New website: input please

snowwrite
Hi,

My plan is to start developing the new website.. here ....
http://www.baypiggies.net/zope/pr...

What types of modules/packages/products do you think we need? (per usual
message me offline on this please :-))

Here are the ones I think we can make good use of....

Forum (carpool, mentor/mentee section, help needed with the website, new
technologies to share - discuss, etc)
Blog (Aazh, Wes, Alex? Guest bloggers? we could feed Guido's blog
through RSS maybe? see here..(http://planet.plone.org/)
Calendar (community one where we could all add a pythonic event..
doesn't necessarily have to be a baypiggies one.. only members of the
site can post to the calendar.. so no trolls)
Photo Album (I HATE having my picture took.. blech.. but I think a good
group site has the ability to share photos with each other..of events
we've attended, etc )
FAQ (most definitely needed here)
Search (already a part of Plone core)

Groups are part of Plone so we can maybe setup SIG's online .. for
example.. those really interested in IronPython could be part of the
IronPython group within the baypiggies site and share information with
each other.. in their group directory.

There is a massive amount of potential for building an active python
community online we just need to pinpoint which is most critical to the
group as a whole. All site members have the potential for (if we want to
allow it) a member area of their own where they can upload files, create
pages (through a wysiwyg interface) and share with other members of the
site (and visitors) ...

If you are interested in participating in development of the new site
please let me know and I'll make sure you are cc'd on web dev conversations.

Donna

Re: New website: input please

Shannon -jj Behrens
On 5/12/06, Donna M. Snow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My plan is to start developing the new website.. here ....
> http://www.baypiggies.net/zope/pr...
>
> What types of modules/packages/products do you think we need? (per usual
> message me offline on this please :-))
>
> Here are the ones I think we can make good use of....
>
> Forum (carpool, mentor/mentee section, help needed with the website, new
> technologies to share - discuss, etc)
> Blog (Aazh, Wes, Alex? Guest bloggers? we could feed Guido's blog
> through RSS maybe? see here..(http://planet.plone.org/)
> Calendar (community one where we could all add a pythonic event..
> doesn't necessarily have to be a baypiggies one.. only members of the
> site can post to the calendar.. so no trolls)
> Photo Album (I HATE having my picture took.. blech.. but I think a good
> group site has the ability to share photos with each other..of events
> we've attended, etc )
> FAQ (most definitely needed here)
> Search (already a part of Plone core)
>
> Groups are part of Plone so we can maybe setup SIG's online .. for
> example.. those really interested in IronPython could be part of the
> IronPython group within the baypiggies site and share information with
> each other.. in their group directory.
>
> There is a massive amount of potential for building an active python
> community online we just need to pinpoint which is most critical to the
> group as a whole. All site members have the potential for (if we want to
> allow it) a member area of their own where they can upload files, create
> pages (through a wysiwyg interface) and share with other members of the
> site (and visitors) ...
>
> If you are interested in participating in development of the new site
> please let me know and I'll make sure you are cc'd on web dev conversations.

This is just my $0.02, but I think you should keep it simple.  I care
about the meetings and interesting content on the mailing list.  We
need not create a walled garden version of the entire Python world.

Again, that's just my $0.02.

Happy Hacking!
-jj