and distutils will surely be accepted), so I am writing to seek
> help on what all things should be my target, and how do I move ahead.
> Currently, I am trying to work on the ]issue 12944 but due to certain
> constraints things are not geared up, though I hope they would soon be :)
> Please guide me and drop-in all your suggestions
>
> Regards
>
> Vikash Agrawal
>[hidden email]
[...]

Waiting for guidance

Regards
Vikash Agrawal

--
sent via HTC Sensation

Re: Installation

Erik Bray-2
Hi Vikash,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:02 AM, vikash agrawal
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ok, I will try installing it tonight from tarek's, and will let you know.
> Also some time ago, I was trying to package it for Fedora 16 and I faced
> similar problem with that, pysetup not getting installed.
>
> Also @tarek, if possible Please update python-side for the package
>
> And why do I need latest cython for distutils? I would be using 2.X and not
> 3.X

Distutils2 is included in Python 3 under the name 'packaging' which is
where, I believe, most of its development is focused.  The
"distutils2" name is used for the backport of packaging to Python 2.x
as well as Python 3.x prior to the availability of packaging in the
standard library.

Confused yet?  There are some historical reasons for all that, but the
main point is that if you're interested in working on distutils2, you
really want to up and running on the main Python development branch
and work on *packaging*.  I think that most of the work is being done
there, and then backported to distutils2.  This post Tarek made a
while back should help you get up and running:
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2011/06/02/help-us-ironing-packaging/

Erik

> [...]
>>
>> > Also, I had previously come in contact with merwok and I would be
>> > applying
>> > in GSoC this year under PSF for distutils2 project (as I believe PSF
>> > will be
>> > under GSoC and distutils will surely be accepted), so I am writing to
>> > seek
>> > help on what all things should be my target, and how do I move ahead.
>> > Currently, I am trying to work on the ]issue 12944 but due to certain
>> > constraints things are not geared up, though I hope they would soon be
>> > :)
>> > Please guide me and drop-in all your suggestions
>> >
>> > Regards
>> >
>> > Vikash Agrawal
>> >

> [...]
>
> Waiting for guidance
>

> Regards
> Vikash Agrawal
>

> --
> sent via HTC Sensation

Re: Installation

Éric Araujo
Hello,

Le 09/02/2012 10:11, Erik Bray a écrit :
> Distutils2 is included in Python 3 under the name 'packaging' which is
> where, I believe, most of its development is focused.  The
> "distutils2" name is used for the backport of packaging to Python 2.x
> as well as Python 3.x prior to the availability of packaging in the
> standard library.
This is correct, except for one point (see below).

> Confused yet?  There are some historical reasons for all that, but the
> main point is that if you're interested in working on distutils2, you
> really want to up and running on the main Python development branch
> and work on *packaging*.  I think that most of the work is being done
> there, and then backported to distutils2.
My personal preference is to work in the cpython repository, because I
prefer Python 3 and the stdlib’s test runner is useful (finds reference
leaks, finds tests that modify the environment and don’t restore it,
this kind of things).  Contributors however are free to work from a
distutils2 clone if that’s easier for them: both codebases are
synchronized and I gladly port patches.

Cheers