Jython participation in GSOC 2017

Jim Baker-2
I would like to propose that once again we participate in the Google Summer of Code program for this upcoming summer.

We have previously participated in the summers of 2007, 2008, 2009, and 2015, and we had a chance to work with students who made significant contributions, including Django, compiler, JyNI, and other functionality.

Stefan Richthofer — who has been responsible for much of the recent activity on Jython development (https://hg.python.org/jython) — is interested in being a student again for this project to continue work on JyNI, specifically to support Windows; and I plan to be his mentor. Such work is most likely to touch on other Windows aspects, thus improving Jython's Windows support in general. We may also have other students/mentors who are interested. This mailing list is a good place to make any such interest known!

The deadline for becoming a GSOC sub-organization for the PSF is Tuesday February 28, so some modest time urgency here!

- Jim

Re: Jython participation in GSOC 2017

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Jim Baker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I would like to propose that once again we participate in the Google Summer
> of Code program for this upcoming summer.
>
> We have previously participated in the summers of 2007, 2008, 2009, and
> 2015, and we had a chance to work with students who made significant
> contributions, including Django, compiler, JyNI, and other functionality.
>
> Stefan Richthofer — who has been responsible for much of the recent activity
> on Jython development (https://hg.python.org/jython) — is interested in
> being a student again for this project to continue work on JyNI,
> specifically to support Windows; and I plan to be his mentor. Such work is
> most likely to touch on other Windows aspects, thus improving Jython's
> Windows support in general. We may also have other students/mentors who are
> interested. This mailing list is a good place to make any such interest
> known!
>
> The deadline for becoming a GSOC sub-organization for the PSF is Tuesday
> February 28, so some modest time urgency here!
That's great! A big +1 from me.

-Frank

Re: Jython participation in GSOC 2017

Darjus Loktevic
+1 indeed.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 8:19 AM [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 8:19 AM, Jim Baker <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I would like to propose that once again we participate in the Google Summer
> of Code program for this upcoming summer.
>
> We have previously participated in the summers of 2007, 2008, 2009, and
> 2015, and we had a chance to work with students who made significant
> contributions, including Django, compiler, JyNI, and other functionality.
>
> Stefan Richthofer — who has been responsible for much of the recent activity
> on Jython development (https://hg.python.org/jython) — is interested in
> being a student again for this project to continue work on JyNI,
> specifically to support Windows; and I plan to be his mentor. Such work is
> most likely to touch on other Windows aspects, thus improving Jython's
> Windows support in general. We may also have other students/mentors who are
> interested. This mailing list is a good place to make any such interest
> known!
>
> The deadline for becoming a GSOC sub-organization for the PSF is Tuesday
> February 28, so some modest time urgency here!
That's great! A big +1 from me.

-Frank

Re: Jython participation in GSOC 2017

Jeff Allen-2
+1 here. Strengthening JyNI will help a lot of real users, while
beneficial Windows "side effects" are clearly welcome too.

Jeff Allen