Newbie

Toby Holland
HI all,

I was wondering if any of you had any advice as to where I should start in regards to learning using and programing with Python.  I have wanted to learn a program language for some time and just felt that now was good and I have heard some great things about Python so any suggestions would be great.

Thank you all in advance!

Toby

Re: Newbie

Scott-133
Toby Holland wrote:
> I was wondering if any of you had any advice as to where I should start
> in regards to learning using and programing with Python.  I have wanted
> to learn a program language for some time and just felt that now was
> good and I have heard some great things about Python so any suggestions
> would be great.
I myself am a newbie and I found starting with "How to Think Like a
Computer Scientist Learning with Python" as a great starter.  You can
find it at http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python.php.

It was very easy to read, the writer is great, I believe a high school
teacher.  The writer does not expect you to know any prior programming.
    also, best of all, it is completely free.

--
Your friend,
Scott

Sent to you from a Linux computer using Ubuntu Version 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)

Re: Newbie

Lutz Horn-4

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 22:25:11 -0400, "Toby Holland"
<[hidden email]> said:
> I was wondering if any of you had any advice as to where I should
> start in regards to learning using and programing with Python.

Take a look at:

* "Byte of Python" <http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page>

* The "Python Tutorial" by GvR <http://docs.python.org/tut/tut.html>

* "Dive into Python" <http://diveintopython.org/> (advanced)

Lutz
--
<http://www.fastmail.fm/mail/?STKI=600622>

Re: Newbie

bhaaluu
On 8/28/07, Toby Holland <[hidden email]> wrote:
> HI all,
> I was wondering if any of you had any advice as to where I should start in
> regards to learning using and programing with Python.  I have wanted to
> learn a program language for some time and just felt that now was good and I
> have heard some great things about Python so any suggestions would be great.
> Thank you all in advance!
> Toby

Greetings,

The Python Books I have are the ones that are freely
available for download from the Internet. Here is the list:

Learning to Program (by Alan Gauld - a Tutor on this list.)
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/index.htm
This book is also available for purchase in dead-tree form.

How To Think Like a Computer Scientist: Learning with Python
http://ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english2e/html/index.html

Dive Into Python
http://www.diveintopython.org/

A Byte of Python
http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page

Python Documentation
http://docs.python.org/index.html

Thinking in Python
http://mindview.net/Books/TIPython

Text Processing in Python
http://gnosis.cx/TPiP/

Your best bet may be the "Learning to Program" book by Alan Gauld.
Also there are a ton of tutorials on the Internet, many of which will
get you up to speed with the basic stuff in a hurry.

Your best bet is to find a book that has a writing style that "clicks"
with you, and work through it, sitting in front of your computer, with
Python installed and working. It is important to read and DO if you
want to learn how to program a computer.

Happy Programming!
--
bhaaluu at gmail dot com