IronPython and XML Parsing

Markus Schaber-6
Hi,

Currently, none of the XML parsers of the Python standard library seem
to work with IronPython, as they all depend on expat.

According to
http://devhawk.net/2008/05/06/Stream+Processing+XML+In+IronPython.aspx,
the FePy project contains a drop in replacement based on System.XML:
https://fepy.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/fepy/trunk/lib/pyexpat.py.

Has anyone successfully tried this implementation? What about including
it into the IronPython distribution?

PS: Is FePy still alive at all? The last commit seems to be from July
2009...

Regards,
Markus

Re: IronPython and XML Parsing

Jeff Hardy-4
On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM, Markus Schaber
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone successfully tried this implementation? What about including
> it into the IronPython distribution?

The fepy version is incomplete, but it mostly works. I haven't run the
tests in a while, though, so I'm not sure how incomplete it is. I'm
also unsure if we can get 100% compatibility using System.Xml; much
like sqlite, it may have to p/invoke the C expat lib for perfect
combatibility.

pyexpat is one of the last builtin modules not included (I should be
able to land _ast this weekend and unicodedata "soon"). If anyone
sends a pull request with the majority of the tests passing, I'd be
very happy to include it.

> PS: Is FePy still alive at all? The last commit seems to be from July
> 2009...

I don't think so.

- Jeff

Re: IronPython and XML Parsing

Vernon D. Cole
I have sent several emails to Seo asking him about the status of fepy,
and received no response.  I think this would be a great place to
build a "fatter" distribution of IronPython, with more modules
attached, and a set of Linux binaries.  (Besides, I hate having my
name associated with a dead project - Mike Foord and Jeff too, I would
suppose.)

It is possible to get sourceforge to add new administrators to a
project like this when the administrator of record drops out of site.
That is how I ended up with adodbapi. Should I / we / one-of-us apply
to take over the project?
--
Vernon Cole

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have sent several emails to Seo asking him about the status of fepy,
> and received no response.  I think this would be a great place to
> build a "fatter" distribution of IronPython, with more modules
> attached, and a set of Linux binaries.  (Besides, I hate having my
> name associated with a dead project - Mike Foord and Jeff too, I would
> suppose.)

Linux-specific binaries shouldn't be needed anymore - they should work
out of the box on Mono (although if you want to maintain the .NET
2.0/IronPython 2.7 builds, that might be useful). As for libraries, I
would like to see the packaging tools like pip working on IronPython
so you could just do `ipip install fepy` and get the bonus modules.

- Jeff

Re: IronPython and XML Parsing

Vernon D. Cole
I was thinking of an actual .deb file, which will put everything in
the right place, hook up menus and whatnot, like the Windows installer
does. I thought I'd try that after I finally manage to create a .NET
2.0 build which works. [I re-built my Ubuntu box last weekend so that
I can start over. My earlier efforts resulted in killing my old Ubuntu
installation, and the openSUSE I replaced it with was an interesting
experiment, but not something I can use on a day-by-day basis.]  I
want the next guy to have less trouble than me.
  I was thinking of using fepy to perhaps collect lots of optional
modules -- like the db-api modules which are already there -- in one
place so they are easy to find and load.  PyPi has lots of modules,
but how many of them will run on IronPython? The only one I am sure
about is the one I support myself.  I think a modest core of extra
(non-standard-library) modules would be nice. I definitely do want to
have the packaging tools working, too, but I would like to not have to
go hunting and experimenting.
  My first thought was to package everything EXCEPT the Python
installer, just use the distro installer (on Linux) or the .msi
installer, and then add the extras from fepy.  But I started to change
my mind at the announcement that there would not be a .NET 2.0 release
of IPy 2.7.
  Perhaps not having a 2.7 which runs on my distro is making me a bit crazy?
--
Vernon

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Jeff Hardy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 11:07 AM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have sent several emails to Seo asking him about the status of fepy,
>> and received no response.  I think this would be a great place to
>> build a "fatter" distribution of IronPython, with more modules
>> attached, and a set of Linux binaries.  (Besides, I hate having my
>> name associated with a dead project - Mike Foord and Jeff too, I would
>> suppose.)
>
> Linux-specific binaries shouldn't be needed anymore - they should work
> out of the box on Mono (although if you want to maintain the .NET
> 2.0/IronPython 2.7 builds, that might be useful). As for libraries, I
> would like to see the packaging tools like pip working on IronPython
> so you could just do `ipip install fepy` and get the bonus modules.
>
> - Jeff

Re: IronPython and XML Parsing

Doug Blank
As the the original issue, I couldn't get the FePy XML parser to work
(nor any variation), so gave up, and went with a stand-alone XMPP dll
that does it all. It would be most excellent to get a expat module
working.

To Vernon's point:

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 1:58 PM, Vernon Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was thinking of an actual .deb file, which will put everything in
> the right place, hook up menus and whatnot, like the Windows installer
> does. I thought I'd try that after I finally manage to create a .NET
> 2.0 build which works. [I re-built my Ubuntu box last weekend so that
> I can start over. My earlier efforts resulted in killing my old Ubuntu
> installation, and the openSUSE I replaced it with was an interesting
> experiment, but not something I can use on a day-by-day basis.]  I
> want the next guy to have less trouble than me.
>  I was thinking of using fepy to perhaps collect lots of optional
> modules -- like the db-api modules which are already there -- in one
> place so they are easy to find and load.  PyPi has lots of modules,
> but how many of them will run on IronPython? The only one I am sure
> about is the one I support myself.  I think a modest core of extra
> (non-standard-library) modules would be nice. I definitely do want to
> have the packaging tools working, too, but I would like to not have to
> go hunting and experimenting.

I'd rather have all of the old FePy-like support here. I don't see a
reason we need to divide Windows IronPython from Linux etc IronPython,
right?

>  My first thought was to package everything EXCEPT the Python
> installer, just use the distro installer (on Linux) or the .msi
> installer, and then add the extras from fepy.  But I started to change
> my mind at the announcement that there would not be a .NET 2.0 release
> of IPy 2.7.
>  Perhaps not having a 2.7 which runs on my distro is making me a bit crazy?

Why can't we have a IPy 2.7 for .NET 2.0? It builds nicely, now, and
should be fine as a drop-in replacement for what ubuntu (and others)
were packaging before.

-Doug

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:14 PM, Doug Blank <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Why can't we have a IPy 2.7 for .NET 2.0? It builds nicely, now, and
> should be fine as a drop-in replacement for what ubuntu (and others)
> were packaging before.

Someone else will have to volunteer to maintain it. I'm hoping to make
some changes to the CI server (which does 2.0 builds now as well, to
make sure that it still compiles) to properly generate nightly zip
builds; would that be enough?

- Jeff

Re: IronPython and XML Parsing

Vernon D. Cole
I sent a message to the Ubuntu group to see what they need in order to
get an IPy 2.7 official release package into the distro support.  I
think that is the first step -- to make it accessible for "normal"
users.
  Then we need the nightly stuff for developers, to get expat, etc,
working.  Depending on when Debian/Ubuntu upgrade to Mono 2.10, which
may be a year or more away, continued support for .NET 2 may be a good
idea for IronPython for a little while yet. Perhaps even for the first
3.n release.
--
Vernon