London Python Roles

12

London Python Roles

Rich Catley

Dear all

I’m looking for two permanent Python/Django developers to join a high profile incubated startup in London. You will have strong development skills and be happy to work with a very dedicated technical team. You will need to be London based. Salary is negotiable depending on experience but this is a great opportunity to work at the leading edge of social media. I’m more than happy to send you the full details once contact has been made. We have interview slots available so please get in touch.

Kind regards

Richard

Richard Catley
Fuel Recruitment
17, Waterloo Place
Warwick Street
Leamington Spa

Warwickshire

CV32 5LA

Tel: 08712 007 007
Fax: 08712 007 008

Please click on the following link if you would like to comment on the service you have received: Fuel Survey

This electronic message contains information from Fuel Recruitment Ltd. which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the addressee of this email, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please e-mail the author by replying to this message and delete the material from your computer. While reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, you are responsible for carrying out your own virus checks and Fuel Recruitment Ltd. does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage thereby arising.

Fuel Recruitment is a company registered in England & Wales with Company Number 04677878 & VAT Registration 812 1032 93

Re: London Python Roles

Tim Fernando
Hello there,

I'm quite interested in the role, is there any management involved?
Could you send me more information?

Best wishes,

Tim

On 9 December 2010 14:38, Richard Catley <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael Grazebrook-2
I too feel it's inappropriate. A request direct from a client/employer would I think be OK, especially if the client were a python enthusiast. But this forum is inappropriate for agencies.

On 13/12/2010 16:31, Alec Battles wrote:
[...]

No virus found in this message.

Re: London Python Roles

Floris Bruynooghe-3
On 13 December 2010 16:31, Alec Battles <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?

Nope, I do too.

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Richard Catley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all
>>

>> I’m looking for two permanent Python/Django developers to join a high profile incubated startup in London. You will have strong development skills and be happy to work with a very dedicated technical team. You will need to be London based. Salary is negotiable depending on experience but this is a great opportunity to work at the leading edge of social media. I’m more than happy to send you the full details once contact has been made. We have interview slots available so please get in touch.
>>

>> Kind regards
>>
>> Richard
>>

>> Richard Catley
>> Fuel Recruitment
>> 17, Waterloo Place
>> Warwick Street
>> Leamington Spa
>>
>> Warwickshire
>>
>> CV32 5LA
>>

>> Tel: 08712 007 007
>> Fax: 08712 007 008
>> Web: www.fuelrecruitment.co.uk
>>

>> www.linkedin.com/in/richardcatley
>>
>> Please click on the following link if you would like to comment on the service you have received: Fuel Survey
>>
>> This electronic message contains information from Fuel Recruitment Ltd. which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the addressee of this email, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please e-mail the author by replying to this message and delete the material from your computer. While reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, you are responsible for carrying out your own virus checks and Fuel Recruitment Ltd. does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage thereby arising.
>>
>> Fuel Recruitment is a company registered in England & Wales with Company Number 04677878 & VAT Registration 812 1032 93

Debian GNU/Linux -- The Power of Freedom

Re: London Python Roles

John Pinner-3

On 13 December 2010 16:31, Alec Battles <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?

No ;-)

On some other lists to which I subscribe, agencies are regarded as the lowest of the low and are banned.

John

[...]

Tim Golden-4
On 13/12/2010 7:27 PM, John Pinner wrote:
> On 13 December 2010 16:31, Alec Battles<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?
>>

> No ;-)
>
> On some other lists to which I subscribe, agencies are regarded as the
> lowest of the low and are banned.

I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
them.

Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
which doesn't spill over...?

TJG

Re: London Python Roles

Jakub Gustak
> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?

+1

This is not job board. If one decides to post a job offer here better
make it more precise.

That's my 5p
_
jlg

Re: London Python Roles

Sebastian Komianos-2
So, if one hears about a Python job role it won't be considered nice of him to let the rest on this list know?

Just asking, no irony intended.

---
Sebastian Komianos
http://about.me/sebkom
http://twitter.com/sebkom

On 13 Dec 2010, at 19:36, Jakub Gustak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?
>
> +1
>
> This is not job board. If one decides to post a job offer here better
> make it more precise.
>
> That's my 5p
> _
> jlg

Re: London Python Roles

Will McGugan-2
I don't mind jobs being posted here. Although recruiters could get annoying, because they tend not to give a way details regarding how Python is used. There could also be a dozen posts for the same job if it gets out of hand.

Will

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 7:46 PM, Sebastian Komianos <[hidden email]> wrote:
So, if one hears about a Python job role it won't be considered nice of him to let the rest on this list know?

Just asking, no irony intended.

--
Will McGugan
http://www.willmcgugan.com

Re: London Python Roles

Nicholas H.Tollervey

On 13 Dec 2010, at 16:31, Alec Battles wrote:

> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?

Obviously not, but I can't see how this is spam.

As Tim pointed out, this is a technically and geographically focussed list and this post is relevant both in terms of technology and location. Furthermore I've seen other job postings on this list go by without any comment about them being inappropriate or spammy.

Besides, where else should anyone post jobs for Pythonistas in the UK..? Here would seem to be an obvious place (among several options) and it's not as if we're inundated with these types of request.

Also, while I've had to deal with more than my fair share of $#!7 job agencies (see this recent tweet: http://twitter.com/#!/ntoll/status/13239003654397953 - and lets be honest here, they don't do themselves any favours in that department) I've also dealt with some really great ones (honest!). If you've come to the conclusion that this is spam simply because it is from an agency then I'm afraid you're simply being prejudiced.

Nicholas.

> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Richard Catley <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear all
>

> I’m looking for two permanent Python/Django developers to join a high profile incubated startup in London. You will have strong development skills and be happy to work with a very dedicated technical team. You will need to be London based. Salary is negotiable depending on experience but this is a great opportunity to work at the leading edge of social media. I’m more than happy to send you the full details once contact has been made. We have interview slots available so please get in touch.
>

> Kind regards
>
> Richard
>

> Richard Catley
> Fuel Recruitment
> 17, Waterloo Place
> Warwick Street
> Leamington Spa
> Warwickshire
> CV32 5LA
>
> Tel: 08712 007 007
> Fax: 08712 007 008
> Web: www.fuelrecruitment.co.uk
>

> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
>
> <Mail Attachment.gif> <Mail Attachment.jpeg>   <Mail Attachment.jpeg>
>
> <Mail Attachment.gif>
>
> www.linkedin.com/in/richardcatley
>
> Please click on the following link if you would like to comment on the service you have received: Fuel Survey
>
> This electronic message contains information from Fuel Recruitment Ltd. which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the addressee of this email, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please e-mail the author by replying to this message and delete the material from your computer. While reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, you are responsible for carrying out your own virus checks and Fuel Recruitment Ltd. does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage thereby arising.
> Fuel Recruitment is a company registered in England & Wales with Company Number 04677878 & VAT Registration 812 1032 93

Re: London Python Roles

Ben Corke | Creue
As a recruiter (and a budding Python developer) who has found a few
users of the UK Python List gainful employment, it would be a shame to
lose the ability to post well qualified Python Jobs to users here.

The response to this makes me inclined to not post jobs here for fear
of a roasting.

I seem to remember talk of setting up a UK Python website and Job
board a few months back. This is a great idea. Has anything moved?

I am happy to devote some time helping with the dev and management  of
a Python job board. I have designed and implemented a couple of
successful small job boards in the past, so sure I can add value.

Recruiters aren't all bad you know.

If a job board is created, I'd be a great idea to see
recruiters/employers being given feedback via a star rating system so
the good agents get the respect they deserve and not so great agents
are at least on their best behavior.

Feel free to get in touch if you want to discuss.

Ben Corke
Linkedin.com/in/bencorke
[hidden email]

On 13 Dec 2010, at 19:39, Jakub Gustak <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?
>
> +1
>
> This is not job board. If one decides to post a job offer here better
> make it more precise.
>
> That's my 5p
> _
> jlg

Re: London Python Roles

John Pinner-3
HI,

On 13 December 2010 19:36, Tim Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/12/2010 7:27 PM, John Pinner wrote:
>>
>> On 13 December 2010 16:31, Alec Battles<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>
>>> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?
>>>

>> No ;-)
>>
>> On some other lists to which I subscribe, agencies are regarded as the
>> lowest of the low and are banned.
>
> I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
> even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
> like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
> focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
> there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
> them.
>
> Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
> which doesn't spill over...?

You're probably missing the employer's view, from which perspective
they provide a very low level of service, often bordering on the
incompetent, and at a very high price.

I don't think it's anything to do with Linux culture, except that they
all seem incapable of recognising that the requirements of a Linux
shop differ from an MS shop, and persist in proposing people with MSCE
and Access 'database' experience...

And there are Python and Linux job boards...

John

Re: London Python Roles

Jakub Gustak
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:08 PM, Will McGugan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't mind jobs being posted here. Although recruiters could get annoying,
> because they tend not to give a way details regarding how Python is used.
> There could also be a dozen posts for the same job if it gets out of hand.
> Will

This was my point more or less.

Re: London Python Roles

Nicholas H.Tollervey

On 13 Dec 2010, at 20:27, John Pinner wrote:

> HI,
>
> On 13 December 2010 19:36, Tim Golden <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> No ;-)
>>>
>>> On some other lists to which I subscribe, agencies are regarded as the
>>> lowest of the low and are banned.
>>
>> I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
>> even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
>> like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
>> focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
>> there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
>> them.
>>
>> Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
>> which doesn't spill over...?
>
> You're probably missing the employer's view, from which perspective
> they provide a very low level of service, often bordering on the
> incompetent, and at a very high price.
>
> I don't think it's anything to do with Linux culture, except that they
> all seem incapable of recognising that the requirements of a Linux
> shop differ from an MS shop, and persist in proposing people with MSCE
> and Access 'database' experience...
>
> And there are Python and Linux job boards...

John,

There's nothing wrong with having both a Microsoft MSC* qualification or Access 'database' experience. I have both. :-P

Perhaps you should change the agency you use..?

:-)

Nicholas.

> John

Re: London Python Roles

Richard Barran-3
On 13 Dec 2010, at 19:36, Tim Golden wrote:
I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
them.

Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
which doesn't spill over...?

+1
The Python community is still very small; I was surprised at the last Europython to discover that most of the people present did not earn a wage from Python. Anything that helps more pythonistas earn a living from their passion is good IMO.
While I can understand strong opposition on the main Python list (which is about the language itself), python-uk is a low-volume list for discussions about the Python *community* in this country... and jobs are a part of that.
Obviously, once tens of thousands of UK devs earn their living from Python, then I will join the "NO" camp :-)

Re: London Python Roles

Katie T
On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Ben Corke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am happy to devote some time helping with the dev and management  of
> a Python job board. I have designed and implemented a couple of
> successful small job boards in the past, so sure I can add value.

There already is a python job board:

http://www.python.org/community/jobs/

(International but it covers the UK)

Given there seems to be a split in opinions why not create a
python-uk-jobs mailing list that way people who want to subscribe to
Python jobs can do so, without it bothering everyone else.

Katie
--
CoderStack
http://www.coderstack.co.uk

Re: London Python Roles

René Dudfield

Not really.  Posting jobs is in the description of the list - so it's not unsolicited.

"This list is to help UK Python users to form a community, arrange events, advertise help or jobs wanted or sought and generally chat."

Recruiters have been posting since 2001, and only a maximum of a few times a year/month.

cu.

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Alec Battles <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Richard Catley <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all

I’m looking for two permanent Python/Django developers to join a high profile incubated startup in London. You will have strong development skills and be happy to work with a very dedicated technical team. You will need to be London based. Salary is negotiable depending on experience but this is a great opportunity to work at the leading edge of social media. I’m more than happy to send you the full details once contact has been made. We have interview slots available so please get in touch.

Kind regards

Richard

Richard Catley
Fuel Recruitment
17, Waterloo Place
Warwick Street
Leamington Spa

Warwickshire

CV32 5LA

Tel: 08712 007 007
Fax: 08712 007 008

Please click on the following link if you would like to comment on the service you have received: Fuel Survey

This electronic message contains information from Fuel Recruitment Ltd. which may be privileged and confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the addressee of this email, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error please e-mail the author by replying to this message and delete the material from your computer. While reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure no viruses are present in this e-mail, you are responsible for carrying out your own virus checks and Fuel Recruitment Ltd. does not accept any responsibility for loss or damage thereby arising.

Fuel Recruitment is a company registered in England & Wales with Company Number 04677878 & VAT Registration 812 1032 93

Re: London Python Roles

Ben Corke | Creue
> There already is a python job board:
>
> http://www.python.org/community/jobs/
>
> (International but it covers the UK)
>
> Given there seems to be a split in opinions why not create a
> python-uk-jobs mailing list that way people who want to subscribe to
> Python jobs can do so, without it bothering everyone else.
>

> Katie

Indeed, I've found a number of great Python Developers from the
python.org /jobs site, it's great. However, wasn't the point to create
a revenue stream that will benefit the Python UK community?

Anyway, not sure there are enough UK jobs out there to justify a UK
board currently, but I'm seeing Python as part of a skillset becoming
more and more popular over the last few years, especially in the
embedded sector.

Ben

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Ben Corke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am happy to devote some time helping with the dev and management  of
>> a Python job board. I have designed and implemented a couple of
>> successful small job boards in the past, so sure I can add value.
>
> There already is a python job board:
>
> http://www.python.org/community/jobs/
>
> (International but it covers the UK)
>
> Given there seems to be a split in opinions why not create a
> python-uk-jobs mailing list that way people who want to subscribe to
> Python jobs can do so, without it bothering everyone else.
>

> Katie
> --
> CoderStack
> http://www.coderstack.co.uk
> The Software Developer Job Board

Re: London Python Roles

Douglas Livingstone
Richard,

That's quite a reaction you have received on the python-uk mailing list.

I'm interested in Python opportunities in London, could you give me more details about the positions you are advertising?

Regards,
Douglas