Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

Fernando Cassia
Looking around I was able to gather a few use cases for Jython at major corporations and corporate products, that I wasn´t previously aware of.

The BURP security scanner uses Jython for scripting
http://portswigger.net/burp/help/extender.html

Jython is used internally by the Vert.x 2 app server, for Python support (see last paragraph)
http://vertx.io/vertx2/manual.html

Jython is also used by IBM,
1. in its Websphere App Server, for scripting
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#%21/wiki/Tivoli%20Service%20Request%20Manager/page/Jython%20Scripts
2. in Tivoli SRM
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/ibmpressisbn/9780137009527?Open
3. in Maximo Asset Management Solution
http://www.maximopulse.com/2014/08/14/setting-up-eclipse-for-maximo-automation-scripts-jython-programming/

Last year, Oracle added Jython support for spcripting to its FDMEE (Financial Data Quality Management, Enterprise Edition) -previous versions used VBscript
http://www.odtug.com/p/bl/et/blogid=1&blogaid=357

Oracle also uses Jython in its Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
http://karanbalkar.com/2013/05/tutorial-26-using-jython-in-odi/

Oracle also uses Jython in RDIC (Remote Intradoc Client)
https://blogs.oracle.com/OracleWebCenterSuite/entry/jython_examples_using_ridc

Could these be added to the Jython page, under a "Who uses Jython?" link, featured prominently atop the main page?

I know Jim Baker maintains a small list of Jython usage cases in his Github account at
https://github.com/jimbaker/talks/blob/master/jython-at-rackspace.md

I think it´d be great if at the main page we could implement an horizontally scrolling list of logos of all the firms that use Jython, linking to such wiki list it would greatly help increase its visibility and momentum.

I volunteer to maintain such list.

It's mind blowing that despite all the hard work by Frank, Jim and the rest of the contributors, Jython needs to be continuously countering FUD (Fear, Uncertainly, and Doubt) saying that "it's dead", as for instance in the following Quora question, until I replied with some facts...

http://www.quora.com/Is-Jython-alive

Just an idea.
FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

Carl Trachte
On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 2:31 PM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Looking around I was able to gather a few use cases for Jython at major
> corporations and corporate products, that I wasn´t previously aware of.
>
> The BURP security scanner uses Jython for scripting
> http://portswigger.net/burp/help/extender.html
>
> Jython is used internally by the Vert.x 2 app server, for Python support
> (see last paragraph)
> http://vertx.io/vertx2/manual.html
>
> Jython is also used by IBM,
> 1. in its Websphere App Server, for scripting
> https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#%21/wiki/Tivoli%20Service%20Request%20Manager/page/Jython%20Scripts
> 2. in Tivoli SRM
> http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/Redbooks.nsf/ibmpressisbn/9780137009527?Open
> 3. in Maximo Asset Management Solution
> http://www.maximopulse.com/2014/08/14/setting-up-eclipse-for-maximo-automation-scripts-jython-programming/
>
> Last year, Oracle added Jython support for spcripting to its FDMEE
> (Financial Data Quality Management, Enterprise Edition) -previous versions
> used VBscript
> http://www.odtug.com/p/bl/et/blogid=1&blogaid=357
>
> Oracle also uses Jython in its Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
> http://karanbalkar.com/2013/05/tutorial-26-using-jython-in-odi/
>
> Oracle also uses Jython in RDIC (Remote Intradoc Client)
> https://blogs.oracle.com/OracleWebCenterSuite/entry/jython_examples_using_ridc
>
> Could these be added to the Jython page, under a "Who uses Jython?" link,
> featured prominently atop the main page?
>
> I know Jim Baker maintains a small list of Jython usage cases in his Github
> account at
> https://github.com/jimbaker/talks/blob/master/jython-at-rackspace.md
>
> I think it´d be great if at the main page we could implement an horizontally
> scrolling list of logos of all the firms that use Jython, linking to such
> wiki list it would greatly help increase its visibility and momentum.
>
> I volunteer to maintain such list.
>
> It's mind blowing that despite all the hard work by Frank, Jim and the rest
> of the contributors, Jython needs to be continuously countering FUD (Fear,
> Uncertainly, and Doubt) saying that "it's dead", as for instance in the
> following Quora question, until I replied with some facts...
>
> http://www.quora.com/Is-Jython-alive
>
> Just an idea.
> FC
>
> --
> During times of Universal Deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary
> act
> Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
> Revolucionario
> - George Orwell

When I worked for defense the US Army was using jython as an API for
there COMBAT XXI simulation software (written in Java).  My boss at
the time (he's since moved on to another project management gig)  did
give a talk on it at Pycon in 2010:

http://www.slideshare.net/onesimplehuman/python-in-combat-model

This idea (use cases) is cool.  Thanks for your efforts on it.

Re: Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

Stefan Richthofer
I am also +1 on this idea. Especially on displaying "Who uses Jython?"

> I volunteer to maintain such list.
Also from me: Thanks for your efforts on it!

My only concern is that a list of logos could be perceived as ads.
Usually Python-conference sides display logos of their sponsors. And
actual sponsorship shoud -imho- stay the hurdle to take for getting one's
logo on some Python main-page, shouldn't it? At least for official pages.
Maybe a link to popular Jython use-cases could be presented in some neutral
way, just a (somehow decorated) well visible link "Jython in industry" or
something.

Regards

-Stefan

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 9:24 PM, Stefan Richthofer <[hidden email]> wrote:
My only concern is that a list of logos could be perceived as ads.
Usually Python-conference sides display logos of their sponsors. And
actual sponsorship shoud -imho- stay the hurdle to take for getting one's
logo on some Python main-page, shouldn't it? At least for official pages.
Maybe a link to popular Jython use-cases could be presented in some neutral
way, just a (somehow decorated) well visible link "Jython in industry" or
something.

Hi Stefan,

Now that I think about it, perhaps legally it would be too big of a hurdle to obtain permission to use each and every logo. So, it's much safer to use company names...

Anyway, is there a wiki or web server playground -like staging.jython.org, test.jython.org or something- where I could edit such list and preview it before copying it to the live web site?. I only have experience editing wikipedia articles... But even if I have to dig into HTML that shouldn't be a problem....

FC

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyway, is there a wiki or web server playground -like staging.jython.org, test.jython.org or something- where I could edit such list and preview it before copying it to the live web site?. I only have experience editing wikipedia articles... But even if I have to dig into HTML that shouldn't be a problem....

FC

I realized that I never got any answer to the above, and still there s no such list of Jython of use cases anywhere (AFAIK).

Sadly, I saw someone on Twitter closing a current Jython integration project with someone commenting "no company that I know of is using Jython", or words to that effect. The FUD lives on...

FC
- George Orwell

Re: Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

Jim Baker-2
To address this perennial question, I expect we will be ready with the Jython 2.7.1 release candidate fairly soon. Sorry it has taken so long! There's one more bug we would like to fix, http://bugs.jython.org/issue2446 I'm at the OpenStack Summit in Barcelona this week; and I will be on vacation next week. After that, I should have time to resolve this bug and help put the RC together.

After that: we should look at publishing jython.org using readthedocs.org or maybe github pages support. (Maybe other alternatives?) Improving our docs is probably more important than anything else we can do at this time. In parallel, 2.7.2 and 3.x work can of course continue, and we will figure timelines later.

- Jim

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 5:51 PM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyway, is there a wiki or web server playground -like staging.jython.org, test.jython.org or something- where I could edit such list and preview it before copying it to the live web site?. I only have experience editing wikipedia articles... But even if I have to dig into HTML that shouldn't be a problem....

FC

I realized that I never got any answer to the above, and still there s no such list of Jython of use cases anywhere (AFAIK).

Sadly, I saw someone on Twitter closing a current Jython integration project with someone commenting "no company that I know of is using Jython", or words to that effect. The FUD lives on...

FC
- George Orwell

Jython-Homepage on github? (Was: Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x)

Stefan Richthofer
>>After that: we should look at publishing jython.org[http://jython.org] using readthedocs.org[http://readthedocs.org] or maybe github pages support. (Maybe other alternatives?) Improving our docs is probably more important than anything else we can do at this time.

The Jython-Homepage looks like it is written in sphinx/markup, isn't it? What about hosting its markup-source similar to github.com/jython/book on github? This could encourage the community to help maintaining/updating via PRs. There should be a (maybe automated) flow of nightly builds to the website, so accepted PRs would show up rapidly.
(In case of githubpages or readthedocs I'd suggest the same for whatever the page-source would consist of.)

-Stefan

P.S. Changing the subject given that already Jim's answer was not actually about use-cases. Maybe we could have a statement regarding the original question too?

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 27. Oktober 2016 um 13:51 Uhr
Von: "Jim Baker" <[hidden email]>
An: "Fernando Cassia" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Betreff: Re: [Jython-users] Jython use cases inside Rackspace, IBM, Oracle, Vert.x

To address this perennial question, I expect we will be ready with the Jython 2.7.1 release candidate fairly soon. Sorry it has taken so long! There's one more bug we would like to fix, http://bugs.jython.org/issue2446[http://bugs.jython.org/issue2446] I'm at the OpenStack Summit in Barcelona this week; and I will be on vacation next week. After that, I should have time to resolve this bug and help put the RC together.

After that: we should look at publishing jython.org[http://jython.org] using readthedocs.org[http://readthedocs.org] or maybe github pages support. (Maybe other alternatives?) Improving our docs is probably more important than anything else we can do at this time. In parallel, 2.7.2 and 3.x work can of course continue, and we will figure timelines later.

- Jim

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 7:40 AM, Fernando Cassia <[hidden email][mailto:[hidden email]]> wrote:

Anyway, is there a wiki or web server playground -like staging.jython.org[http://staging.jython.org], test.jython.org[http://test.jython.org] or something- where I could edit such list and preview it before copying it to the live web site?. I only have experience editing wikipedia articles... But even if I have to dig into HTML that shouldn't be a problem....