New subscriber

Gil Dawson-2
I'm new here.

Could you please tell me which list I should use to ask a dumb question about Python for the Mac?

I was hoping to search the archives for my question, but I haven't figured out how to do that from the page at

so, if this is the right list, I'd appreciate a pointer on how to search the archives.

My dumb question is: What should I do next to use Python 3.2.2?

I downloaded and installed Python 3.2, Quit Terminal, launched "/Applications/Python3.2/Update Shell Profile.command", Quit Terminal again, relaunched Terminal, and typed "python".  It responded...

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jun 24 2010, 21:47:49)

I was expecting 3.2.2 instead of 2.6.1.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

--Gil

Re: New subscriber

Dan Ross-3
Hey Gil-

Try typing "python3" instead of just "python".

Dan

On Dec 17, 2011, at 3:01 PM, Gil Dawson wrote:

I'm new here.

Could you please tell me which list I should use to ask a dumb question about Python for the Mac?

I was hoping to search the archives for my question, but I haven't figured out how to do that from the page at

so, if this is the right list, I'd appreciate a pointer on how to search the archives.

My dumb question is: What should I do next to use Python 3.2.2?

I downloaded and installed Python 3.2, Quit Terminal, launched "/Applications/Python3.2/Update Shell Profile.command", Quit Terminal again, relaunched Terminal, and typed "python".  It responded...

Python 2.6.1 (r261:67515, Jun 24 2010, 21:47:49)

I was expecting 3.2.2 instead of 2.6.1.

I'd appreciate suggestions.

--Gil

Re: new subscriber

David Cortesi
But just take pains to be clear & include sample code to illustrate your question and somebody will usually answer. (Also, stackoverflow.com is a good place to look for answers.)

Re the mac, none of the non-Apple python installs (i.e. from ActiveState or python.org) will deliberately override the 2.x version distributed by Apple. So you end up with two pythons. The Apple one lives in /System/Frameworks, and /usr/bin/python or /usr/bin/idle invokes it.

And whatever other one you install will be in /Library/Frameworks, and will have some name like python3 or idle3 and be in /usr/local/bin/ (which would need to be in your PATH). It's complicated but it allows two independent pythons to coexist.

Downloaded extension modules usually go to the site-packages folder for that python, with a path like

/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/Extras/lib/python2.6/site-packages