Joining my first SIG

Zac Miller
Hello!

I've just joined this SIG, my first, and looked over a few of the archived threads from last few months.  My name is Zac Miller and I am currently teaching Python programming to college and middle school level students.

I am curious if there are many K12 educators involved in this SIG?  I am looking for people to discuss my student's progress with and it seems to be hard to find others using Python in this setting.

I am also considering putting together a talk proposal for PyCon 2011.  So far my ideas for a talk would be a brief introduction of myself and my experiences learning and teaching Python in the past year.  I attended PyCon 2010 as student.  Beyond that brief introduction I would like to discuss the state of programming in K12 education in the state of Georgia, as much of it as I have been able to untangle, and ideas for improving it.

I've completed a few open record requests to the Georgia Department of Education pulling enrollment number for programming and computer science courses for the entire state.  What would make for an interested PyCon talk on K12 education involving Python?  Does anyone have similar data or a summary of programming education for another state they wouldn't mind sharing for me to use as comparison?  Anyone interested in doing a Panel proposal?

Thanks!

-J. Zachary Miller

Fwd: Joining my first SIG

André Roberge
Oops, used reply to user rather than to the whole list.

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 7:39 PM, Zac Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

I've just joined this SIG, my first, and looked over a few of the archived threads from last few months.  My name is Zac Miller and I am currently teaching Python programming to college and middle school level students.

I am curious if there are many K12 educators involved in this SIG?  I am looking for people to discuss my student's progress with and it seems to be hard to find others using Python in this setting.

I know that there are a few at least, including some long time contributors (Andy Judkis and Jeff Elkner for instance).  Hopefully they will chime in.

I am also considering putting together a talk proposal for PyCon 2011.  So far my ideas for a talk would be a brief introduction of myself and my experiences learning and teaching Python in the past year.  I attended PyCon 2010 as student.  Beyond that brief introduction I would like to discuss the state of programming in K12 education in the state of Georgia, as much of it as I have been able to untangle, and ideas for improving it.

There's usually a meeting organized for one evening by edu-sig people during PyCon.   I don't know if I'll be going to Pycon this year, but I would strongly encourage you to look up other edu-sig people at that meeting.

André Roberge

I've completed a few open record requests to the Georgia Department of Education pulling enrollment number for programming and computer science courses for the entire state.  What would make for an interested PyCon talk on K12 education involving Python?  Does anyone have similar data or a summary of programming education for another state they wouldn't mind sharing for me to use as comparison?  Anyone interested in doing a Panel proposal?

Thanks!

-J. Zachary Miller

Re: Joining my first SIG

Vern Ceder
Hi Zac,

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Zac Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello!

I've just joined this SIG, my first, and looked over a few of the archived threads from last few months.  My name is Zac Miller and I am currently teaching Python programming to college and middle school level students.

I am curious if there are many K12 educators involved in this SIG?  I am looking for people to discuss my student's progress with and it seems to be hard to find others using Python in this setting.

I'm the technology director and programming teacher at Canterbury, a private school in Ft Wayne, IN. We've been teaching at least a little Python to every single 8th and 9th grader in the school since 2001, as well as offering electives in Python, Java, C, etc.

Right now, our Python class is using the same robot/bluetooth board that Georgia Tech uses (http://wiki.roboteducation.org) which has been a blast. I'm also teaching an online Python enrichment course to middle school kids through Northwestern University's Gifted Learning Links program (http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/courses/enrichment/courses/), using Warren and Carter Sande's _Hello, World!_.

As André mentioned there are a few of us on this list, so go ahead and raise your questions.

[...]

I'd be available for a panel, and would be willing to work on a proposal, but don't think I have the time to be a main organizer of one... Also, as the chair of PyCon's poster session, let me encourage you to consider presenting some of your findings as a poster. Even if you submit a talk or panel (and even if they get turned down) you can still submit a poster proposal.

Cheers,
Vern Ceder

Thanks!

-J. Zachary Miller

This time for sure!
   -Bullwinkle J. Moose
-----------------------------
Vern Ceder, Director of Technology
Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804
[hidden email]; 260-436-0746; FAX: 260-436-5137

The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Re: Fwd: Joining my first SIG

A. Jorge Garcia
As luck would have it, I just blogged about my High School Python
class!  See blogspot link below.

HTH,
A. Jorge Garcia
http://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com
http://www.youtube.com/calcpage2009

Teacher & Professor
Applied Mathematics, Physics & Computer Science
Baldwin Senior High School & Nassau Community College

Re: Joining my first SIG

Helene Martin
You can see two versions of a Python course I've given in Seattle at a
public high school linked from
http://www.garfieldcs.com/creative-computing/  All resources are up
for grabs if they interest you unless attributed to others.  Happy to
discuss with you or others if interested.  It's been pretty popular
and I look forward to having two sections of it next semester.

On Sat, Oct 23, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Zac Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've just joined this SIG, my first, and looked over a few of the archived threads from last few months.  My name is Zac Miller and I am currently teaching Python programming to college and middle school level students.
>
> I am curious if there are many K12 educators involved in this SIG?  I am looking for people to discuss my student's progress with and it seems to be hard to find others using Python in this setting.
>
> I am also considering putting together a talk proposal for PyCon 2011.  So far my ideas for a talk would be a brief introduction of myself and my experiences learning and teaching Python in the past year.  I attended PyCon 2010 as student.  Beyond that brief introduction I would like to discuss the state of programming in K12 education in the state of Georgia, as much of it as I have been able to untangle, and ideas for improving it.
>
> I've completed a few open record requests to the Georgia Department of Education pulling enrollment number for programming and computer science courses for the entire state.  What would make for an interested PyCon talk on K12 education involving Python?  Does anyone have similar data or a summary of programming education for another state they wouldn't mind sharing for me to use as comparison?  Anyone interested in doing a Panel proposal?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -J. Zachary Miller

Re: Joining my first SIG

Andy Judkis
Hi Zac (et al),

I teach 10th graders a course called Principles of Computer Technology
that includes about 4 weeks of programming at the end, using Python.  We
always start with about 4 days using RUR-PLE, which I think is the cat's
pajamas, and then go on to using IDLE to do some simple stuff.  This
year for the first time I did a 'getting to know you' project using
Scratch, and I'll be interested to see if that exposure helps them grasp
the basics of Python a little quicker.

Also, last summer I took a seminar on Media Computing with Mark Guzdial
(amazing guy, if he went into politics I'd vote for him in a heartbeat)
and am considering introducing some of that material.  For me, the
tradeoff is that the media computing projects are really cool, but the
Jython environment is not as friendly and I'm afraid it may be
discouraging given the short time we have to work with.  Anybody have an
opinion on this?

Thanks,
Andy

Re: Joining my first SIG

kirby urner-4
Hi Zak --

Glad you've joined us.

I used to be a full time high school math teacher in the 1980s (Jersey
City), then worked at McGraw-Hill.

We all though Logo and BASIC might be getting a mind-slice in
pre-college math, but Texas Instruments won with math wars.

These days, I sometimes get to field test through Saturday Academy.

Martian Math was the latest such prototype (ongoing in other formats).

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2102469&tstart=0

Portland Public has also used my services (GIS / GPS a focus -- big on
geography around here).

I tend to think Python + Polyhedra could be a real sweet spot in the
curriculum because Polyhedra are "objects" in literal sense yet also
in a mathematical sense.

Learning about "math objects" starting with Polyhedra, other geometric
concepts, seems an ideal application of an OO language.

I tend to use VPython quite a bit.

I was sorry to miss Ruth Chabay's demo of Vpython at the recent
American Association of Physics Teachers conference at the downtown
Hilton.

http://www.physics.ncsu.edu/people/faculty_chabay.html

Kirby