Quantcast

Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF

Ed Schofield-3
Hi everyone,

At our last event I said that York Butter Factory had approached us offering to host some future meetups. They were also looking into the option of sponsoring drinks for us. So we will soon have the good fortune of having two great venue options available!

It turns out that YBF is not ready to offer a standing monthly sponsorship, but they have offered to host a one-off event in the future, and sponsor drinks / pizza for that event. Our existing pizza sponsorship from ekit will run out after the July meeting, so a good option for trying out YBF would be our August meetup (Monday 6th August). I'll keep you posted on whether they can confirm for that date.

Meanwhile, our friends at Inspire9 are still generously hosting our meetings until August (and probably after August too). That includes next month's meeting: Monday 6 May! :) Slots are still open for talks; if you'd like to volunteer, please add yourself to the wiki schedule here: 


Richard will be giving a talk on the "Zen of Python", a refresher of his talk at last year's PyConAU.

Cheers,
    Ed


-- 
Dr. Edward Schofield
Python Charmers
+61 (0)405 676 229
http://pythoncharmers.com


_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF

Javier Candeira
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ed Schofield <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Meanwhile, our friends at Inspire9 are still generously hosting our meetings
> until August (and probably after August too). That includes next month's
> meeting: Monday 6 May! :) Slots are still open for talks; if you'd like to

Thanks, Ed, for the reminder, and thanks, Inspire9, for being so
awesome! (they are)

> http://wiki.python.org/moin/MelbournePUG
>
> Richard will be giving a talk on the "Zen of Python", a refresher of his
> talk at last year's PyConAU.

I've been accessing Google Docs spreadsheets using a fantastic little
library called gspread (http://github.com/burnash/gspread). It would
make for a good 5 minute presentation. Or not, if people think that
the schedule is already full.

Cheers,

Javier
_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF

Rory Hart-3
In reply to this post by Ed Schofield-3
On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Ed Schofield <[hidden email]> wrote:
That includes next month's meeting: Monday 6 May! :) 

Monday 7th of May I assume?
 
--
Rory Hart
http://www.roryhart.net

_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF

Bruce Wang
In reply to this post by Javier Candeira


On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Javier Candeira <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been accessing Google Docs spreadsheets using a fantastic little
library called gspread (http://github.com/burnash/gspread). It would
make for a good 5 minute presentation. Or not, if people think that
the schedule is already full.


Wow, gspread looks cool, thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Bruce



_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues

Ed Schofield-3
In reply to this post by Ed Schofield-3
Hi everyone,

Anthony has drawn our attention to this article about York Butter Factory:

On the basis of this, I would definitely like for us to remain with Inspire9 as our venue for future Python meetups. Women should absolutely feel respected and valued in our community. The culture of Inspire9 definitely fosters this. Unless anyone objects, I will contact YBF and decline their offer to host our meetings there.

Best wishes,
    Ed


-- 
Dr. Edward Schofield
Python Charmers
+61 (0)405 676 229
http://pythoncharmers.com

Forwarded message:

From: Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
To: Ed Schofield <[hidden email]>, Richard Jones <[hidden email]>, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 26 April 2012 8:50:24 AM
Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF



_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues

John Thornton-2

Worth mentioning as well that it's not just women who are driven away from the IT sector because of this culture. It's this sort of macho bro nonsense that puts me off IT, engineering and other fields. I'm sticking to graphics design  with IT as an add on.

It is beyond exaggeration how much damage such a tweet does to the entire IT/engineering industry.

Andrew




On 26/04/2012 9:16 AM, Ed Schofield wrote:
Hi everyone,

Anthony has drawn our attention to this article about York Butter Factory:

On the basis of this, I would definitely like for us to remain with Inspire9 as our venue for future Python meetups. Women should absolutely feel respected and valued in our community. The culture of Inspire9 definitely fosters this. Unless anyone objects, I will contact YBF and decline their offer to host our meetings there.

Best wishes,
    Ed


-- 
Dr. Edward Schofield
Python Charmers
+61 (0)405 676 229
http://pythoncharmers.com

Forwarded message:

From: Anthony Briggs [hidden email]
To: Ed Schofield [hidden email], Richard Jones [hidden email], Tennessee Leeuwenburg [hidden email]
Date: Thursday, 26 April 2012 8:50:24 AM
Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF




_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug


_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues

Javier Candeira
I was at the session co-hosted by YBF (though it was at Hub Melbourne)
just after that tweet. The organisers apologised and excluded the
culprit from the session.

I like staying at Inspire9, but I think punishing YBF for one idiot's
actions is overkill, especially when the idiot in question was quickly
disavowed and reprimanded. Spontaneous bad behaviour happens at the
individual level all the time, we have to punish or reward
institutions on the basis of their responses to that bad behaviour. In
my opinion, YBF responded adequately, so no punishment is due.

Having said that, I vote for staying at Inspire9 because they are my
friends and I like them.

My two cents,

Javier

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Andrew Thornton <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Worth mentioning as well that it's not just women who are driven away from
> the IT sector because of this culture. It's this sort of macho bro nonsense
> that puts me off IT, engineering and other fields. I'm sticking to graphics
> design  with IT as an add on.
>
> It is beyond exaggeration how much damage such a tweet does to the entire
> IT/engineering industry.
>
> Andrew
>
>
>
>
> On 26/04/2012 9:16 AM, Ed Schofield wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> Anthony has drawn our attention to this article about York Butter Factory:
>
> http://www.startupsmart.com.au/technology/york-butter-factory-slammed-over-sexist-tweet/201204186030.html
>
>
> On the basis of this, I would definitely like for us to remain with Inspire9
> as our venue for future Python meetups. Women should absolutely feel
> respected and valued in our community. The culture of Inspire9 definitely
> fosters this. Unless anyone objects, I will contact YBF and decline their
> offer to host our meetings there.
>
> Best wishes,
>     Ed
>
>
> --
> Dr. Edward Schofield
> Python Charmers
> +61 (0)405 676 229
> http://pythoncharmers.com
>
> Forwarded message:
>
> From: Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
> To: Ed Schofield <[hidden email]>, Richard Jones
> <[hidden email]>, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <[hidden email]>
> Date: Thursday, 26 April 2012 8:50:24 AM
> Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF
>
> So are we still going to YBF, given their "unfortunate" tweet?
>
> http://www.startupsmart.com.au/technology/york-butter-factory-slammed-over-sexist-tweet/201204186030.html
>
> Ant
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> melbourne-pug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> melbourne-pug mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
>
_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Meetup venues

Ed Schofield-3
In reply to this post by Ed Schofield-3
Hi everyone,

I have talked to Stuart at York Butter Factory; as Javier says, they are taking full responsibility for this event. It does seem that YBF is genuinely trying to foster a supportive culture and (apart from this one tweet) doing a very good job of this. My last email was rash; I apologise to YBF if I appeared to undermine them; this wasn't my intention.

I would like to add that I am a member of YBF; I work there occasionally and I find it an inspiring environment to work in, with many great people, and I would recommend it to both men and women interested in a tech-focussed coworking space.

By way of counterbalance, at our next meeting I will talk about my (positive) experiences there. We could have an open discussion of whether it would be appropriate to host a one-off meeting there later in the year to introduce people to the space first-hand.

Best wishes,
    Ed


-- 
Dr. Edward Schofield
Python Charmers
+61 (0)405 676 229
http://pythoncharmers.com

On Thursday, 26 April 2012 at 9:16 AM, Ed Schofield wrote:

Hi everyone,

Anthony has drawn our attention to this article about York Butter Factory:

On the basis of this, I would definitely like for us to remain with Inspire9 as our venue for future Python meetups. Women should absolutely feel respected and valued in our community. The culture of Inspire9 definitely fosters this. Unless anyone objects, I will contact YBF and decline their offer to host our meetings there.

Best wishes,
    Ed


-- 
Dr. Edward Schofield
Python Charmers
+61 (0)405 676 229
http://pythoncharmers.com

Forwarded message:

From: Anthony Briggs <[hidden email]>
To: Ed Schofield <[hidden email]>, Richard Jones <[hidden email]>, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, 26 April 2012 8:50:24 AM
Subject: Re: [melbourne-pug] Meetup venues: May @ Inspire9; August @ YBF




_______________________________________________
melbourne-pug mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/melbourne-pug
Loading...