Interested in a BBC Micro in schools project?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Interested in a BBC Micro in schools project?

Alan O'Donohoe
Ok - I know I upset a lot of Pythonistas with my "BBC CodeLab" stunt at PyconUK. I do sincerely regret any upset I caused anyone, the talk was meant to stimulate talk and discussion about whether it was a good idea and how feasible it could be. I accept I was wholly misguided in using such a rouse when there was already so much good work taking place. I did have honourable intentions, but used nefarious means to achieve my goal of raising the profile of computing in schools. 

If you dare watch the talk, you will find it here http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/bbc-b-to-python-gcse/

Suffice to say, I will be eating 'Humble Pi' or HumblePy for some time to come. ;-)

So - imagine how surprised I was to discover in the last few days that the real BBC (not the one in my head) are actually seriously considering a BBC Micro in schools project! I thought my Christmas had come early! I don't wish to claim any credit for this, I am sure it was something that was already on the table before I came and opened my big gob.

If you don't believe me - that's ok with me. The fable of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' springs to mind.

So you don't need to take my word for it, Professor Keri Facer of Manchester Metropolitan Uni has been asked by the BBC to gather a network of teachers, programmers/developers and university lecturers/professors to gauge te level of interest in a 'BBC Micro Project'

She requests that anyone with an interest email her directly at [hidden email]

Can I please urge anyone who values the principle of allowing children in the UK to experience a little (or a lot) of what programming is to contact her and express your interest.

If we want the BBC to sit up and take an interest - we need to show our level of interest and commitment to this cause.

Alan O'Donohoe
@teknoteacher
07791 126056

_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Interested in a BBC Micro in schools project?

kirby urner-4
Greetings Alan, thanks for filing your thinking on edu-sig, where I'm
a lurker from the beginning or close to it (CP4E predates my
involvement).

I think readers outside the UK might benefit from a more frequent
decoding of BBC into British Broadcasting Corporation here and there
in your writings.

To many USAers, it might seem a little surreal to imagine Fox News
muscling in on the No Child Left Behind program, ostensibly run by the
government, in order to make sure it included lots of Python
programming.

On the other hand, Fox has mall outlet stores now, like in airports,
so maybe TV companies are indeed the right entities to be offering us
(their consumers) their leadership.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/5497825739/

Apparently in the UK that might be OK, to have the TV people decide
that programming is a good idea.  Makes sense.  TV is all about
programming.

If a New York based TV company were to get more into Python, I'd like
it to be CBS as I'm a fan of many on that team.

Most USAers would say PBS is the logical choice, because it's more
tightly regulated / run / controlled by the government and so has the
right Big Brother overtones I suppose.

Or what do Americans think?  Anyone here wanna admit to being one?

Didn't PBS have storefronts too?  Lots of eCommerce goes on:
http://www.shoppbs.org/home/index.jsp  (reminds me of the Post Office,
from which I bough neck ties).

I haven't looked at the BBC's on-line gift shop yet.  Does it sell
computers?  TVs?

Kirby

PS:  I'm wondering if you know Dr. Ian Benson as your thinking seems
rather similar to his in some way.  He was based at Stanford last I
knew.  He talked about the BBC quite a bit.


On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Alan O'Donohoe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok - I know I upset a lot of Pythonistas with my "BBC CodeLab" stunt at
> PyconUK. I do sincerely regret any upset I caused anyone, the talk was meant
> to stimulate talk and discussion about whether it was a good idea and how
> feasible it could be. I accept I was wholly misguided in using such a rouse
> when there was already so much good work taking place. I did have honourable
> intentions, but used nefarious means to achieve my goal of raising the
> profile of computing in schools.
> If you dare watch the talk, you will find it
> hereĀ http://teachcomputing.wordpress.com/2011/09/26/bbc-b-to-python-gcse/
>
> Suffice to say, I will be eating 'Humble Pi' or HumblePy for some time to
> come. ;-)
>
> So - imagine how surprised I was to discover in the last few days that the
> real BBC (not the one in my head) are actually seriously considering a BBC
> Micro in schools project! I thought my Christmas had come early! I don't
> wish to claim any credit for this, I am sure it was something that was
> already on the table before I came and opened my big gob.
>
> If you don't believe me - that's ok with me. The fable of 'The Boy Who Cried
> Wolf' springs to mind.
>
> So you don't need to take my word for it, Professor Keri Facer of Manchester
> Metropolitan Uni has been asked by the BBC to gather a network of teachers,
> programmers/developers and university lecturers/professors to gauge te level
> of interest in a 'BBC Micro Project'
>
> She requests that anyone with an interest email her directly
> atĀ [hidden email]
>
> Can I please urge anyone who values the principle of allowing children in
> the UK to experience a little (or a lot) of what programming is to contact
> her and express your interest.
>
> If we want the BBC to sit up and take an interest - we need to show our
> level of interest and commitment to this cause.
>
> Alan O'Donohoe
> @teknoteacher
> 07791 126056
> _______________________________________________
> Edu-sig mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig
>
>
_______________________________________________
Edu-sig mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig