Is CherryPy dead?

irrgit

Greetings,
I have this past year been using the CherryPy framework for a couple of projects
and love everything about it. Alas everywhere I go online i dont find anything
good or what i expect to find for what i consider such a great framework.
Have people moved to other frameworks? Are CherryPy users hermits?
Its discouraging to go online and search for benchmarks and comparisons only to
find little to none when it comes to CherryPy.
Everywhere you go , all you see is info about Flask/Django etc. I look at their
Hello World examples and scoff at how convoluted and messy they seem. What is
CherryPy missing.
Recently I wanted to learn something new just not to stay rusty so I researched
what to learn ( concerning python web frameworks) and couldnt decide.
CherryPy has about 1000 questions on StackOverflow , flask 18 times that, and
Django about 8 times the amount of flask. Clearly less people are talking about
CherryPy online which sometimes makes it harder to find a solution to something
which is CherryPy specific, but I rarely encounter those issues.

I personally love CherryPy and everything about it, I especially love the part
where I dont even know im using CherryPy because it never gets in my way, it
feels just like writing only python.

Considering future endeavors is it a good decision to keep using CherryPy or
learn something which is more marketable/popular/hip?

Re: Is CherryPy dead?

Andrew Maizels
It just works, so there's fewer changes and fewer questions.  I'm glad the devs haven't tried to turn it into a Djangoesque platform.

It's worth also learning Django, but keep CherryPy in your toolbox.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Joseph S. Tate <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ahh... We are all heroes; you and Boo and I.
Hamsters and rangers everywhere, rejoice!
Read Peopleware! http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second/dp/0932633439

Re: Is CherryPy dead?

irrgit
Apologies for the double post.  I like the part where it just works and doesn't get in your way. I will also try to learn Django and/or Flask.
Another question came to mind.

Is there a need to use uWSGI with CherryPy? Usually i just put nginx in front and be done. But Ive seen  setups with uWSGI as well.

Re: Is CherryPy dead?

Joseph S. Tate
I've mostly done the NGINX thing, though I have used uwsgi for some small apps, I think for small sites, nginx is fine, but when you start to need more than one GIL, uWSGI steps in nicely. Beats having multiple config files and supervisor for managing all those processes, the orchestration of which has caused a number of problems in trying to build a zero downtime deployment system.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 10:20 AM irrgit <[hidden email]> wrote:
Apologies for the double post.  I like the part where it just works and doesn't get in your way. I will also try to learn Django and/or Flask.
Another question came to mind.

Is there a need to use uWSGI with CherryPy? Usually i just put nginx in front and be done. But Ive seen  setups with uWSGI as well.

Re: Is CherryPy dead?

David Allouche-2
Here, we use cherrypy for our main product, with some decent traffic. It's not "web scale" and it does not involve tons of virtualized servers, but it's definitely at the scale where bottlenecks are visible and brittle code breaks. And cherrypy is not one of those.

It's simple and extensible, and does everything we need it to. And when I have a question, I just look at the source code.

If you need to convince investors, or potential recruits, with the latest trendy stuff, it might be a good idea to use something else. But if you need a simple, reliable, mature, and battle-hardened micro framework for Python, I would definitely recommend cherrypy.

On 30 Oct 2017, 21:50 +0100, irrgit <[hidden email]>, wrote:

[...]

Michiel Overtoom
Hi Irrgit,

Our main web site is served for years now by CherryPy, and we have no reasons to migrate to other systems. It is fronted with nginx.

I do have to add some extra insight to the conversation tho, and that is why I chose CherryPy over other Python web frameworks almost a decade ago, when I had to make choices about which web framework to choose. That is because I had to build a website that could accomodate 1800 different domains. After some questing I found a good candidate: CherryPy's 'VirtualDispatch' was the most adjusted to my wishes, much more so than Django or Flask (which didn't even exist at that time).

Since then, CherryPy has stuck and has never let us down. We use it for simple webservice endpoints also.

Greetings,

Re: Is CherryPy dead?

Andrea Esuli
I just joined to support this message.
Cherrypy is well alive.

It works, it is simple, clear, effective.
Minimal, but not missing any relevant feature.
Yet, not clogged with tons of feats that are unrelated with its core goal.
It is very pythonic.

I'm using it in a project involving many other packages (sqlalchemy, mako templates, sklearn,...) and it fits perfectly with all the other components. Love it.

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 1:11 PM, Joseph S. Tate <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="j9byJvElBAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">dragon...@...> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 4:50 PM irrgit <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="j9byJvElBAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">irr...@...> wrote:

Read Peopleware! <a href="http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second/dp/0932633439" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPeopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second%2Fdp%2F0932633439\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGhnhdXr8L8VXAXvpeAXSgo1dyCGw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FPeopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second%2Fdp%2F0932633439\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNGhnhdXr8L8VXAXvpeAXSgo1dyCGw&#39;;return true;">http://www.amazon.com/Peopleware-Productive-Projects-Teams-Second/dp/0932633439