Making idle choose different python versions

Making idle choose different python versions

ranjan das

Hi, I would request help in the following problem.

Problem:

I have installed Python 2.6.5 and then I installed Coopr
(https://software.sandia.gov/trac/coopr/wiki/GettingStarted/Installing)
for optimization related purpose. Now coopr when installed has
a python.exe file of its own in Python26\coopr\bin directory which it uses to
access the modules in coopr. Coopr modules "cannot" be accessed using the
python.exe present in \Python26 directory.

Now my question is how do I make idle choose the python present
 in the directory Python26/coopr/bin. Idle by default chooses the python in the
/Python26 directory.

Things I tried:

1. I tried changing the "start in" directory of idle
(by right clicking and going to properties). It did not help

2. Added PYTHONPATH in environment variables (of the system)
and set  PYTHONPATH = C:\Python26\coopr\bin. This also
does not work.

Any help/pointers is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ranjan

Re: Making idle choose different python versions

Beni Cherniavsky-Paskin

Basically, idle uses the python executable that idle itself was running with.  So try running
  /Python26/cooper/bin/python -m idlelib.idle
or
  /Python26/cooper/bin/python /Python26/Lib/idlelib/idle.pyw

Also, you might want to install coour without isolation from the test of your python installation - according to the site,
  easy_install coopr
should do it.

--
sent from a glowing rectangle