New APL

Mokurai
An old friend, ex-IBM, ex-Wall Street, is working on a new Open Source
APL which he and I intend to get into the Sugar education software for
OLPC. I can't tell you any more than that until he puts code out for
the public to test.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: New APL

kirby urner-4
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:
An old friend, ex-IBM, ex-Wall Street, is working on a new Open Source
APL which he and I intend to get into the Sugar education software for
OLPC. I can't tell you any more than that until he puts code out for
the public to test.

That's good news Ed.  APL was the first computer language I fell in love with.  FORTRAN was "grin and bear it" in contrast.

Mike D. at Duke's Landing (a site for experimental events on my circuit) does much of his production work with an XO.  I met up with him yesterday at our Laughing Horse Books & Videos collective.[1][2]

Next I will post you something on the Global Warming thread on the Wikieducator list.

Kirby

[1] From my journal:  http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/12/portland-notes.html
[2] http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/11/think-tank-techniques.html

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math

Re: New APL

kirby urner-4
On Sun, Dec 6, 2009 at 4:04 PM, kirby urner <[hidden email]> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> Next I will post you something on the Global Warming thread on the Wikieducator list.
>
> Kirby
>
> [1] From my journal:  http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/12/portland-notes.html
> [2] http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/11/think-tank-techniques.html

On second thought, I think I'll not stir the Wikieducator pot today.

My next post had to do with Freeman Dyson's visit to Portland.
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/12/freeman-dyson-in-portland.html

He's quite conservative, like NASA, about saying we know precious
little how sunspot cycles impact global climate, wasn't jumping into
that "Maunder Minimum" debate except to say we still aren't that sure
how the sun works (relationship to Earth another set of issues).

He also wondered if global warming means the Sahara might return to
lushness, as per 6K years ago, but he wasn't pretending to know the
answer.

http://www.livescience.com/history/060720_sahara_rains.html

edu-sig has been blissfully *not* about this topic.  I only bring it
up because of our crossing paths earlier (here in cyberia on that WE
list) and because of the "Dutch engineer" meme, which relates to the
Python work I'm doing, at least tangentially.

Note how even the math-teachers are likewise obsessed (losing focus):
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2017705&tstart=0

whereas they *should* be talking about what *I* want to talk about (grin):
http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2009/12/how-radical.html

Kirby

>> --
>> Edward Mokurai (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) Cherlin
>> Silent Thunder is my name, and Children are my nation.
>> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, the Truth my destination.
>> http://www.earthtreasury.org/

> http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math

--
>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math

Re: New APL

Daniel Ajoy-2
On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:52:37 -0500, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> From: Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail dot com
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: [Edu-sig] New APL
>
> An old friend, ex-IBM, ex-Wall Street, is working on a new Open Source
> APL which he and I intend to get into the Sugar education software for
> OLPC. I can't tell you any more than that until he puts code out for
> the public to test.

Exciting, I hope it ends up with good integration with the sugar environment:

* ability to use the journal
* ability to share through the mesh
* ability to copy and paste code and results easily
* if the APL is able to generate graphics, ability to manipulate those graphics with other XO tools, Paint...

Daniel

PS. I wish someone did the same for UCBLogo...