It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Richard Jones-7
Hi all,

The next Melbourne Python Users Group meeting will be on the 4th of
July at RMIT. Full details and talk signup at http://j.mp/mpug

I'll be talking about mooch (it won't take long). And the PyCon AU
program. We may get some PyCon AU talk previews...

Feel free to sign up to talk if you've discovered something cool
recently and think it's worth sharing.

See you there!

    Richard

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Javier Candeira
I'll be there IFF there's no new baby...

On 27 June 2011 09:32, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The next Melbourne Python Users Group meeting will be on the 4th of
> July at RMIT. Full details and talk signup at http://j.mp/mpug
>
> I'll be talking about mooch (it won't take long). And the PyCon AU
> program. We may get some PyCon AU talk previews...

Actually, I won't be able to make it at all as I'll be in
single-parent mode. This means the talk slate is clean. Anyone can
step up at this point! :-)

     Richard

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

John Thorn-2
I am sure that you won't have any problems finding speakers. Mr Dewhirst could always give a speech on why he thinks that django is better than the other umpteen
web application frameworks. On second thoughts, don't allow him to ever give such a talk; I get no joy out of someone looking like a fool for saying something that's
utterly indefensible.

I will bang on about this point till the year dot. I would NEVER make such a statement. Not Cake, not asp.NET, not ROR, not anything. To say what Mike said
is as dumb as saying that the only car that's worth driving is say, a F1 Ferrari race car. Just because it's faster than a dune buggy doesn't preclude the dune buggy from
doing stuff that a Ferrari can not do.

One tip in life: do not make stupid absolutist statements around arts graduates like myself. We know how to think. We haven't spent our lives staring at pointers.

Andrew Thornton

> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:23:48 +1000

> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!
>
> On 27 June 2011 09:32, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The next Melbourne Python Users Group meeting will be on the 4th of
> > July at RMIT. Full details and talk signup at http://j.mp/mpug
> >
> > I'll be talking about mooch (it won't take long). And the PyCon AU
> > program. We may get some PyCon AU talk previews...
>
> Actually, I won't be able to make it at all as I'll be in
> single-parent mode. This means the talk slate is clean. Anyone can
> step up at this point! :-)
>

> Richard

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

William Leslie-2
At Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:52:07 +1000,
Andrew Thornton wrote:
> I am sure that you won't have any problems finding speakers. Mr
> Dewhirst could always give a speech on why he thinks that django is
> better than the other umpteen web application frameworks. On second
> thoughts, don't allow him to ever give such a talk; I get no joy out
> of someone looking like a fool for saying something that's utterly
> indefensible.

I can't find that quote in my logs.

Yet, so what?  People will have opinions that differ from yours.  If
you write a whiny email for every time someone is wrong on the
internet, you will be very busy.  You won't have time to get around to
statements you merely disagree with.

There is one exception: where people are wrong because they are simply
not aware of some of the issues involved.  But ultimately, if people
don't want to learn, there is nothing you can teach them.

Besides, there are far more interesting points to argue about.

> I will bang on about this point till the year dot. I would NEVER
> make such a statement. Not Cake, not asp.NET, not ROR, not
> anything. To say what Mike said is as dumb as saying that the only
> car that's worth driving is say, a F1 Ferrari race car. Just because
> it's faster than a dune buggy doesn't preclude the dune buggy from
> doing stuff that a Ferrari can not do.

Good for you, I guess.

> One tip in life: do not make stupid absolutist statements around
> arts graduates like myself. We know how to think. We haven't spent
> our lives staring at pointers.

Sorry, elitism doesn't impress anybody.  Qualifications don't mean a
thing if you aren't saying anything meaningful after all.  In fact, if
you are, they don't mean anything either.

I think I'm not the only one that is getting tired of these pointless
and off-topic personal attacks, especially because they are ruining
the mood of the PUG.  Please consider directing your energy elsewhere.

William ML Leslie

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Anthony Briggs-3
Andrew,

Just to make it completely clear, flaming people like this on the list
is utterly unacceptable. This is the second time you've done it -
please cut it out.

Thanks,

Anthony

On 27 June 2011 20:52, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am sure that you won't have any problems finding speakers. Mr Dewhirst
> could always give a speech on why he thinks that django is better than the
> other umpteen
> web application frameworks. On second thoughts, don't allow him to ever give
> such a talk; I get no joy out of someone looking like a fool for saying
> something that's
> utterly indefensible.
>
> I will bang on about this point till the year dot. I would NEVER make such a
> statement. Not Cake, not asp.NET, not ROR, not anything. To say what Mike
> said
> is as dumb as saying that the only car that's worth driving is say, a F1
> Ferrari race car. Just because it's faster than a dune buggy doesn't
> preclude the dune buggy from
> doing stuff that a Ferrari can not do.
>
> One tip in life: do not make stupid absolutist statements around arts
> graduates like myself. We know how to think. We haven't spent our lives
> staring at pointers.
>
> Andrew Thornton
>
>> Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 19:23:48 +1000
>> From: [hidden email]
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] It's the dead of winter, of course you want
>> to MPUG!
>>
>> On 27 June 2011 09:32, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > The next Melbourne Python Users Group meeting will be on the 4th of
>> > July at RMIT. Full details and talk signup at http://j.mp/mpug
>> >
>> > I'll be talking about mooch (it won't take long). And the PyCon AU
>> > program. We may get some PyCon AU talk previews...
>>
>> Actually, I won't be able to make it at all as I'll be in
>> single-parent mode. This means the talk slate is clean. Anyone can
>> step up at this point! :-)
>>

>> Richard

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Tennessee Leeuwenburg-3

Andrew,

Your email is completely unacceptable. Regardless of your personal views, which are of course your own, this is not a reasonable way to communicate in a public forum. If you would like to discuss this, please let me know.

To anyone else on the mailing list, this is not the tone or style of the MPUG meetings and I would encourage you to feel comfortable to attend without any risk of an earbashing like this.

I am not sure that we have set a clear policy for this mailing list, however I would suggest that the best way to deal with a troll is to starve them of air rather than engaging with the topic. I am sure the list moderators will be discussing this further to make sure it does not recur.

Mike, I apologise for any offense this has caused you.

Regards,
Tennessee

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Ryan Verner
Don't feed the troll.

On 27 June 2011 22:29, Ryan Verner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Don't feed the troll.

Yep - there's been enough said on the topic now.

Thanks,

Anthony

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Mike Dewhirst-3
On 27/06/2011 9:56pm, Tennessee Leeuwenburg wrote:

> Andrew,
>
> Your email is completely unacceptable. Regardless of your personal
> views, which are of course your own, this is not a reasonable way to
> communicate in a public forum. If you would like to discuss this,
> please let me know.
>
> To anyone else on the mailing list, this is not the tone or style of
> the MPUG meetings and I would encourage you to feel comfortable to
> attend without any risk of an earbashing like this.
>
> I am not sure that we have set a clear policy for this mailing list,
> however I would suggest that the best way to deal with a troll is to
> starve them of air rather than engaging with the topic. I am sure the
> list moderators will be discussing this further to make sure it does
> not recur.
>
> Mike, I apologise for any offense this has caused you.

Tennessee (and others)

Don't worry. I don't. I'm sure Andrew will recover his equilibrium in
due course.

BTW - my apologies for Monday. I'll be attending a 4yo birthday party in
Perth :)

Cheers

Mike

> Regards,
> Tennessee
>
> On 27/06/2011 8:53 PM, "Andrew Thornton" <[hidden email]

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

Ryan Kelly
On Mon, 2011-06-27 at 19:23 +1000, Richard Jones wrote:

> On 27 June 2011 09:32, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The next Melbourne Python Users Group meeting will be on the 4th of
> > July at RMIT. Full details and talk signup at http://j.mp/mpug
> >
> > I'll be talking about mooch (it won't take long). And the PyCon AU
> > program. We may get some PyCon AU talk previews...
>
> Actually, I won't be able to make it at all as I'll be in
> single-parent mode. This means the talk slate is clean. Anyone can
> step up at this point! :-)
Oh all right, y'all twisted my arm ;-)

I'll do a bit of a spiel about supervisord and a neat little
django/supervisord integration hook I put together recently.

  Cheers,

    Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly
http://www.rfk.id.au  |  This message is digitally signed. Please visit

Re: It's the dead of winter, of course you want to MPUG!

paul sorenson-6
On 27/06/11 20:52, Andrew Thornton wrote:

One tip in life: do not make stupid absolutist statements around arts graduates like myself. We know how to think. We haven't spent our lives staring at pointers.

When I saw that absolutist statement I was sure he was joking.