Quantcast

Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

12

Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Stephan Diehl-4
Sorry about the confusion.

wsgi.org was owned by me for the last couple of years. Recently, we've
moved ownership over to DZUG e.V. (German Zope User Group) which is the
only legal offical python related entity in Germany at the moment.
Obviously, I should have announced that here on this list, but didn't.
The hosting was moved to GoCept which is a company owned by Christian
Theune, who's also very active in the Python community.

I guess that moving the content over to github is an excelent idea.

Cheers, Stephan

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
Who then is the specific person who could switch the DNS for
www.wsgi.org to direct towards ReadTheDocs when we are ready,
Christian? This presumes of course people are happy about this being
done.

I have been a bit busy myself, but masklinn has been doing a great job
at moving the pages into Sphinx format.

We are hitting up to a dozen spam messages a day on the existing wiki
at the moment. :-(

Graham

On 19 August 2011 17:51, Stephan Diehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry about the confusion.
>
> wsgi.org was owned by me for the last couple of years. Recently, we've
> moved ownership over to DZUG e.V. (German Zope User Group) which is the
> only legal offical python related entity in Germany at the moment.
> Obviously, I should have announced that here on this list, but didn't.
> The hosting was moved to GoCept which is a company owned by Christian
> Theune, who's also very active in the Python community.
>
> I guess that moving the content over to github is an excelent idea.
>
> Cheers, Stephan

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Stephan Diehl-4
Hi Graham, Christian,

the amount of SPAM is really getting insane. Earlier this year is was
just a couple of pages once in a while. How far are we in getting things
ready at the ReadTheDocs end? I'd say, the earlier we can switch the DNS
entry, the better.

Cheers, Stephan

Am 29.08.2011 07:15, schrieb Christian Theune:

> On 08/29/2011 04:04 AM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> Who then is the specific person who could switch the DNS for
>> www.wsgi.org to direct towards ReadTheDocs when we are ready,
>> Christian? This presumes of course people are happy about this being
>> done.
>>
>> I have been a bit busy myself, but masklinn has been doing a great job
>> at moving the pages into Sphinx format.
>>
>> We are hitting up to a dozen spam messages a day on the existing wiki
>> at the moment. :-(
>
> As soon as you'd like anything to change, just send me the information
> and I'll update that thing. Simplest would be to inform
> [hidden email] (Stephan should authorize this then) so that either
> me or a colleage can pick this up.
>
> Happy to help,
> Christian

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Masklinn
On 2011-09-10, at 11:45 , Stephan Diehl wrote:

> How far are we in getting things ready at the ReadTheDocs end? I'd say, the earlier we can switch the DNS entry, the better.
Everything was ported (as of August 28 anyway)[0], except for the specifications: from what I can tell, Sphinx does not support PEP-RST[1] (it does not understand the PEP header directives, so they are not displayed in the output), I did not get any answer when I asked about it on the pocoo IRC channel and google searches have failed to yield any information.

Way forward I'd see would be adding a target to Sphinx's makefile to use Docutils directly to compile the PEPs, and linking to them as if they were static HTML documents, but I do not know if RTD supports that. You'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable (Graham has already ported the mod_wsgi docs so he might know). From RTD's documentation, it seems accounts can be whitelisted for code execution[2], Graham probably wouldn't have any issue getting flagged for a pair of bilding commands (and barring that, the compiled PEPs could always be committed to the repo).

In the long run, having a pep sphinx extension might be nice.

[0] https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/wsgiorg
[1] https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/wsgiorg/issues/11
[2] http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
I'll see if I can find someone at the DjangoCon sprints who might be
able to give suggestions of what to do. The sprints are at the offices
of Eric from ReadTheDocs, so one would think I might be able to get an
answer.

On 10 September 2011 06:36, Masklinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011-09-10, at 11:45 , Stephan Diehl wrote:
>>
>> How far are we in getting things ready at the ReadTheDocs end? I'd say, the earlier we can switch the DNS entry, the better.
> Everything was ported (as of August 28 anyway)[0], except for the specifications: from what I can tell, Sphinx does not support PEP-RST[1] (it does not understand the PEP header directives, so they are not displayed in the output), I did not get any answer when I asked about it on the pocoo IRC channel and google searches have failed to yield any information.
>
> Way forward I'd see would be adding a target to Sphinx's makefile to use Docutils directly to compile the PEPs, and linking to them as if they were static HTML documents, but I do not know if RTD supports that. You'd have to ask someone more knowledgeable (Graham has already ported the mod_wsgi docs so he might know). From RTD's documentation, it seems accounts can be whitelisted for code execution[2], Graham probably wouldn't have any issue getting flagged for a pair of bilding commands (and barring that, the compiled PEPs could always be committed to the repo).
>
> In the long run, having a pep sphinx extension might be nice.
>
> [0] https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/wsgiorg
> [1] https://github.com/GrahamDumpleton/wsgiorg/issues/11
> [2] http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/faq.html

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Stephan Diehl-4
I'm still not sure about the intended workflow:
1. wsgi.org content repository is on github which is developer friendly.
    But, who decides about write access? In pratice, this might not be
    a problem though, because it's only a handfull people anyway, who
    are actively contributing.
2. The actual pages (sphinx?) should then be hosted by ReadTheDocs?

Where does the wsgi.org domain come into play? Does ReadTheDocs provide
virtual (apache) hosts? We can't just point wsgi.org to ReadTheDocs.org,
right? Or should we just have a static page on wsgi.org that contains a
link to ReadTheDocs?

Stephan

On 2011-09-10, at 21:18 , Stephan Diehl wrote:
> I'm still not sure about the intended workflow:
> 1. wsgi.org content repository is on github which is developer friendly.
>   But, who decides about write access? In pratice, this might not be
>   a problem though, because it's only a handfull people anyway, who
>   are actively contributing.
Currently, only Graham has write access (the repository is in his github account), contributors have to fork the repository and create pull requests (this can be done entirely from github's web interface for small fixes, for bigger contributions it requires creating an actual fork and doing work "offline" to push later). I do not know if he expects (or can) give write access to others.

> 2. The actual pages (sphinx?) should then be hosted by ReadTheDocs?
There's the option of hosting it on a separate server as well (compile the docs and point an apache/nginx to the _build directory), but RTD has all the architecture in place (including stuff like webhooks to ensure it's got the latest version of the project/docs). So that's pretty convenient.

> Where does the wsgi.org domain come into play? Does ReadTheDocs provide virtual (apache) hosts?
RTD provides subdomains and you can just point your DNS CNAME to it

That's exactly it actually: http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/alternate_domains.html

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Stephan Diehl-4
Am 10.09.2011 21:29, schrieb Masklinn:
[...]
>> We can't just point wsgi.org to ReadTheDocs.org, right?
> That's exactly it actually: http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/alternate_domains.html

Ahh, excelent. Didn't see that.
I guess we should change the CNAME as soon as possible.

Cheers, Stephan

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
We haven't actually done a push up to ReadTheDocs yet.

Sorry, just been too busy with work and trip to US. I expect things to
calm down once get home this week.

FWIW, have no issues with adding other people to have direct commit
rights to wsgiorg project so I am not a bottleneck.

Graham

On 10 September 2011 12:49, Stephan Diehl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 10.09.2011 21:29, schrieb Masklinn:
> [...]
>>>
>>> We can't just point wsgi.org to ReadTheDocs.org, right?
>>
>> That's exactly it actually:
>> http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/alternate_domains.html
>>

> Ahh, excelent. Didn't see that.
> I guess we should change the CNAME as soon as possible.
>
> Cheers, Stephan

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
Just change:

:Title: Waiting for File Descriptor Events
:Author: Christopher Stawarz <[hidden email]>
:Discussions-To: Python Web-SIG <[hidden email]>
:Created: 11-May-2008

to:

Waiting for File Descriptor Events
========================

:Author: Christopher Stawarz <[hidden email]>
:Discussions-To: Python Web-SIG <[hidden email]>
:Created: 11-May-2008

and it should be fine,

The table of information is only special if at the very start of the
document. So, move title out of the table and put it first as normal
title with underlining of some description so know it is title.

Graham

On 2011-09-11, at 00:30 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> Just change:
>
> :Title: Waiting for File Descriptor Events
> :Author: Christopher Stawarz <[hidden email]>
> :Discussions-To: Python Web-SIG <[hidden email]>
> :Created: 11-May-2008
>
> to:
>
> Waiting for File Descriptor Events
> ========================
>
> :Author: Christopher Stawarz <[hidden email]>
> :Discussions-To: Python Web-SIG <[hidden email]>
> :Created: 11-May-2008
>
> and it should be fine,
>
> The table of information is only special if at the very start of the
> document. So, move title out of the table and put it first as normal
> title with underlining of some description so know it is title.
Interesting that this should be special-cased so, but it seems to
work very well indeed with those modifications. With that, I'll try
to have the specifications subtree converted by day's end, there
should be no hangup left on .

On 2011-09-10, at 22:18 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> We haven't actually done a push up to ReadTheDocs yet.
>
> Sorry, just been too busy with work and trip to US. I expect things to
> calm down once get home this week.
Apart from your chronic lack of time, is there anything left blocking
the push on RTD I can help with?

On 16 September 2011 19:46, Masklinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2011-09-10, at 22:18 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>> We haven't actually done a push up to ReadTheDocs yet.
>>
>> Sorry, just been too busy with work and trip to US. I expect things to
>> calm down once get home this week.
> Apart from your chronic lack of time, is there anything left blocking
> the push on RTD I can help with?

http://wsgiorg.rtfd.org/

Someone needs to work on the template to replace generic Sphinx type
header/footers with more appropriate branding. Having it say version
X.Y of documentation, trying to attribute copyright to specific person
etc don't make sense.

Graham

On 2011-09-16, at 12:20 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On 16 September 2011 19:46, Masklinn <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 2011-09-10, at 22:18 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:
>>> We haven't actually done a push up to ReadTheDocs yet.
>>>
>>> Sorry, just been too busy with work and trip to US. I expect things to
>>> calm down once get home this week.
>> Apart from your chronic lack of time, is there anything left blocking
>> the push on RTD I can help with?
>
> http://wsgiorg.rtfd.org/

Cool. So Christian just needs to update the DNS records now?

> Someone needs to work on the template to replace generic Sphinx type
> header/footers with more appropriate branding. Having it say version
> X.Y of documentation, trying to attribute copyright to specific person
> etc don't make sense.
I'll see if I can find how to do that this week-end.

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Randy Syring-2
> http://wsgiorg.rtfd.org/

Thanks guys for putting in the time to convert the site over.

--------------------------------------
Randy Syring
Intelicom
Direct: 502-276-0459
Office: 502-212-9913

For the wages of sin is death, but the
free gift of God is eternal life in
Christ Jesus our Lord (Rom 6:23)

On 17 September 2011 03:05, Masklinn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011-09-16, at 12:20 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:

>>> Apart from your chronic lack of time, is there anything left blocking
>>> the push on RTD I can help with?
>>
>> http://wsgiorg.rtfd.org/
>>
> Cool. So Christian just needs to update the DNS records now?

Don't see any reason why not. Is looking clean and slick now.

I have added you as collaborator to wsgiorg project out of guthub. I
presume that means you can push changes back in somehow without
waiting on me now. Never had to do that. If anyone else wants to step
up to be maintainer on site can add them as well.

I'll also try and setup the hooks so updates automatically get applied
to ReadTheDocs.

Graham

On 2011-09-19, at 11:21 , Christian Theune wrote:

> On 09/16/2011 11:10 PM, Graham Dumpleton wrote:

>>> Cool. So Christian just needs to update the DNS records now?
>>
>> Don't see any reason why not. Is looking clean and slick now.
>
> OK. So what exact change do you need?
I'd expect the process to be http://read-the-docs.readthedocs.org/en/latest/alternate_domains.html

So just point the wsgi.org CNAME to the rtfd url. So wsgi.readthedocs.org.

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
Thanks.

One thing we should do now is create a page with instructions on how
you can contribute changes back via github project.

Graham

On 19 September 2011 23:30, Christian Theune <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 09/19/2011 11:33 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
>>
>> OK, I updated our database. The nameservers should start propagating
>> this in an hour or so.
>
> After some messing around with CNAMES and such I added a redirect from
> wsgi.org -> www.wsgi.org and a CNAME of www.wsgi.org to readthedocs.
>
> I also added a placeholder page while the DNS updates are in progress
> including a link to the direct readthedocs.org address.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Christian
>

> --
> Christian Theune · [hidden email]
> gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstraße 29 · 06112 halle (saale) · germany
> http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 1229889 0 · fax +49 345 1229889 1
> Zope and Plone consulting, development, hosting, operations

Re: Move www.wsgi.org to Read The Docs

Graham Dumpleton-2
Christian. The DNS entry is actually wrong. Got this from Eric:

  GrahamDumpleton: wanted to let you know they changed the DNS for wsgi.org,
  but they pointed it at wsgi.readthedocs.org, so I made this project
in its place
  so the CNAME would resolve: http://readthedocs.org/projects/wsgi

  that isn't yours: http://readthedocs.org/projects/wsgiorg/

  I can either renmae the slug on yours, or you can get them to change the DNS

Don't change the DNS though as I reckon it may be better that we claim:

  wsgi.readthedocs.org

Will stop someone else claiming generic WSGI for some project.

Eric, yes, please change the slug.

Thanks.

Graham

On 2011-09-19, at 22:42 , Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> One thing we should do now is create a page with instructions on how
> you can contribute changes back via github project.
>
> Graham
Maybe add a pair of sections on the index (apart from the current toctree) to explain what the document/site is about above the TOC, and where to find the code and what/how to contribute below the TOC?
12