Jython 2.7.1 final soft release

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Hi all,

OK, this is it! I've put together a soft release of 2.7.1 final.

Please test! My tests went well, but some extra verification would be
great, especially on Windows. Since this has been pretty thoroughly
tested as rc3, I plan to pull the trigger on the early side tomorrow,
though the finalization process seems to take several hours.

The releases:

installer: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1070/org/python/jython-installer/2.7.1/jython-installer-2.7.1.jar

standalone: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1069/org/python/jython-standalone/2.7.1/jython-standalone-2.7.1.jar

The parent directories of each of the above have the checksums, source
jars, javadocs, etc.

-Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 final soft release

Jim Baker-2
Just in time for 2017-07-01 tomorrow! Note that we will not attempt to follow this release schedule in the future, it was just convenient given the two week cycle we have been attempting during these final releases. And a small attempt to have fun about similar announced released dates for movies and TV shows.

I'm going to try to put something together soon for the initial new version of the docs, but no guarantee it will land tomorrow. Sorry about that! But recently I have been personally very busy, as is too often the case, in my own work.

We did have one bug reported in the last couple of days, http://bugs.jython.org/issue2599, re PowerShell (and possibly under launchers) unable to run Jython if Jython itself is on a shared network drive for Windows. This should be fixed, but in my judgment this can be looked at during the 2.7.2 release cycle.

- Jim

On Fri, Jun 30, 2017 at 1:24 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

OK, because I know that the maven finalization process takes many
hours, I went ahead and got a free trial of Azure to try things out on
Windows. I was mainly looking for a sanity check, and that worked out
just fine. I did encounter a couple of problems:

jython.exe complained about python.dll with an "error 14001". From
Googling around (I gave up on Binging around and IE really fast :) --
I suspect this is because the Azure server settings are highly locked
down by default. Still:

java -jar jython.jar -m test.regrtest -e -m regrtest_memo.txt

gave a handful of errors (again I suspect tight security)

So given that the RC did quite well for folks with much stronger
Windows-fu than I have, I say this is enough sanity testing and I'll
finalize the release shortly.

Normally I wouldn't rush so much, but the 2017-7-1 thing is too nice.
Worst thing that could happen is an early 2.7.2 ;)

-Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 final soft release

Jeff Allen-2
The 14001 error also came up here:
https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/78#issuecomment-309975998

My Windows fu is not strong enough to understand it properly. I found
some pointers, and it seems there may be a user work-around, but it will
take some time to investigate. This has definitely not turned up in
testing on my machine. Put another way, I can't currently reproduce it.

Jeff

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 3:38 PM, Jeff Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The 14001 error also came up here:
> https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/78#issuecomment-309975998
>
> My Windows fu is not strong enough to understand it properly.
Better than mine I'd wager! :)

> I found some
> pointers, and it seems there may be a user work-around, but it will take
> some time to investigate. This has definitely not turned up in testing on my
> machine. Put another way, I can't currently reproduce it.
It wasn't so much a bug report as a mia culpa if it turns out my
windows testing was inadequate. If it helps my environment has these
characteristics:

> systeminfo

Host Name:                 frankvm
OS Name:                   Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter
OS Version:                6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600
OS Manufacturer:           Microsoft Corporation
OS Configuration:          Standalone Server
OS Build Type:             Multiprocessor Free
Registered Owner:          Employee
Registered Organization:   Microsoft Corporation
Product ID:                00253-50000-00000-AA250
Original Install Date:     7/1/2017, 5:31:47 PM
System Boot Time:          7/1/2017, 5:29:40 PM
System Manufacturer:       Microsoft Corporation
System Model:              Virtual Machine
System Type:               x64-based PC
Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                           [01]: Intel64 Family 6 Model 63 Stepping 2
GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version:              American Megatrends Inc. 090006 , 5/23/2012
Windows Directory:         C:\Windows
System Directory:          C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device:               \Device\HarddiskVolume1
System Locale:             en-us;English (United States)
Input Locale:              en-us;English (United States)
Time Zone:                 (UTC) Coordinated Universal Time
Total Physical Memory:     3,584 MB
Available Physical Memory: 1,769 MB
Virtual Memory: Max Size:  4,928 MB
Virtual Memory: Available: 3,081 MB
Virtual Memory: In Use:    1,847 MB
Page File Location(s):     D:\pagefile.sys
Domain:                    WORKGROUP
Logon Server:              \\frankvm