Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Richard Jones-7
Hi all,

Sorry for the late notice. Bit worn out post-PyCon AU :-)

The next meeting is next week. We'll probably talk a bunch about the
conference and things that popped up there. The wiki talk list is
empty - please suggest something! I have a couple of talks on the back
burner, and will probably talk a bit about PyPy's recent release. Not
guaranteeing anything though :-)

As usual the details, including talk signup, are at http://j.mp/mpug

    Richard

Re: Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Noon Silk
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry for the late notice. Bit worn out post-PyCon AU :-)
>
> The next meeting is next week. We'll probably talk a bunch about the
> conference and things that popped up there. The wiki talk list is
> empty - please suggest something! I have a couple of talks on the back
> burner, and will probably talk a bit about PyPy's recent release. Not
> guaranteeing anything though :-)
>
> As usual the details, including talk signup, are at http://j.mp/mpug

I could maybe give a very short talk on some problems I've found with
python unit testing frameworks, to maybe save some people some
troubles (or learn where I've gone wrong :)

>    Richard

Noon Silk

Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en

of being this signature."

Re: Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

rhydwyn beta
I would love that, as I am just starting with pytest

Rhydwyn

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011, Noon Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for the late notice. Bit worn out post-PyCon AU :-)
>>
>> The next meeting is next week. We'll probably talk a bunch about the
>> conference and things that popped up there. The wiki talk list is
>> empty - please suggest something! I have a couple of talks on the back
>> burner, and will probably talk a bit about PyPy's recent release. Not
>> guaranteeing anything though :-)
>>
>> As usual the details, including talk signup, are at http://j.mp/mpug
>
> I could maybe give a very short talk on some problems I've found with
> python unit testing frameworks, to maybe save some people some
> troubles (or learn where I've gone wrong :)
>

>>    Richard

> Noon Silk
>
> Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en
>
> "Every morning when I wake up, I experience an exquisite joy — the joy
> of being this signature."

Re: Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Clare Sloggett
Hi all,

I haven't been along before, I found out about the group when I went to pycon, so just thought I would introduce myself. Is the next meeting 6pm next Monday?

Thanks,
Clare

On 30 August 2011 21:18, rhydwyn beta <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would love that, as I am just starting with pytest

Rhydwyn

On Tuesday, August 30, 2011, Noon Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Richard Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Sorry for the late notice. Bit worn out post-PyCon AU :-)
>>
>> The next meeting is next week. We'll probably talk a bunch about the
>> conference and things that popped up there. The wiki talk list is
>> empty - please suggest something! I have a couple of talks on the back
>> burner, and will probably talk a bit about PyPy's recent release. Not
>> guaranteeing anything though :-)
>>
>> As usual the details, including talk signup, are at http://j.mp/mpug
>
> I could maybe give a very short talk on some problems I've found with
> python unit testing frameworks, to maybe save some people some
> troubles (or learn where I've gone wrong :)
>

>>    Richard

> Noon Silk
>
> Fancy a quantum lunch? http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en
>
> "Every morning when I wake up, I experience an exquisite joy — the joy
> of being this signature."

Re: Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Tennessee Leeuwenburg-3
Hi all,

Welcome Clare! Yes, that's correct, the next meeting is on Monday at
6pm. I think we succeed in being a fairly friendly crowd :)

I am unsure if I can make it this time -- probably about 65% likely.
If I can make it, I'm happy to do a few minutes on PyCon, giving a
quick demo of something silly I did in Python, or running through my
benchmarking presentation that I gave.

Cheers,
-T

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM, Clare Sloggett
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I haven't been along before, I found out about the group when I went to
> pycon, so just thought I would introduce myself. Is the next meeting 6pm
> next Monday?
> Thanks,
> Clare
>
> On 30 August 2011 21:18, rhydwyn beta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I would love that, as I am just starting with pytest
>>
>> Rhydwyn
>>
>> On Tuesday, August 30, 2011, Noon Silk <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > I could maybe give a very short talk on some problems I've found with
>> > python unit testing frameworks, to maybe save some people some
>> > troubles (or learn where I've gone wrong :)

>> > --
>> > Noon Silk
>> >
>> > Fancy a quantum lunch?
>> > http://groups.google.com/group/quantum-lunch?hl=en
>> >
>> > "Every morning when I wake up, I experience an exquisite joy — the joy
>> > of being this signature."

Re: Next meeting: next Monday the 5th of September

Noon Silk
On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Noon Silk
> [...]
> I could maybe give a very short talk on some problems I've found with
> python unit testing frameworks, to maybe save some people some
> troubles (or learn where I've gone wrong :)

Unfortunately, I am unable to attend tonight, so I will instead post
what I planned to say (which in the end is very little) here:

 0. I wanted a system that was: parallel, produced xunit, easily
configurable/categorisable, and teardown/etc
 1. I played with unittest, py.test, and nose
 2. unittest is for structuring your tests in classes, with asserts and so on.
  + nose and py.test are runners; nose has a lot of plugins *but the
multiprocess and xunit ones did not work together*. Also, the
multiprocess one had problems in my specific case (alone).
  + py.test works in parallel, and produces xunit xml, however the
configuration of it is not ideal (it's a little fancy, with a DI-style
funcargs thing).

 In summary, py.test is the better option, but may take a bit of time
in the setup; and in general - make sure all plugins work together! I
didn't do this, and I paid the price. However, almost all the work I
did to make my system work for nose wasn't wasted (nose and py.test
pick up the same categorisation of tests, etc).