Quantcast

Jython roadmap

Jeff Allen
Cross-posted from python-dev (list 2nd attempt):
On 21/08/2012 06:34, [hidden email] wrote:

> Zitat von "Juancarlo Añez (Apalala)" <[hidden email]>:
>
>> It seems that Jython is under the Python Foundation, but I can't find
>> a roadmap, a plan, or instructions about how to contribute to it
>> reaching 2.7 and 3.3.
>>
>> Are there any pages that describe the process?
>
> Hi Juanca,
>
> These questions are best asked on the jython-dev mailing list, see

Hi Juancarlo:

I'm cross-posting this for you on jython-dev as Martin is right. Let's
continue there.

Jython does need new helpers and I agree it isn't very easy to get
started. And we could do with a published roadmap.

I began by fixing a few bugs (about a year ago now), as that seemed to
be the suggestion on-line and patches can be offered unilaterally.
(After a bit of nagging) some of these got reviewed and I'd won my spurs.

I found the main difficulty to be understanding the source, or rather
the architecture: there is too little documentation and some of what you
can find is out of date (svn?). A lot of basic stuff is still a complete
mystery to me. As I've discovered things I've put them on the Jython
Wiki ( http://wiki.python.org/jython/JythonDeveloperGuide ) in the hope
of speeding others' entry, including up-to-date description of how to
get the code to build in Eclipse.

One place to look, that may not occur to you immediately, is Frank
Wierzbicki's blog ( http://fwierzbicki.blogspot.co.uk/ ). Frank is the
project manager for Jython, an author of the Jython book, and has worked
like a Trojan (the good kind, not the horse) over the last 6 months.
Although Frank has shared inklings of a roadmap, it must be difficult to
put dates to things that depend on a small pool of volunteers working in
their spare time -- especially perfectionist volunteers who write more
Javadoc than actual code, then delete it all because they've had a
better idea :-). Direction of travel is easier: 2.5.3 is out, we're
trying to get to 2.7b, but with an eye on 3.3. I haven't seen anything
systematic on what's still to do, who's doing it, and where the gaps
are, which is probably what you're looking for. ... Frank?

Jeff Allen

Re: Jython roadmap

fwierzbicki@gmail.com
On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM, Jeff Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Cross-posted from python-dev (list 2nd attempt):
> On 21/08/2012 06:34, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> Zitat von "Juancarlo Añez (Apalala)" <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> It seems that Jython is under the Python Foundation, but I can't find
>>> a roadmap, a plan, or instructions about how to contribute to it
>>> reaching 2.7 and 3.3.
>>>
>>> Are there any pages that describe the process?
>>
>> Hi Juanca,
>>
>> These questions are best asked on the jython-dev mailing list, see
>>
> Hi Juancarlo:
>
> I'm cross-posting this for you on jython-dev as Martin is right. Let's
> continue there.
>
> Jython does need new helpers and I agree it isn't very easy to get
> started. And we could do with a published roadmap.
>
> I began by fixing a few bugs (about a year ago now), as that seemed to
> be the suggestion on-line and patches can be offered unilaterally.
> (After a bit of nagging) some of these got reviewed and I'd won my spurs.
>
> I found the main difficulty to be understanding the source, or rather
> the architecture: there is too little documentation and some of what you
> can find is out of date (svn?). A lot of basic stuff is still a complete
> mystery to me. As I've discovered things I've put them on the Jython
> Wiki ( http://wiki.python.org/jython/JythonDeveloperGuide ) in the hope
> of speeding others' entry, including up-to-date description of how to
> get the code to build in Eclipse.
>
> One place to look, that may not occur to you immediately, is Frank
> Wierzbicki's blog ( http://fwierzbicki.blogspot.co.uk/ ). Frank is the
> project manager for Jython, an author of the Jython book, and has worked
> like a Trojan (the good kind, not the horse) over the last 6 months.
> Although Frank has shared inklings of a roadmap, it must be difficult to
> put dates to things that depend on a small pool of volunteers working in
> their spare time -- especially perfectionist volunteers who write more
> Javadoc than actual code, then delete it all because they've had a
> better idea :-). Direction of travel is easier: 2.5.3 is out, we're
> trying to get to 2.7b, but with an eye on 3.3. I haven't seen anything
> systematic on what's still to do, who's doing it, and where the gaps
> are, which is probably what you're looking for. ... Frank?
Hey Jeff - just got back from a low-connectivity family vacation :)

2.7beta should be out in a few weeks, after that it's harder to say -
but 2.7final and then 3.x will be the next targets.

The site that Jeff pointed to
http://wiki.python.org/jython/JythonDeveloperGuide is currently the
best guide. I want to make a better one based on the Python dev guide
started by Brett Canon. My work in progress on that is here:

http://hg.python.org/jython-docs/devguide/

However it is too incomplete to put up, I'd love help there if someone
wants to take a crack at it. It's about 4 rungs down on my Jython todo
list so it isn't likely to get done soon. On the other hand I know
this should be a bigger priority. Getting started with Jython is too
hard right now... I'll try to take another look list this week.

There isn't a systematic todo - one area to look at is the regression
tests in Lib/test/ -- if you search for "FIXME" you'll find lots of
tests that are being skipped. I plan to add comment out a few more
with this label soon. All of these need investigation and fixing
before 2.7 can be called final. If fixes are found for these and
turned into patches - I'd be fairly quick to review them. Patches like
these should be uploaded to http://bugs.jython.org and should get
labeled with the key words "patch" and "test failure causes".

-Frank