Learning SIP Questions: Tutorial & setup.py

Learning SIP Questions: Tutorial & setup.py

Eric Gorr-2
I am trying to run through the simple C example at http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/sip4/using.html#id7 and in the sample configure.py, there is:

  import sipconfig

however, after doing, 'pip install sip', this import is invalid.

I assume the documentation has not been updated. What should configure.py look like?

Does anyone have a simple python package example with a setup.py which would show what a setup.py should look like so I can do:

  pip install -e .

and have it build my library and place it in the correct directory so it can be used by another python module? For an example of what I am talking about, see https://github.com/EricG-Personal/cffi_test which did to learn more about cffi. I can do write something similar for SIP, but I cannot find any documentation on this for SIP.

A couple of other things I noticed is that at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SIP, the link for 'here' in  "The documentation for the latest release can be found here." is broken.

In https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/roadmap, it mentions that v5 will be release in 2016, but it is now 2018 and it looks like the version is still v4.

Re: Learning SIP Questions: Tutorial & setup.py

Phil Thompson-5
On 16 Apr 2018, at 2:49 pm, Eric Gorr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to run through the simple C example at http://pyqt.sourceforge.net/Docs/sip4/using.html#id7 and in the sample configure.py, there is:
>
>   import sipconfig
>
> however, after doing, 'pip install sip', this import is invalid.
>
> I assume the documentation has not been updated. What should configure.py look like?

The PyPI package only includes the run-time module. It does not include the build system or the code generator.

> Does anyone have a simple python package example with a setup.py which would show what a setup.py should look like so I can do:
>
>   pip install -e .
>
> and have it build my library and place it in the correct directory so it can be used by another python module? For an example of what I am talking about, see https://github.com/EricG-Personal/cffi_test which did to learn more about cffi. I can do write something similar for SIP, but I cannot find any documentation on this for SIP.
>
> A couple of other things I noticed is that at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/SIP, the link for 'here' in  "The documentation for the latest release can be found here." is broken.

Fixed.

> In https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/roadmap, it mentions that v5 will be release in 2016, but it is now 2018 and it looks like the version is still v4.

Fixed.