Quantcast

Moving forward on 2.7.1

Jeff Hardy-4
Hi all,
I think it's about time to get 2.7.1 shipped. I don't have a timeline
in mind, but I'd like it out by the end of June. There's a few new
modules and some bug fixes as well, but I'd like to see some more bugs
fixed. If there's anything in 2.7.0 that's blocking you and not
already fixed, post it here and I'll adjust the priorities. I'm also
going to update the stdlib to match CPython 2.7.1.

After 2.7.1 I doubt I will be putting much effort into the 2.7 branch
(3.0 is just more interesting), so if there's continued interest in
future 2.7 releases, someone else will probably have to step up.

- Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Dino Viehland
I have a few bugs I wanted to get fixed so I'll actually start working on those :)

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Dave Wald
On 5/31/2011 4:27 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:
Hi all,
I think it's about time to get 2.7.1 shipped. I don't have a timeline
in mind, but I'd like it out by the end of June. There's a few new
modules and some bug fixes as well, but I'd like to see some more bugs
fixed. If there's anything in 2.7.0 that's blocking you and not
already fixed, post it here and I'll adjust the priorities. I'm also
going to update the stdlib to match CPython 2.7.1.

After 2.7.1 I doubt I will be putting much effort into the 2.7 branch
(3.0 is just more interesting), so if there's continued interest in
future 2.7 releases, someone else will probably have to step up.

- Jeff

Jeff,
ctypes seems to be having some issues...
It would be great if you could check on this one and squeeze it in if possible :
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30698
30698 ctypes WINFUNCTYPE prototype fails with 'TypeError: WinFunctionType() takes at most 2 arguments (3 given)'

Dino,
I know you already have this one assigned to yourself, (thanks again)
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/workitem/30379  Chaining LINQ calls fails
Looking forward to seeing that one done for sure.

Thanks much,
Dave

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Zachary Gramana
I hesitate to say anything as I am someone who just started lurking in
the periphery, but on the off chance that others might agree, I'm
throwing in my $0.02 USD:

There are some big Python applications (e.g. Mercurial) that are going
to remain on 2.7 for some time. There are important modules that are
still missing (bz2), or are incomplete (_winreg), that create
compatibility barriers.  It would also be nice to have sockets moved to
the socket.py/_socket.cs model (similar to how ssl has been implemented)
to support apps that monkey patch that module.

I know the community is limited in resources, but I would hope that 2.7
not be abandoned too quickly. I would happily volunteer to own the
maintenance of 2.7, but I am far too early in the learning curve to be
of any practical use.  That said, I'm happy to help on items where I am
familiar with that part of the codebase, or where an experienced
contributor can give me some mentoring. For example, I'm interested in
helping to implement the bz2 module using ic#code's #zip lib
(http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/), but would
definitely need some mentoring along the way.

On 5/31/2011 5:27 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:

> Hi all,
> I think it's about time to get 2.7.1 shipped. I don't have a timeline
> in mind, but I'd like it out by the end of June. There's a few new
> modules and some bug fixes as well, but I'd like to see some more bugs
> fixed. If there's anything in 2.7.0 that's blocking you and not
> already fixed, post it here and I'll adjust the priorities. I'm also
> going to update the stdlib to match CPython 2.7.1.
>
> After 2.7.1 I doubt I will be putting much effort into the 2.7 branch
> (3.0 is just more interesting), so if there's continued interest in
> future 2.7 releases, someone else will probably have to step up.
>
> - Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Jeff Hardy-4
On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Zachary Gramana
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> There are some big Python applications (e.g. Mercurial) that are going to
> remain on 2.7 for some time. There are important modules that are still
> missing (bz2), or are incomplete (_winreg), that create compatibility
> barriers.  It would also be nice to have sockets moved to the
> socket.py/_socket.cs model (similar to how ssl has been implemented) to
> support apps that monkey patch that module.

100% agreed. I don't want to see 2.7 whither, for exactly the reasons
you mention, and there is still a lot of low hanging fruit that could
make it much better. The thing is, my own interests are drifting to
Python 3, because I think it will allow IronPython to be as close to
perfectly compatible as possible. Plus, it will give me a chance to
really get into the guts of IronPython, which I'm going to document
more fully as I go.

> I know the community is limited in resources, but I would hope that 2.7 not
> be abandoned too quickly. I would happily volunteer to own the maintenance
> of 2.7, but I am far too early in the learning curve to be of any practical
> use.  That said, I'm happy to help on items where I am familiar with that
> part of the codebase, or where an experienced contributor can give me some
> mentoring. For example, I'm interested in helping to implement the bz2
> module using ic#code's #zip lib
> (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/), but would definitely
> need some mentoring along the way.

I will do (almost) whatever I need to to get more people involved in
this project. Unimplemented or incomplete modules are a great place to
start (that's how I started). Any assistance (no matter how small) is
appreciated.

- Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Zachary Gramana
That's great to hear.

On the getting involved note, one thing I would love is a code review
over ichat/skype/mikogo/cell/etc. I have a patch I intend to submit
shortly, and would love someone who knows what they are doing to review
it with me synchronously, if nothing else so I can validate some of my
assumptions.

On 6/10/2011 12:21 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Zachary Gramana
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> There are some big Python applications (e.g. Mercurial) that are going to
>> remain on 2.7 for some time. There are important modules that are still
>> missing (bz2), or are incomplete (_winreg), that create compatibility
>> barriers.  It would also be nice to have sockets moved to the
>> socket.py/_socket.cs model (similar to how ssl has been implemented) to
>> support apps that monkey patch that module.
>
> 100% agreed. I don't want to see 2.7 whither, for exactly the reasons
> you mention, and there is still a lot of low hanging fruit that could
> make it much better. The thing is, my own interests are drifting to
> Python 3, because I think it will allow IronPython to be as close to
> perfectly compatible as possible. Plus, it will give me a chance to
> really get into the guts of IronPython, which I'm going to document
> more fully as I go.
>

>> I know the community is limited in resources, but I would hope that 2.7 not
>> be abandoned too quickly. I would happily volunteer to own the maintenance
>> of 2.7, but I am far too early in the learning curve to be of any practical
>> use.  That said, I'm happy to help on items where I am familiar with that
>> part of the codebase, or where an experienced contributor can give me some
>> mentoring. For example, I'm interested in helping to implement the bz2
>> module using ic#code's #zip lib
>> (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/), but would definitely
>> need some mentoring along the way.
>
> I will do (almost) whatever I need to to get more people involved in
> this project. Unimplemented or incomplete modules are a great place to
> start (that's how I started). Any assistance (no matter how small) is
> appreciated.
>
> - Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Jeff Hardy-4
Skype would work, and if anyone knows of a way to do screen sharing as
well, please chime in.

Shoot me a mail off list and we'll sort it out.

- Jeff

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Zachary Gramana
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's great to hear.
>
> On the getting involved note, one thing I would love is a code review over
> ichat/skype/mikogo/cell/etc. I have a patch I intend to submit shortly, and
> would love someone who knows what they are doing to review it with me
> synchronously, if nothing else so I can validate some of my assumptions.
>

> On 6/10/2011 12:21 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:02 AM, Zachary Gramana
>> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>>>
>>> There are some big Python applications (e.g. Mercurial) that are going to
>>> remain on 2.7 for some time. There are important modules that are still
>>> missing (bz2), or are incomplete (_winreg), that create compatibility
>>> barriers.  It would also be nice to have sockets moved to the
>>> socket.py/_socket.cs model (similar to how ssl has been implemented) to
>>> support apps that monkey patch that module.
>>
>> 100% agreed. I don't want to see 2.7 whither, for exactly the reasons
>> you mention, and there is still a lot of low hanging fruit that could
>> make it much better. The thing is, my own interests are drifting to
>> Python 3, because I think it will allow IronPython to be as close to
>> perfectly compatible as possible. Plus, it will give me a chance to
>> really get into the guts of IronPython, which I'm going to document
>> more fully as I go.
>>

>>> I know the community is limited in resources, but I would hope that 2.7
>>> not
>>> be abandoned too quickly. I would happily volunteer to own the
>>> maintenance
>>> of 2.7, but I am far too early in the learning curve to be of any
>>> practical
>>> use.  That said, I'm happy to help on items where I am familiar with that
>>> part of the codebase, or where an experienced contributor can give me
>>> some
>>> mentoring. For example, I'm interested in helping to implement the bz2
>>> module using ic#code's #zip lib
>>> (http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SharpZipLib/), but would
>>> definitely
>>> need some mentoring along the way.
>>
>> I will do (almost) whatever I need to to get more people involved in
>> this project. Unimplemented or incomplete modules are a great place to
>> start (that's how I started). Any assistance (no matter how small) is
>> appreciated.
>>
>> - Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Zachary Gramana
Apparently skype now supports it:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en-us/features/allfeatures/screen-sharing

I have also had good (cross-platform) luck with the currently-free
mikogo service: http://www.mikogo.com/

On 6/10/2011 1:56 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:

> Skype would work, and if anyone knows of a way to do screen sharing as
> well, please chime in.
>
> Shoot me a mail off list and we'll sort it out.
>
> - Jeff
>
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Zachary Gramana
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> That's great to hear.
>>
>> On the getting involved note, one thing I would love is a code review over
>> ichat/skype/mikogo/cell/etc. I have a patch I intend to submit shortly, and
>> would love someone who knows what they are doing to review it with me
>> synchronously, if nothing else so I can validate some of my assumptions.
>>

>> On 6/10/2011 12:21 PM, Jeff Hardy wrote:

>>> 100% agreed. I don't want to see 2.7 whither, for exactly the reasons
>>> you mention, and there is still a lot of low hanging fruit that could
>>> make it much better. The thing is, my own interests are drifting to
>>> Python 3, because I think it will allow IronPython to be as close to
>>> perfectly compatible as possible. Plus, it will give me a chance to
>>> really get into the guts of IronPython, which I'm going to document
>>> more fully as I go.

>>> I will do (almost) whatever I need to to get more people involved in
>>> this project. Unimplemented or incomplete modules are a great place to
>>> start (that's how I started). Any assistance (no matter how small) is
>>> appreciated.
>>>
>>> - Jeff

Re: Moving forward on 2.7.1

Jeff Hardy-4
Oh, cool. I've only ever used skype for video chats, so I've never
looked at what else it does. I'd never heard of Mikogo, but I'll keep
it in the back of my head because it looks interesting.

- Jeff