Is it safe to assume that Python 2.7 is always built with unicode support?

Is it safe to assume that Python 2.7 is always built with unicode support?

Stefano Taschini
Hello every one,

I'm looking into issue 1065986 [1], and in order to submit a patch I need to know whether I have to take into account the eventuality that cpyhon 2.7 be built without unicode support.

As far as I can see it is no longer possible to configure cpython 2.7 with --disable-unicode as a consequence of the merge 59157:62babf456005 on 27 Feb 2010 of the commit 59153:8b2048bca33c of the same day.

Since I could not find an discussion on the topic leading explicitly to this decision, I was wondering whether this is in fact an unintended consequence of the check introduced in 59153:8b2048bca33c, which excludes "no" from the acceptable values for configuring unicode support.

In conclusion, can you guys confirm that I don't have to worry that cpython 2.7 could be built with no unicode support? Or not?

If so, shouldn't it be properly documented, at least in Misc/NEWS ?

Bye,
Stefano

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue1065986

Re: Is it safe to assume that Python 2.7 is always built with unicode support?

"Martin v. Löwis"
> I'm looking into issue 1065986 [1], and in order to submit a patch I need
> to know whether I have to take into account the eventuality that cpyhon 2.7
> be built without unicode support.

It's intended (at least, it is *my* intention) that Python 2.7 can be built
without Unicode support, and it's a bug if that is not possible anymore.
Certain embedded configurations might want that.

That doesn't mean that the bug needs to be fixed; this can be deferred until
somebody actually requests that bug being fixed, or better, until somebody
contributes a patch to do so.

However, it *does* mean that we shouldn't further break the feature, at least
not knowingly.

OTOH, it's clear that certain functionality cannot work if Unicode is
disabled,
so it may be acceptable if pydoc breaks in such a configuration.

Regards,
Martin

Re: Is it safe to assume that Python 2.7 is always built with unicode support?

Stefano Taschini
Understood.

May I suggest that http://bugs.python.org/issue8767 be reopened, to make things clear?

    Stefano

On 26 April 2012 16:01, <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

R. David Murray
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:07:46 +0200, Stefano Taschini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> May I suggest that http://bugs.python.org/issue8767 be reopened, to make
> things clear?

Done.

--David

PS: we prefer no top-posting on this list.  It makes it far easier
to retain just enough context to make a message stand on its own
when properly edited.