Major mode name change?

Gerard Brunick-3
Would it possibly be a good idea to change the name of the python
editing mode in python-mode so that it does not conflict with the FSF
python editing mode name?  In particular, it seems that "py-python-mode"
or "py-mode" might be good alternative names that are consistent with
the "py-" naming scheme that is used for just about everything else in
python-mode.el

As I see it, such a change would have the following advantages:

1. Both versions of the python editing mode could peacefully coexist.
2. Many people prefer python-mode.el, but sage-mode is built on top of
python.el, so the Sage folks are left out in the cold.  (Or more
accurately, must make an irreversible decision to use either python-mode
or python.el for each emacs session.)
3. It would be more clear to folks what major mode there buffer was in
which might cut down on the confusing.
4. If you have elisp which needs the "python-mode" function name, it is
easy to create an alias to the new name, so that things don't break.

I suspect that there are people who have put a great deal of work into
python-mode.el and might be frustrated that GNU Emacs people choose to
conflict with their work.  In particular, these people might be hesitant
to concede the "good name."  It is not my goal to antagonize you if you
are such a person; however, it seems that this would make things much
more convenient for people who work with GNU Emacs.

-Gerard

Re: Major mode name change?

Barry Warsaw