Kivy with Jython

John Anderson

    I have a Python app that uses Kivy. I would like to do some debugging on this app using Netbeans. I can run the app in Netbeans using a Python platform, but cannot use the debugger. If I select the Jython platform, the debugger is available, but when I try to run the app it complains about no Kivy module. I cannot find any information about installing Kivy in Jython. Is it possible to install Kivy under Jython? If so, can anyone give me a hint on how to install it?

    Thanks,

        -John

Re: Kivy with Jython

Tom Dossis
Doesn’t look like it work with jython.
It failed to install it into a jython 2.7.1b3 virtualenv:

(.virtualenv) MacbookPro: td$ pip install Cython
Collecting Python
Successfully built Cython
Installing collected packages: Cython
Successfully installed Cython-0.25.2

(.virtualenv) MacbookPro; td$ pip install kivy
Collecting kivy
    Detected compiler is jython
    cythoning /private/var/folders/3q/hq68tjms01q_rl2y7ky56mkh0000gp/T/pip-build-BdDxz9/kivy/kivy/graphics/svg.pyx to /private/var/folders/3q/hq68tjms01q_rl2y7ky56mkh0000gp/T/pip-build-BdDxz9/kivy/kivy/graphics/svg.c
    building 'kivy.graphics.svg' extension
    error: Compiling extensions is not supported on Jython

On 2 Jun 2017, at 3:25 AM, John Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

    I have a Python app that uses Kivy. I would like to do some debugging on this app using Netbeans. I can run the app in Netbeans using a Python platform, but cannot use the debugger. If I select the Jython platform, the debugger is available, but when I try to run the app it complains about no Kivy module. I cannot find any information about installing Kivy in Jython. Is it possible to install Kivy under Jython? If so, can anyone give me a hint on how to install it?

    Thanks,

        -John

Re: Kivy with Jython

Stefan Richthofer
You can try if it is maybe workable with JyNI.
However, even with JyNI it is currently not possible to cythonize pyx files with Jython. You can use cpython for cythonizing and then add the location of the resulting so-files to sys.path.

That said, I'm not sure how useful a Kivy/Jython combination would be. AFAIK main strength of kivy is availability on mobile platforms. Unfortunately, running Jython on Android is not yet feasible.

-Stefan