Quantcast

Intellisense with imported dlls

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Hi All,

I added a couple of custom .NET dlls using the clr.AddReference() method in my program and I was expecting IronPython Tools for Visual Studio to be able to parse the imported dlls and provide intellisense for the imported classes. However I don't see any imported methods when I press either Ctrl + Space or the '.' key after a class object. Is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Intellisense with imported dlls

Dino Viehland
Where are the assemblies?  Currently we'll only find assemblies in the gac.

Sent from my Windows Phone

I added a couple of custom .NET dlls using the clr.AddReference() method in my program and I was expecting IronPython Tools for Visual Studio to be able to parse the imported dlls and provide intellisense for the imported classes. However I don't see any imported methods when I press either Ctrl + Space or the '.' key after a class object. Is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Intellisense with imported dlls

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Ah, I see. The referenced assemblies are in a sub-directory of my project. Would it be too difficult to add the list of assemblies in the Search Path directories of the project? I can try to change the IronPythonTools code to do this if you could give a hint as to where  I should start.

Thanks,

Raj

On 2011-05-11, at 20:51, Dino Viehland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Where are the assemblies?  Currently we'll only find assemblies in the gac.

Sent from my Windows Phone

I added a couple of custom .NET dlls using the clr.AddReference() method in my program and I was expecting IronPython Tools for Visual Studio to be able to parse the imported dlls and provide intellisense for the imported classes. However I don't see any imported methods when I press either Ctrl + Space or the '.' key after a class object. Is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Intellisense with imported dlls

Dino Viehland

Cool, this shouldn’t be too hard to fix.  We load the assemblies in ProjectState.cs and it should just be a matter of flowing the VS project settings down to the analysis ProjectState class and then attempting to load the assemblies from there.

If you’d like to fix it in PTVS, which I’d encourage you to do, it’s been moved to IronPythonInterpreter.cs.   In PTVS it might be more difficult to flow in the VS project but you could update the IPythonInterpreter interface or IInterpreterState so that we either push down or allow pulling out the search paths.

On 2011-05-11, at 20:51, Dino Viehland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Where are the assemblies?  Currently we'll only find assemblies in the gac.

Sent from my Windows Phone

I added a couple of custom .NET dlls using the clr.AddReference() method in my program and I was expecting IronPython Tools for Visual Studio to be able to parse the imported dlls and provide intellisense for the imported classes. However I don't see any imported methods when I press either Ctrl + Space or the '.' key after a class object. Is there something extra I need to do?

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Intellisense with imported dlls

Bill Dines
Hi Raj,

You could try adding the .dlls to the GAC.  I think this works with
PTVS, but not sure if it works with the tools bundled with IP 2.7.  If
you are using the bundled tools it sounds like you should probably
consider changing to PTVS anyway.  FYI, I have added a feature request
for PTVS for "add reference" to custom dlls when creating Silverlight
python projects.  It may be that work also needs to be done with .NET
projects too.  See here: http://pytools.codeplex.com/workitem/148.

Bill

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 19:49:46 -0400
From: Raghavendra Chandrashekara
        <[hidden email]>
To: Discussion of IronPython <[hidden email]>

Hi All,

I added a couple of custom .NET dlls using the clr.AddReference() method
in
my program and I was expecting IronPython Tools for Visual Studio to be
able
to parse the imported dlls and provide intellisense for the imported
classes. However I don't see any imported methods when I press either
Ctrl +
Space or the '.' key after a class object. Is there something extra I
need
to do?

Thanks,

Raj
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

End of Users Digest, Vol 82, Issue 8

Re: Intellisense with imported dlls

Raghavendra Chandrashekara-2
Hi Bill,

Thanks for the tip. This is what I'm doing for now.

Raj