Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
Hi all,

I've put together a soft release of 2.7.1 rc2.

Please test! As soon as I get a couple of sanity checks, I'll finalize
the RC and do a real announcement.

The releases:

installer: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1067/org/python/jython-installer/2.7.1-rc3/jython-installer-2.7.1-rc3.jar

standalone: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1068/org/python/jython-standalone/2.7.1-rc3/jython-standalone-2.7.1-rc3.jar

The parent directories of each of the above have the checksums, source
jars, javadocs, etc.

-Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Sat, Jun 17, 2017 at 9:48 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've put together a soft release of 2.7.1 rc2.
of course I meant 2.7.1rc3 :)

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
By the way, a huge thank you to everyone that has worked on
stabilizing the test suite, I haven't seen a single failure in over a
dozen test runs.

-Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

Jeff Allen-2
I tried this on my user account "Épreuve" to check basic non-ascii
handling on Windows. The result is not totally clean, but I would say
we're still ok.

I used the standard installer, but to a directory within
C:\Users\Épreuve\... as non-ascii paths to the installation directory
were an issue. And I ran the regression tests with -e.

I get the test failures noted in http://bugs.jython.org/issue2594 and
http://bugs.jython.org/issue2308, which involve things missing from the
environment we deliver to users, or they are faults in the tests that
expect something different.

I get two failures (in test_socket and test_urllib2_localnet) that are
to do with my ISP's ever more aggressive approach to mis-typed URLs.
This is a change for the worse. Would you believe that on my machine I
can actually ping non.existent.server and get a round-trip time of 20ms?
Thanks guys.

And I get showers of netty errors again. :( But not so as the test fails.

Then I tried pip, which doesn't like non-ascii paths much. pip install
yolk (failed) and then after pip uninstall yolk,  I tried jython -m pip
install yolk (failed). Both failed trying to encode a path to ascii (to
write to file, I think), towards the end of the process, when running
setup_yolk.py (I think). To my surprise, jython -m pip install sphinx
ran to completion (a surprise since it brings so many subsidiary
packages it seemed sure to fail). So I suspect the yolk failure,
although it occurs down in the support libraries, actually stems from
the use of default encoding to write FS-encoded data, traceable back to
yolk itself.

I haven't tried this with Chinese localisation yet, as it takes a bit
more to set up.

Bottom line: our bit works, but doesn't make up for others'
shortcomings. We can all feel justly satisfied.

Jeff

On 17/06/2017 17:48, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've put together a soft release of 2.7.1 rc2.
>
> Please test! As soon as I get a couple of sanity checks, I'll finalize
> the RC and do a real announcement.
>
> The releases:
>
> installer: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1067/org/python/jython-installer/2.7.1-rc3/jython-installer-2.7.1-rc3.jar
>
> standalone: https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1068/org/python/jython-standalone/2.7.1-rc3/jython-standalone-2.7.1-rc3.jar
>
> The parent directories of each of the above have the checksums, source
> jars, javadocs, etc.
>
> -Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
If no one objects, I'll release rc3 for real tonight. If all goes well
we'll make it a real release on 7/1 since as Jim was saying it will be
nice to release 2.7.1 on 7/1 :)

-Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

Stefan Richthofer
Having Jython 2.7.1 release on 2017-7-1 would be awesome! The date is like made for this.
Additionally this release cycle gives us plenty of time to release
2.7.2 on 2027-7-2
and
3.6.0 on 2036-6-0... hmm something wrong here. Should rather be 3006-6-0.. hmmm no.

Best

-Stefan

> Gesendet: Montag, 19. Juni 2017 um 23:51 Uhr
> Von: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Jeff Allen" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Jython-dev] Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release
>
> If no one objects, I'll release rc3 for real tonight. If all goes well
> we'll make it a real release on 7/1 since as Jim was saying it will be
> nice to release 2.7.1 on 7/1 :)
>
> -Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

Jeff Allen-2
I confirm essentially the same results for user 用户名  with Chinese
localisation. (Jython works fine, but pip only if you're ASCII.)

Jeff

On 19/06/2017 08:15, Jeff Allen wrote:

> I tried this on my user account "Épreuve" to check basic non-ascii
> handling on Windows. The result is not totally clean, but I would say
> we're still ok.
>
> I used the standard installer, but to a directory within
> C:\Users\Épreuve\... as non-ascii paths to the installation directory
> were an issue. And I ran the regression tests with -e.
>
> I get the test failures noted in http://bugs.jython.org/issue2594 and
> http://bugs.jython.org/issue2308, which involve things missing from
> the environment we deliver to users, or they are faults in the tests
> that expect something different.
>
> I get two failures (in test_socket and test_urllib2_localnet) that are
> to do with my ISP's ever more aggressive approach to mis-typed URLs.
> This is a change for the worse. Would you believe that on my machine I
> can actually ping non.existent.server and get a round-trip time of
> 20ms? Thanks guys.
>
> And I get showers of netty errors again. :( But not so as the test fails.
>
> Then I tried pip, which doesn't like non-ascii paths much. pip install
> yolk (failed) and then after pip uninstall yolk,  I tried jython -m
> pip install yolk (failed). Both failed trying to encode a path to
> ascii (to write to file, I think), towards the end of the process,
> when running setup_yolk.py (I think). To my surprise, jython -m pip
> install sphinx ran to completion (a surprise since it brings so many
> subsidiary packages it seemed sure to fail). So I suspect the yolk
> failure, although it occurs down in the support libraries, actually
> stems from the use of default encoding to write FS-encoded data,
> traceable back to yolk itself.
>
> I haven't tried this with Chinese localisation yet, as it takes a bit
> more to set up.
>
> Bottom line: our bit works, but doesn't make up for others'
> shortcomings. We can all feel justly satisfied.
>
> Jeff
>

> On 17/06/2017 17:48, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've put together a soft release of 2.7.1 rc2.
>>
>> Please test! As soon as I get a couple of sanity checks, I'll finalize
>> the RC and do a real announcement.
>>
>> The releases:
>>
>> installer:
>> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1067/org/python/jython-installer/2.7.1-rc3/jython-installer-2.7.1-rc3.jar
>>
>> standalone:
>> https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/orgpython-1068/org/python/jython-standalone/2.7.1-rc3/jython-standalone-2.7.1-rc3.jar
>>
>> The parent directories of each of the above have the checksums, source
>> jars, javadocs, etc.
>>
>> -Frank

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

Jim Baker-2
So far everything is working well for me on OSX and Ubuntu with RC3, as expected. We have also had no new bug reports against RC3. So everything is looking good for a July 1 release.

At this point, I think it's more about us updating our docs. I was on vacation for the last few days, but on the plane back yesterday I started to work on what we might want to do to update from our current site.

The current repo for the jython.org website is at https://hg.python.org/jython-docs/website/, with the build process described by https://hg.python.org/jython-docs/website/file/tip/README.txt Note that the bulk of the repo is a pushed version of the build itself; of that, it's mostly the Python 2.6 docs IIRC.

Most likely what we should do is use travis-ci to build our docs from a new github repo, using content in RST that Sphinx can build, then push onto github pages for jython.github.io; we can have the PSF admins update DNS to point jython.org accordingly. https://github.com/Syntaf/travis-sphinx looks promising in terms of some specific setup aspects. For now, I would just link against the python.org 2.7 docs, vs trying to maintain our own copy (which is not current against either Jython 2.5 or 2.7 regardless).

As for front page content, I would emphasize news less than the current Jython site, and more about how Jython can and should be used. This is similar to what is done for python.org itself. I have content from my Jython talk from PyCon from 2015 that can be repurposed here, as well as the article I co-authored with Josh Juneau for Java Magazine. I'm sure there's other material we can use, drawing from the wiki, the book, and other sources.

Ideally we can complete this all by July 1, by keeping it focused and again reusing what we already have. Most importantly this leaves us in place with a workflow that can help keep the site more up-to-date through standard PRs than what we have now.

Any thoughts?

- Jim

On Thu, Jun 22, 2017 at 12:48 PM, Jeff Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1 on the docs front. Also for moving from news-centric perspective to general setup/usage.
So many requests here and on IRC are due to old doc and old homepage.
Unfortunately I cannot contribute to this effort in near future, certainly not during GSoC period. But thanks for kicking this off!

>> I'm sure there's other material we can use, drawing from the wiki, the book, and other sources.

Sooner or later I'd like to add the examples from this paper: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1607.00825.pdf
Note that the tkinter-from-Java example is more about Jython/Java integration via Py.newJ method family, which makes
access of Python API from Java more convenient. Stuff involving JyNI would be labeled experimental.
Maybe I will also find a JyNI-independent Py.newJ example.

-Stefan

Re: Jython 2.7.1 rc3 soft release

Jeff Allen-2
Improving our documentation and what is prominent on the website is a
good idea. Explaining our work accurately in an obvious place will do a
lot for its usefulness to others and ease contribution.

For example, as I created the simple Eclipse project to answer
https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/78, a user struggling
simply to get started, I thought that it ought to be on the wiki or
somewhere. And we never pitched in with Frank's conversion of the Python
documentation that describes with apparent authority things Jython
doesn't do at all.

+1 for using a Github repo. Also, a separate one for a dev guide. The
CPython dev-guide was the first to migrate, wasn't it? If we have those
two on Github, can we give up the Wiki?

I'd like to help with this, but in the immediate future I'm committed to
other things -- not for an entire summer of code, you understand, but
for the next three weeks at least. So I can only recommend for 1/7 doing
things that are least work, like linking the CPython 2.7 docs with an
appropriate caveat. At least that sends a good message about conformance!

Longer term, I wonder if we can have a kind of filtered re-use, parallel
to the way we treat the standard library? And the same with the dev guide?

As for tools,  I've used the Maven Sphinx plug-in successfully (and it's
nice that it depends on Jython). Also using CPython & Sphinx, I have
published successfully through readthedocs. I tried Github pages with
Sphinx, but it ended up a mess: ISTR one is committing material
generated from one branch into an alternate branch. Maybe it has got
slicker, or maybe I was doing it wrong. Still, it makes me a bit wary
about diving down that route (and requesting "PSF admins update DNS to
point jython.org <http://jython.org> accordingly") rather than just
linking it from an old-school home page where it is now.

ANTLR & StringTemplate just have documentation in the repo that Github
renders directly, but I found Github markdown insufficient when I tried
it for each of the jobs I refer to.

I don't know the Travis plug-in. One needs to be able to generate the
documentation locally, of course. If Travis does so much for us, will we
be able to check work without opening a PR?

Jeff

On Sat, Jun 24, 2017 at 2:33 AM, Jeff Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Improving our documentation and what is prominent on the website is a good idea. Explaining our work accurately in an obvious place will do a lot for its usefulness to others and ease contribution.

For example, as I created the simple Eclipse project to answer https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/78, a user struggling simply to get started, I thought that it ought to be on the wiki or somewhere. And we never pitched in with Frank's conversion of the Python documentation that describes with apparent authority things Jython doesn't do at all.

+1 for using a Github repo. Also, a separate one for a dev guide. The CPython dev-guide was the first to migrate, wasn't it?

Indeed, the Jython dev guide currently can be found here: https://hg.python.org/jython-docs/devguide/ - it should be moved over to GitHub. Given history from CPython before it was forked, and the chance to merge forward some of their updates, it's probably best to keep as a separate repo.

If we have those two on Github, can we give up the Wiki?

+1, no more wiki. We move the content over, and kill. The PR process is just about as light, and it doesn't have the current problems in the wiki.

I'd like to help with this, but in the immediate future I'm committed to other things -- not for an entire summer of code, you understand, but for the next three weeks at least.

It's not a problem! We always have varying availability, especially with this project. But this flexibility is why I personally can find it easy to continue to contribute, as I have time.

So I can only recommend for 1/7 doing things that are least work, like linking the CPython 2.7 docs with an appropriate caveat. At least that sends a good message about conformance!

Any process should be about a simple workflow that's easy to contribute to. We can then make it better.

Longer term, I wonder if we can have a kind of filtered re-use, parallel to the way we treat the standard library? And the same with the dev guide?

Sounds like the right approach. There might be a way to be more systematic here in how we patch, but the stdlib experience is reasonably light and easy to work with.

As for tools,  I've used the Maven Sphinx plug-in successfully (and it's nice that it depends on Jython).

Interesting detail! Might be the right approach in the future, depending on our CI system.

Also using CPython & Sphinx, I have published successfully through readthedocs.

I have had decent experience with RTD as well.

I tried Github pages with Sphinx, but it ended up a mess: ISTR one is committing material generated from one branch into an alternate branch. Maybe it has got slicker, or maybe I was doing it wrong. Still, it makes me a bit wary about diving down that route (and requesting "PSF admins update DNS to point jython.org <http://jython.org> accordingly") rather than just linking it from an old-school home page where it is now.

I see jython.github.io as just one possible way to render static content, that is then built by some other tooling against the doc repo, but the more important thing is just using Sphinx + RST. Everything else in this rendering pipeline we can readily change.

ANTLR & StringTemplate just have documentation in the repo that Github renders directly, but I found Github markdown insufficient when I tried it for each of the jobs I refer to.

This is the most common approach, and works for many projects, but given that RST is the standard for Python docs itself, plus used by the Jython book, we should stick to RST.

In my other work, I generally prefer Markdown otherwise, especially given its superior Github browsing integration. I also like being able to readily embed Latex into Markdown using Pandoc tools, but a separate conversation altogether. Anyway, it's not possible to have everything!

I don't know the Travis plug-in. One needs to be able to generate the documentation locally, of course. If Travis does so much for us, will we be able to check work without opening a PR?

Regardless it should still be possible to build without a PR or the CI itself, just by invoking Sphinx.

Having it on the PR (if possible, RTD doesn't currently support, https://github.com/rtfd/readthedocs.org/issues/1340) will it make possible to view changes without having to do this local checkout, which is nicer workflow IMHO for initial review. So that's the biggest argument for Travis I think at this time. But first, let's see if it's even workable, and if not, we can just use RTD.

- Jim