On behalf of the Nikola team, I am pleased to announce the immediate
availability of Nikola v8.0.0b2. This release fixes some bugs found in
v8.0.0b1, and adds a few new appearance features (featured posts,
alternate navigation links)
The final version of Nikola v8 should be out in early June.
We welcome everyone to test it with their site and report any issues
to make it the best release ever.
What is Nikola?
Nikola is a static site and blog generator, written in Python.
It can use Mako and Jinja2 templates, and input in many popular markup
formats, such as reStructuredText and Markdown — and can even turn
Jupyter Notebooks into blog posts! It also supports image galleries,
and is multilingual. Nikola is flexible, and page builds are extremely
fast, courtesy of doit (which is rebuilding only what has been changed).
Important compatibility changes not mentioned previously
* You need ``<a class="reference">`` (instead of ``image-reference``)
to activate the lightbox now
* Add ``NAVIGATION_ALT_LINKS`` option, displayed on the right side in
bootstrap4/bootblog4 (Issue #3030)
* Added documentation of Post objects to list of template variables
* Support featured posts in bootblog4 (Issue #2964)
* Add ``THEME_CONFIG`` setting that themes can use in any way
* Use youtube-nocookie.com for better privacy in ``youtube`` reST
directive and improve the appearance of the player
* Improve appearance of ``bootblog4`` on mobile (Issue #3069)
* Make ``smartjoin`` more flexible (Issue #3080)
* Make post-list and post_list synonymous (Issue #3083)
* Support ``CATEGORY_DESTPATH_NAMES`` with pages following destpath
* Make ``CATEGORY_PAGES_FOLLOW_DESTPATH`` more resilient (Issue #3081)
* Guard against null items in gallery meta files (Issues #3076, #3077)
* Respect ``USE_FILENAME_AS_TITLE`` in galleries with a meta file
* Fix gallery metadata for multilingual sites (Issue #3078)