Linux, TrueType fonts, antialias

George Geller
I Tkinter on Linux supposed to use antialiasing when rendering TrueType
fonts at larger sizes?  I'm using Gnome with Ubuntu.

Thanks
--
George Geller <[hidden email]>

Re: Linux, TrueType fonts, antialias

Bugzilla from jepler@unpythonic.net
short answer: no.  Tk uses "core" X font rendering, which is not antialiased.

longer answer: the CVS version of Tk, which will become tk8.5, has support for
antialiased fonts on X.  However, the CVS versions of Tcl and Tk were a bit too
experimental for general use the last time I looked at them. (in fact, a new
multiple-precision math library had just been added to tcl, and I couldn't even
get it to build---that was sometime this past summer)

Jeff

Re: Linux, TrueType fonts, antialias

Joachim Thöne
it's possible to use True Fonts in Tkinter by placing a PIL image on  a
Tkinter  canvas.  Another option is using Frederik Lundh's WCK Toolkit,
which works very well for me.

Joachim