Quantcast

Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

mrule
I haven't been able to figure this out.  I'm running ubuntu. Regular old Java apps can get a nice GTL look-and-feel using javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName()); But, in Jython, I'm reading the system look-and-feel as Java's default "metal" look and feel, which is incongruous and less pretty. How do I get the GTK look and feel in Jython? Its seems like Java can use com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, but when I try to import this LAF in Jython, it says that it can't find 'com.sun'. How do I fix this?

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

mrule
On further digging, it turns out that this is a difference in sun-jdk vs openjdk on linux. I believe it was openjdk that looked "ugly". I attempted to install sun-jdk but it looks like there is some sor of recent unix-linux drama that caused the sun java packages to be removed from the partner repositories. Manual installation of the sun jdk was time consuming and I still haven't been able to get it working -- so I guess I'll stick with the ugly look and feel for now.

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM, mrule [via Python] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I haven't been able to figure this out.  I'm running ubuntu. Regular old Java apps can get a nice GTL look-and-feel using javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName()); But, in Jython, I'm reading the system look-and-feel as Java's default "metal" look and feel, which is incongruous and less pretty. How do I get the GTK look and feel in Jython? Its seems like Java can use com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, but when I try to import this LAF in Jython, it says that it can't find 'com.sun'. How do I fix this?

http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/Jython-Look-and-Feel-in-Ubuntu-tp4628714p4628714.html
To start a new topic under jython-users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jython-users, click here.
NAML

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

mrule
Since sun jdk is allegedly supported on Ubuntu 11.10, I attempted to upgrade, but now cannot get Jython to work. Java works find, I can run jar files and compile and everything, but Jython appears to be confused. I have researched this problem and am unable to find a solution :

$ jython
Jython 2.2.1 on java1.6.0_30
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JavaReadline in java.library.path
at org.gnu.readline.Readline.load(Readline.java:902)
at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)

This is probably an issue with how Java is configured since the upgrade -- it may be idiosyncratic to my configuration. I need to understand this error in order to know how to proceed. Does anyone know what this mean, or have suggestions as to how to fix it?

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM, mrule <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Sent from the jython-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

Chris Clark
I've had similar problems BUT I cheated and simply starting calling the
jar file explicitly with the jvm I needed (it should be possible to
configure the alternatives slink). The openjdk is a real pain and not
worth using IMHO.

E.g. replace with the jre/jdk in use:

     /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.22/bin/java -jar
/some/path/jython,jar

Using update-alternatives should work too.

Chris

On Friday 2012-03-23 09:23 (-0700), M.Rule <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since sun jdk is allegedly supported on Ubuntu 11.10, I attempted to
> upgrade, but now cannot get Jython to work. Java works find, I can run
> jar files and compile and everything, but Jython appears to be
> confused. I have researched this problem and am unable to find a
> solution :
>
> $ jython
> Jython 2.2.1 on java1.6.0_30
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no
> JavaReadline in java.library.path
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1738)
> at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
> at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
> at org.gnu.readline.Readline.load(Readline.java:902)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at
> at
> at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
>

> This is probably an issue with how Java is configured since the
> upgrade -- it may be idiosyncratic to my configuration. I need to
> understand this error in order to know how to proceed. Does anyone
> know what this mean, or have suggestions as to how to fix it?
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM, mrule <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On further digging, it turns out that this is a difference in
>     sun-jdk vs openjdk on linux. I believe it was openjdk that looked
>     "ugly". I attempted to install sun-jdk but it looks like there is
>     some sor of recent unix-linux drama that caused the sun java
>     packages to be removed from the partner repositories. Manual
>     installation of the sun jdk was time consuming and I still haven't
>     been able to get it working -- so I guess I'll stick with the ugly
>     look and feel for now.
>
>     On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM, mrule [via Python] <[hidden
>     email] <http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=4647123&i=0>> wrote:
>
>         I haven't been able to figure this out.  I'm running ubuntu.
>         Regular old Java apps can get a nice GTL look-and-feel using
>         javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
>         But, in Jython, I'm reading the system look-and-feel as Java's
>         default "metal" look and feel, which is incongruous and less
>         pretty. How do I get the GTK look and feel in Jython? Its
>         seems like Java can use
>         com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, but when I try to
>         import this LAF in Jython, it says that it can't find
>         'com.sun'. How do I fix this?

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

Hasan Diwan
Or you can edit the jython file, it's only a shell script after all.

On 23 March 2012 06:56, M.Rule <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since sun jdk is allegedly supported on Ubuntu 11.10, I attempted to
> upgrade, but now cannot get Jython to work. Java works find, I can run jar
> files and compile and everything, but Jython appears to be confused. I have
> researched this problem and am unable to find a solution :
>
> $ jython
>

> Jython 2.2.1 on java1.6.0_30
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JavaReadline
> in java.library.path
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1738)
> at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
> at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
> at org.gnu.readline.Readline.load(Readline.java:902)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at
> at
> at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
>

> This is probably an issue with how Java is configured since the upgrade --
> it may be idiosyncratic to my configuration. I need to understand this error
> in order to know how to proceed. Does anyone know what this mean, or have
> suggestions as to how to fix it?
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM, mrule <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On further digging, it turns out that this is a difference in sun-jdk vs
>> openjdk on linux. I believe it was openjdk that looked "ugly". I attempted
>> to install sun-jdk but it looks like there is some sor of recent unix-linux
>> drama that caused the sun java packages to be removed from the partner
>> repositories. Manual installation of the sun jdk was time consuming and I
>> still haven't been able to get it working -- so I guess I'll stick with the
>> ugly look and feel for now.
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM, mrule [via Python] <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to figure this out.  I'm running ubuntu. Regular old
>>> Java apps can get a nice GTL look-and-feel using
>>> javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
>>> But, in Jython, I'm reading the system look-and-feel as Java's default
>>> "metal" look and feel, which is incongruous and less pretty. How do I get
>>> the GTK look and feel in Jython? Its seems like Java can use
>>> com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, but when I try to import this
>>> LAF in Jython, it says that it can't find 'com.sun'. How do I fix this?

>>> NAML

Sent from my mobile device
Envoyait de mon portable

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

mrule
Interesting. Where does the jython .jar live? I don't really understand the jython shell script -- it looks like theres a lot of configuration of environment variables, but I don't know what its doing or why I'm seeing that "no JavaEditline in java.library.path" error.

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Hasan Diwan [via Python] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Or you can edit the jython file, it's only a shell script after all.

On 23 March 2012 06:56, M.Rule <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Since sun jdk is allegedly supported on Ubuntu 11.10, I attempted to
> upgrade, but now cannot get Jython to work. Java works find, I can run jar
> files and compile and everything, but Jython appears to be confused. I have
> researched this problem and am unable to find a solution :
>
> $ jython
>

> Jython 2.2.1 on java1.6.0_30
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no JavaReadline
> in java.library.path
> at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1738)
> at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
> at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1028)
> at org.gnu.readline.Readline.load(Readline.java:902)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at org.python.util.ReadlineConsole.<init>(Unknown Source)
> at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
> at
> at
> at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:513)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:355)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
>

> This is probably an issue with how Java is configured since the upgrade --
> it may be idiosyncratic to my configuration. I need to understand this error
> in order to know how to proceed. Does anyone know what this mean, or have
> suggestions as to how to fix it?
>

> On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 PM, mrule <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On further digging, it turns out that this is a difference in sun-jdk vs
>> openjdk on linux. I believe it was openjdk that looked "ugly". I attempted
>> to install sun-jdk but it looks like there is some sor of recent unix-linux
>> drama that caused the sun java packages to be removed from the partner
>> repositories. Manual installation of the sun jdk was time consuming and I
>> still haven't been able to get it working -- so I guess I'll stick with the
>> ugly look and feel for now.
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 3:47 PM, mrule [via Python] <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I haven't been able to figure this out.  I'm running ubuntu. Regular old
>>> Java apps can get a nice GTL look-and-feel using
>>> javax.swing.UIManager.setLookAndFeel(javax.swing.UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
>>> But, in Jython, I'm reading the system look-and-feel as Java's default
>>> "metal" look and feel, which is incongruous and less pretty. How do I get
>>> the GTK look and feel in Jython? Its seems like Java can use
>>> com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel, but when I try to import this
>>> LAF in Jython, it says that it can't find 'com.sun'. How do I fix this?

>>> NAML

Sent from my mobile device
Envoyait de mon portable

http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/Jython-Look-and-Feel-in-Ubuntu-tp4628714p4649132.html
To unsubscribe from Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu, click here.
NAML

Re: Jython Look-and-Feel in Ubuntu

mrule
Ok, I uninstalled libreadline-java and then re-installed it, and that seems to have resovled the readline error.

Everthing seems to be running smoothly now on the sun jre. The components render correctly and jython runs without error.