Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Jason Moore
I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e. without downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that possible?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791

Re: Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Nicholas Bollweg

I see a lot of problems with this, but would desperately love to see it happen.

If some route on tmpnb used the same url scheme as nbviewer, and we knew which kernels were there, it would be possible to make every notebook up there viewable... Maybe even use nbviewer as a first pass filter.

The issues:
- no real knowledge of which kernels are available in tmpnb (working on this)
- no concise metadata for what should be available when the kernel starts (requirements.txt)
- many notebooks use other things (code, assets) stored along with them... What should we being along? For repos, that would be "easy," for raw URLs that would be "impossible".
- At the end of a session... So what? Likely will never add authentication to tmpnb, so it would be hard to get your data back out... Fine for playground stuff, but...

On 08:11, Mon, Jun 1, 2015 Jason Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e. without downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that possible?

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791

Re: Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

rossant
Perhaps another option could be to use sharecell and thebe?
https://github.com/rgbkrk/share-cell
https://github.com/oreillymedia/thebe

I imagine one could create a pure client-side JS app that downloads a
public notebook and displays one interactive cell per notebook cell.

> I see a lot of problems with this, but would desperately love to see it
> happen.
>
> If some route on tmpnb used the same url scheme as nbviewer, and we knew
> which kernels were there, it would be possible to make every notebook up
> there viewable... Maybe even use nbviewer as a first pass filter.
>
> The issues:
> - no real knowledge of which kernels are available in tmpnb (working on
> this)
> - no concise metadata for what should be available when the kernel starts
> (requirements.txt)
> - many notebooks use other things (code, assets) stored along with them...
> What should we being along? For repos, that would be "easy," for raw URLs
> that would be "impossible".
> - At the end of a session... So what? Likely will never add authentication
> to tmpnb, so it would be hard to get your data back out... Fine for
> playground stuff, but...
>

> On 08:11, Mon, Jun 1, 2015 Jason Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in
>> their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e. without
>> downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that possible?
>>
>> Jason
>> moorepants.info
>> +01 530-601-9791

Re: Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Kyle Kelley
I see a lot of problems with this

I assume you're saying the inherent cross site scripting issue with this. If we ever enabled it, it wouldn't be a default on tmpnb (the code, not the service). The related issue for this is https://github.com/jupyter/docker-demo-images/issues/16 (I should open a new one...)

If someone wants to add it on to jupyter/tmpnb, it's a matter of making the redirect uri an optional GET param for the spawn handler (that should be disabled at the server level by default): https://github.com/jupyter/tmpnb/blob/d74561c7ff80721b4aefea66ab435459e59dfe9a/orchestrate.py#L68

> Perhaps another option could be to use sharecell and thebe

Pairing it up with github.js is quite neat, I did a bit of a mockup with it earlier but was unsure about a reasonable standard of handling gists. Mimicking nbviewer might be ok. The nice thing there is that it can all be done client side. ;)

The difference between a link to a sharecell "page" and a notebook is that javascript output on sharecell doesn't show until you run the snippet whereas the notebook server will display any trusted notebook.

-- Kyle

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM, Cyrille Rossant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Perhaps another option could be to use sharecell and thebe?
https://github.com/rgbkrk/share-cell
https://github.com/oreillymedia/thebe

I imagine one could create a pure client-side JS app that downloads a
public notebook and displays one interactive cell per notebook cell.

> I see a lot of problems with this, but would desperately love to see it
> happen.
>
> If some route on tmpnb used the same url scheme as nbviewer, and we knew
> which kernels were there, it would be possible to make every notebook up
> there viewable... Maybe even use nbviewer as a first pass filter.
>
> The issues:
> - no real knowledge of which kernels are available in tmpnb (working on
> this)
> - no concise metadata for what should be available when the kernel starts
> (requirements.txt)
> - many notebooks use other things (code, assets) stored along with them...
> What should we being along? For repos, that would be "easy," for raw URLs
> that would be "impossible".
> - At the end of a session... So what? Likely will never add authentication
> to tmpnb, so it would be hard to get your data back out... Fine for
> playground stuff, but...
>

> On 08:11, Mon, Jun 1, 2015 Jason Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in
>> their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e. without
>> downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that possible?
>>
>> Jason
>> moorepants.info
>> +01 <a href="tel:530-601-9791" value="+15306019791">530-601-9791

Re: Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Kyle Kelley
Whoops, just realized I misunderstood your initial question Jason. Sorry!

There's not a way to bring in content from GitHub (or anywhere over the network) from the hosted tmpnb.org because of network lock down. You can pass anything you want in through JavaScript and file upload (as you're doing by bringing the notebook in). This means that if there was any integration between client side tooling, e.g. github.js (https://github.com/michael/github), we could display all manner of things from GitHub within the notebook environment. There's a strong demand for this, including myself.

The starter for an endeavor like this (to do it the right way), would be to write a client side contents service like jupyter-drive (https://github.com/jupyter/jupyter-drive) whose backend was github. prose.io already has a nice setup for simple editing using github.js and it's surprisingly performant.

The missing piece, to me, is data and scripts being available. Considering the notebooks and kernels behave with normal file system operations, it wouldn't have knowledge of the rest of the repository.

Stuff to chew on.

-- Kyle

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 10:05 AM, Kyle Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> - many notebooks use other things (code, assets) stored along with them...
> What should we being along? For repos, that would be "easy," for raw URLs
> that would be "impossible".
> - At the end of a session... So what? Likely will never add authentication
> to tmpnb, so it would be hard to get your data back out... Fine for
> playground stuff, but...
>

> On 08:11, Mon, Jun 1, 2015 Jason Moore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to provide a url in a lecture that the audience can enter in
>> their browser opening tmpnb.org with a particular notebook (i.e. without
>> downloading the notebook, uploading, and then opening it). Is that possible?
>>
>> Jason
>> moorepants.info
>> +01 <a href="tel:530-601-9791" value="+15306019791" target="_blank">530-601-9791

Re: Is there a way to open a notebook via one click in tmpnb.org?

Thanks Kyle,

The issue: https://github.com/jupyter/docker-demo-images/issues/16 is exactly what I was hoping existed. It'd be nice to simply click a button on a notebook in nbviewer and it opens up in a tmpnb.org instance. But obviously from the conversation there is more than meets the eye.

Jason
moorepants.info
+01 530-601-9791