Jython and JVM 1.5?

Frank Cohen
Are there any problems running Jython (2.1 or the alpha) on JVM 1.5? -
Frank

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
I don't think Jython 2.1 works with JVM 1.5.

On 10/6/05, Frank Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Are there any problems running Jython (2.1 or the alpha) on JVM 1.5? -
Frank

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

Jason R Briggs
I'm running it on a 1.5 JVM without problems.  Although I'm pushing
2.2a1 harder than I am 2.1 these days

Frank Wierzbicki wrote:

>> I don't think Jython 2.1 works with JVM 1.5.
>>
>> On 10/6/05, *Frank Cohen* <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>     Are there any problems running Jython (2.1 or the alpha) on JVM
>> 1.5? -
>>     Frank

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

Kent Johnson
I don't think 2.1 runs on 1.5 out of the box. It needs to be recompiled (and maybe a minor patch or two?) to run on 1.5. Someone posted a link to a recompiled jar a while ago but I can't find it right now...

Kent

Frank Cohen wrote:

> Are there any problems running Jython (2.1 or the alpha) on JVM 1.5? -
> Frank

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

Sean McGrath
Kent Johnson wrote:

> I don't think 2.1 runs on 1.5 out of the box. It needs to be
> recompiled (and maybe a minor patch or two?) to run on 1.5. Someone
> posted a link to a recompiled jar a while ago but I can't find it
> right now...

I'm running 2.1 on 1.5 (on Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP) without any
problems so far:

    Jython 2.1 on java1.5.0_03 (JIT: null)

Sean

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

Alan Kennedy-2
[Frank Cohen]
 >> Are there any problems running Jython (2.1 or the alpha) on JVM 1.5?

[Kent Johnson]
> I don't think 2.1 runs on 1.5 out of the box. It needs to be recompiled
> (and maybe a minor patch or two?) to run on 1.5. Someone posted a link
> to a recompiled jar a while ago but I can't find it right now...

IIRC, there were several issues with compiling jython 2.1 in java 1.5,
including a keyword naming clash due to the introduction of the "enum"
keyword in java 1.5.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/Jython-dev/2043387

If someone has a patched jython 2.1 which is ready to run on java 1.5, I
think it would be an excellent idea to make a java1.5-specific download
available. I think the availability of this would go a long way to
answering the "jython is dead" critics.

I depend heavily on jython 2.1 in my production setups, and have been
avoiding upgrading to java 1.5 precisely because of such issues.

While I eagerly await the availability of jython 2.2+ (generators and
coroutines on java: cool B-) it would be nice for the 100% stable and
reliable jython 2.1 to be usable right now on jdk 1.5.

Regards,

Alan.

Re: Jython and JVM 1.5?

oti-3
Hi Alan,

these two messages maybe give you hints / ideas:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/Jython-dev/2047804
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=9706875

Best wishes,
Oti.