Installing PyQt 4 from source

ashwin .D
Hello,
           I am trying to install Py Qt from source on Ubuntu 16.04. I have previously installed qmake under the following directory

/usr/local/TrollTech/Qt-4.7.8/bin/qmake. However when I run python3.5 configure-ng.py I get this message

qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory
Error: PyQt4 requires Qt v4.1.0 or later. Use the --qmake flag to specify the
correct version of qmake. If you are sure you are using Qt v4 then try the
configure.py script instead of this one.
Querying qmake about your Qt installation...

There is an existing /usr/bin/qmake which came with Ubuntu I presume which does not work for whatever reasons. My installation sits in a different directory as pointed above. How do I modify my configure-ng.py script so it picks up my version of qmake and not the system one ?

I have root privileges on this box and I am the sole user.

 I modified this line

 pipe = os.popen(' '.join([qmake, '-query']))

and changed it to ' pipe = os.popen(' '.join(['/usr/local/TrollTech/Qt-4.7.8/bin/qmake', '-query']))

but this does not seem to work either. When I run this on my tcsh that command prints the information without any error.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards,
Ashwin.

Re: Installing PyQt 4 from source

Florian Bruhin
Hi,

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 10:10:38PM +0530, ashwin .D wrote:
> There is an existing /usr/bin/qmake which came with Ubuntu I presume which
> does not work for whatever reasons. My installation sits in a different
> directory as pointed above. How do I modify my configure-ng.py script so it
> picks up my version of qmake and not the system one ?

Citing from your own mail:

> Use the --qmake flag to specify the correct version of qmake.

Maybe try that? ;-)

(Also, let me note that Qt 4 is discontinued and unsupported since
2015)

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | [hidden email] (Mail/XMPP)

Re: Installing PyQt 4 from source

Phil Thompson-5
On 12 Mar 2018, at 4:40 pm, ashwin .D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>            I am trying to install Py Qt from source on Ubuntu 16.04. I have previously installed qmake under the following directory
>
> /usr/local/TrollTech/Qt-4.7.8/bin/qmake. However when I run python3.5 configure-ng.py I get this message
>
> qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory
> Error: PyQt4 requires Qt v4.1.0 or later. Use the --qmake flag to specify the
> correct version of qmake. If you are sure you are using Qt v4 then try the
> configure.py script instead of this one.
> Querying qmake about your Qt installation...
>
> There is an existing /usr/bin/qmake which came with Ubuntu I presume which does not work for whatever reasons. My installation sits in a different directory as pointed above. How do I modify my configure-ng.py script so it picks up my version of qmake and not the system one ?
>
> I have root privileges on this box and I am the sole user.
>
>  I modified this line
>
>  pipe = os.popen(' '.join([qmake, '-query']))
>
> and changed it to ' pipe = os.popen(' '.join(['/usr/local/TrollTech/Qt-4.7.8/bin/qmake', '-query']))
>
> but this does not seem to work either. When I run this on my tcsh that command prints the information without any error.
>
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.

As the error message suggests, use the --qmake flag to pass the name of the qmake executable.

Phil

Re: Installing PyQt 4 from source

ashwin .D
I am sorry I could not understand that. Where should I specify the --qmake flag ? At the risk of appearing  foolish is this what you meant -

qmake --qmake=/usr/local/Trolltec/Qt-4.8.7/bin

I just tried this on a tcsh and got this error

qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory

Regarding Qt 4 yes I am aware it is no longer supported but I plan to use Py Qt with Mayavi and I was told that Py Q 5 is not supported by Mayavi (please correct me if I am wrong)

On 12 Mar 2018, at 5:11 pm, ashwin .D <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sorry I could not understand that. Where should I specify the --qmake flag ? At the risk of appearing  foolish is this what you meant -
>
> qmake --qmake=/usr/local/Trolltec/Qt-4.8.7/bin
>
> I just tried this on a tcsh and got this error
>
> qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory

As I said in my first response, pass the name of the qmake *executable*.

Phil

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 05:14:19PM +0000, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On 12 Mar 2018, at 5:11 pm, ashwin .D <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I am sorry I could not understand that. Where should I specify the --qmake flag ? At the risk of appearing  foolish is this what you meant -
> >
> > qmake --qmake=/usr/local/Trolltec/Qt-4.8.7/bin
> >
> > I just tried this on a tcsh and got this error
> >
> > qmake: could not exec '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/qt4/bin/qmake': No such file or directory
>
> As I said in my first response, pass the name of the qmake *executable*.
You'll need to pass that flag to configure.py (or configure-ng.py, I'm
not familiar with PyQt4) - not qmake.

Florian

--
https://www.qutebrowser.org | [hidden email] (Mail/XMPP)