[Jython-users] jython.org hosting

dehora
[x-posted to dev and user]

Hi,

Some of you will have noticed that the wiki on jython.org is no longer
functional. This appears to be out of our control to rectify. Given that
(along with other issues that make running the site off sforge tedious)
I've been asking around about alternative hosting arrangements.

The PSF have offered to host jython.org on the same infrastructure that
python.org runs on. There's no domain transfer involved (jython.*
domains are held by the PSF and Barry Warsaw is the named admin). I or
my employer Propylon would also be happy to host jython.org, however the
PSF does have the advantage of being an organisation formed directly
around and working on behalf of the Python community. The python.org
setup also runs (docs|svn|planet).python.org and has an option for mail.
In any case I think we need to move off sforge for website purposes.

If you have opinions on this please weigh in; I'd rather not just act
unilaterally. Bear in mind we have a busted wiki that needs to be fixed
up as soon as, and a website that needs some updating!

cheers
Bill

RE: [Jython-users] jython.org hosting

cupdike
I don't have any problem with moving.  The one thing I'd like
to see fixed along the way is to have jython.org work as
an url like www.jython.org does.  I believe that is related
to our domain registration though so it won't necessarily get
fixed just by moving.

-Clark

[Jython-users] Re: jython.org hosting

Greg Knaddison
FWIW - sounds great and thanks for doing investigation and offering
Propylon/your support.

I don't have a strong preference, though python.org sounds best to me.

Regards,
Greg

Re: [Jython-users] Re: jython.org hosting

oti-3
Hi,

for me the most important thing is to have a working swiki / site again. Therefore absolutely no objections. Move on - and - thanks !
Oti.

Re: [Jython-users] Re: jython.org hosting

BillCCHKK
On 9/14/05, Oti <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  for me the most important thing is to have a working swiki / site again.
> Therefore absolutely no objections. Move on - and - thanks !
>  Oti.

Agreed.  I'm a *very* new user of Jython, and I would like to get
access to the Wiki, as well as updated documentation.  The faster it
can get set up, the happier I would be.

- Bill

--
Bill Woodward     [hidden email]      http://www.saifa.net

"I have more trouble with D. L. Moody than with any other man I ever
met." -- D. L. Moody
        s/D. L. Moody/Bill Woodward/g

Re: [Jython-users] jython.org hosting

Ray Djajadinata
Thanks! It's great to hear this news--as a user, as
long as the wiki is functional again and the website
gets updated, I'm a happy man. However if you're
expecting people to vote, mine will be for PSF, since
you mentioned the advantages.

--- Bill de hÓra <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If you have opinions on this please weigh in; I'd
> rather not just act
> unilaterally. Bear in mind we have a busted wiki
> that needs to be fixed
> up as soon as, and a website that needs some
> updating!
>
> cheers
> Bill

> Tame your development challenges with Apache's
> Geronimo App Server. Download
> it for free - -and be entered to win a 42" plasma tv
> or your very own
> Sony(tm)PSP.  Click here to play:
> http://sourceforge.net/geronimo.php

Re: jython.org hosting

dehora
It seems there is agreement for the PSF. Ok; I'm going to pull down a
tar of the content as is this weekend. Monday I'll talk to A.M. Kuchling
about getting a setup on their servers. Once I migrate the content and
have a stage view I'll test until it's ready; I don't know how long that
will take. When it's ready I'll announce here and ask Barry/PSF to flip
the DNS. That sounds like it'll run into the week after next.

cheers
Bill