Jython Development

Meagher, Tim

Hi,

The company I work for has started to integrate jython into our product.

I had raised issue 2524 (http://bugs.jython.org/issue2524) which appears to have now been fixed.

When would a release with this be planned?
And if that is going to take a while, how do we get the source to then build a version with that fix internally?

We will be ramping up our usage of Jython and internal development with Jython so what is the best way to become a contributor?

Is there a recommended way to do this, like creating our own dev branch and contribute commonly useful features back into the main branch or something?

Regards,

Tim Meagher.

Re: Jython Development

Jim Baker-2
Tim,

This is fixed as of Jython 2.7.1. I did update the milestone accordingly for http://bugs.jython.org/issue2524 See the NEWS entry: https://github.com/jythontools/jython/blob/master/NEWS#L39

We still need to change http://www.jython.org/ I have spent a modest amount of time on a revised version, but I personally don't have the permissions to update the old site as it is set up. At the very least, we should mention how to download Jython 2.7.1! Who has permissions here?

But 2.7.1 is on Maven. See the link from http://fwierzbicki.blogspot.com/2017/07/jython-271-final-released.html Good luck!

- Jim

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Meagher, Tim <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

The company I work for has started to integrate jython into our product.

I had raised issue 2524 (http://bugs.jython.org/issue2524) which appears to have now been fixed.

When would a release with this be planned?
And if that is going to take a while, how do we get the source to then build a version with that fix internally?

We will be ramping up our usage of Jython and internal development with Jython so what is the best way to become a contributor?

Is there a recommended way to do this, like creating our own dev branch and contribute commonly useful features back into the main branch or something?

Regards,

Tim Meagher.

Re: Jython Development

Stefan Richthofer
Note that the link from Franks blogpost to maven seems to be broken. I was not able to find Jython 2.7.1 on Maven Central. 2.7.0 is there.

-Stefan

> Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Juli 2017 um 17:34 Uhr
> Von: "Jim Baker" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Meagher, Tim" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Jython-dev] Jython Development
>
> Tim,
>
> This is fixed as of Jython 2.7.1. I did update the milestone accordingly
> for http://bugs.jython.org/issue2524 See the NEWS entry: https://github.com/
> jythontools/jython/blob/master/NEWS#L39
>
> We still need to change http://www.jython.org/ I have spent a modest amount
> of time on a revised version, but I personally don't have the permissions
> to update the old site as it is set up. At the very least, we should
> mention how to download Jython 2.7.1! Who has permissions here?
>
> But 2.7.1 is on Maven. See the link from http://fwierzbicki.
> blogspot.com/2017/07/jython-271-final-released.html Good luck!
>
> - Jim
>

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 3:51 AM, Meagher, Tim <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > The company I work for has started to integrate jython into our product.
> >
> > I had raised issue 2524 (http://bugs.jython.org/issue2524) which appears
> > to have now been fixed.
> >
> > When would a release with this be planned?
> > And if that is going to take a while, how do we get the source to then
> > build a version with that fix internally?
> >

> > We will be ramping up our usage of Jython and internal development with
> > Jython so what is the best way to become a contributor?
> >

> > Is there a recommended way to do this, like creating our own dev branch
> > and contribute commonly useful features back into the main branch or
> > something?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Tim Meagher.

Re: Jython Development

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Richthofer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Note that the link from Franks blogpost to maven seems to be broken. I was not able to find Jython 2.7.1 on Maven Central. 2.7.0 is there.

Really? That's no good. They all work for me, but I know that isn't
necessarily enough. Which link and where does it take you?

Re: Jython Development

John Patrick
Using group org.python, I can find the following when I search;
jython-installer 2.7.1
jython-standalone 2.7.1
jython 2.7.1b3

So I'm guessing something is talking about the artifact
jython-installer or jython-standalone and someone else just pure
jython.

On 12 July 2017 at 00:02, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Richthofer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Note that the link from Franks blogpost to maven seems to be broken. I was not able to find Jython 2.7.1 on Maven Central. 2.7.0 is there.
>>
> Really? That's no good. They all work for me, but I know that isn't
> necessarily enough. Which link and where does it take you?

Re: Jython Development

Stefan Richthofer
Seems to be working okay. Maybe I perceived it as broken because it points to
http://search.maven.org. Could it rather point to http://search.maven.org/#search%7Cga%7C1%7CJython
or directly to
https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.python/jython-standalone/2.7.1
?

 Gesendet: Mittwoch, 12. Juli 2017 um 01:02 Uhr

> Von: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
> An: "Stefan Richthofer" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "Jim Baker" <[hidden email]>, "Jython Developers" <[hidden email]>
> Betreff: Re: [Jython-dev] Jython Development
>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 2:04 PM, Stefan Richthofer
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Note that the link from Franks blogpost to maven seems to be broken. I was not able to find Jython 2.7.1 on Maven Central. 2.7.0 is there.
> >
> Really? That's no good. They all work for me, but I know that isn't
> necessarily enough. Which link and where does it take you?

Re: Jython Development

Jeff Allen-2
I don't know if Frank improved anything on Maven Central or his blog,
but although Maven Central still reports our jars as 0 bytes, I haven't
in practice had any trouble downloading from there.

This also came up in https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/84 and
it seems to have worked for the user in
https://github.com/jythontools/jython/issues/83 .

Jeff