More practice exercises

Gregor Lingl-2
A very interesting collection of exercises you can find on

http://projecteuler.net/

Especially the problems below 100 are well suited for beginners.

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems

This week's problem, on the contrary, seems to be customized for Kirby!

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems&id=342

Best regards,
Gregor

Re: More practice exercises

kirby urner-4

I've been looking these over since reading your post.  I'd heard of this project but this was my first time to really check it out.

Euler's name has been coming up for sure, these days more in a "city with bridges" context, in that I'm interested in optimizing food flows, using bicycles to intercept what need not join the waste stream.

Bike trailers bring small portions enabling just-in-time inventory management techniques, low overhead, micro-storage only.

Python is in the wings on this one, as the server companies that know how to market interesting ideas tend to have knowledgeable geeks on board.  Lots of IT people get involved in our work.

Thanks for these links.  Python should be fast enough to get within the one minute time frame one would think, at least on some of them.

Kirby

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 10:54 AM, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been looking these over since reading your post.  I'd heard of this project but this was my first time to really check it out.

Euler's name has been coming up for sure, these days more in a "city with bridges" context, in that I'm interested in optimizing food flows, using bicycles to intercept what need not join the waste stream.

Bike trailers bring small portions enabling just-in-time inventory management techniques, low overhead, micro-storage only.

( links back through blogs to one of the VPython projects at my site:

HP4E:

).

Kirby

Re: More practice exercises

Gregor Lingl-2
Am 11.06.2011 19:54, schrieb kirby urner:

I've been looking these over since reading your post.  I'd heard of this project but this was my first time to really check it out.

Thanks for these links.  Python should be fast enough to get within the one minute time frame one would think, at least on some of them.
It is definitely! I got a solution to problem 341, that needed less the 15 seconds.
I've no solution to 342 yet. As "your" Euler totient is the central point of the problem, I thought this is your thing - and you can't help to solve it   ;-)

Best wishes
Gregor

Kirby

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 9:26 AM, Gregor Lingl <[hidden email]> wrote:
A very interesting collection of exercises you can find on

http://projecteuler.net/

Especially the problems below 100 are well suited for beginners.

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems

This week's problem, on the contrary, seems to be customized for Kirby!

http://projecteuler.net/index.php?section=problems&id=342

Best regards,
Gregor
_______________________________________________ Edu-sig mailing list [hidden email] http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/edu-sig

Re: More practice exercises

kirby urner-4

There's a totient function based on knowing the prime factors of n.

The one I use in beginning Python is just

len([num for num in range(1,n) if gcd(num, n)==1 ]  # count strangers to n

... where gcd is Guido's four liner.

I'm sure the latter is way too slow and brutish for Euler Project esoterica.

I confess to a knee-jerk reaction against a 3rd and 2nd power being described as cube and square respectively, as much good sense as this customarily makes in Earthling Math.

I've been groomed to have odd biases.

Kirby