OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

Ramiro B. da Luz
Hi all.

I am a Brazilian pythonista, host of the PythonBrasil[6]-2010 (PythonBrasil is
the name we gave to PyConBrazil).

First of all, sorry about the cross posting.

I am planning my trip to US to attend to the PyConUS.

I would like to make the most from my travel to US, so I intend to arrive some
days before the conference/tutorials and leave some days after the
conference/sprint.

I planned to arrive in San Francisco at March 3, visit some places,
attend to the
conference and leave San Francisco at March 18. My mileage program company
doesn't have flies to San Jose, so I will go to Santa Clara through
San Francisco.

I would like to visit a lot of places, go surf(just to say to my
friends, it can be only
one morning), go sky, visit famous places, maybe Los Angeles, Hollywood, visit
the desert, aquarium, the golden gate, and do some shopping, specially in a free
trade area.

Any advice or tip are welcome. Cheap hotel or places to stay, things
to take care,
etc...

Thank you.

-- Ramiro Batista da Luz
-- [hidden email]
-- (41) 9173-2231
-- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
-- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

wesley chun
bom dia ramiro!! (eu não entendo português, portanto eu fala inglês!)

sorry i did not meet you at PythonBrasil[7] a few months ago, but we welcome you to California! from the PyCon website, you will find this link to area attractions: https://us.pycon.org/2012/venue/explore/

however, it is only for the San Francisco and Silicon Valley. others will have to help you with visiting the southern part of the state or elsewhere. Note that it is about a 6-hour drive from here to Los Angeles, or one-hour by plane. I recommend the following airlines if you're planning on flying (look for airfare around $50USD or 90BRL each way): southwest.com, virginamerica.com, or alaskaair.com.

good luck on your trip, and say HI to luciano, rodolpho, and érico for me! (do most Brazilian mens names end with "o"?) :-)

--wesley

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:24 AM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"Core Python", Prentice Hall, (c)2007,2001
"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
    http://corepython.com

wesley.chun : wescpy-gmail.com : @wescpy/+wescpy
http://cyberwebconsulting.com

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

Jason Culverhouse
My friends always think "California" and want to go surfing too, then I tell that the water here is REALLY cold, even in the summer, It's ~54F or ~12C off the coast right now.

Say it better with charts...
Off the San Mateo Coast

Vs

Sao Paulo

Jason

On Jan 16, 2012, at 1:16 PM, wesley chun wrote:

[...]

Steve Piercy
Indeed.  You'll need at least a 3/2 or 4/3 wetsuit, probably a
4/3 during March.

In Santa Cruz, Pleasure Point is my favorite spot.  Lots of surf
shops and food clustered on 41st Avenue in Capitola, with
showers, easy access, and parking at the end of 41st.  Always
call a local shop for best information, including current conditions.
http://g.co/maps/hpktt

--steve

On 1/16/12 at 2:08 PM, [hidden email] (Jason Culverhouse) pronounced:

> [...]
>>San Francisco.
>>
>>I would like to visit a lot of places, go surf(just to say to my
>>friends, it can be only
>>one morning), go sky, visit famous places, maybe Los Angeles, Hollywood, visit
>>the desert, aquarium, the golden gate, and do some shopping, specially in a free
>>trade area.
>>
>>Any advice or tip are welcome. Cheap hotel or places to stay, things
>>to take care,
>>etc...
>>
>>Thank you.
>>

>>--
>>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>>"Core Python", Prentice Hall, (c)2007,2001
>>"Python Fundamentals", Prentice Hall, (c)2009
>>http://corepython.com
>>
>>wesley.chun : wescpy-gmail.com : @wescpy/+wescpy
>>python training and technical consulting
>>cyberweb.consulting : silicon valley, ca

-- --
Steve Piercy               Web Site Builder
Soquel, CA

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

Ramiro B. da Luz
Hi.

Thank you for all the responses.

I tried to reply each one individually.

I bought the flying tickets, and made some plans.

Fly: G3 1988 - Feb, 29
>From CWB(Curitiba) 09:50 To GIG(Rio de Janeiro) 11:19

Fly: AA 0974 - Feb, 29
>From GIG 22:25 To JFK 06:29 (Mar, 1)

Fly: AA 0001 - Mar, 1
>From JFK 09:00 To LAX 12:30

Fly: AA 1954 - Mar, 4
>From LAX 14:20 To SFO 15:40

So, I made a stop over in Los Angeles without extra expenses,
I intend to do a city tour in L.A. on Friday, Mar, 2. On Saturday
I would like to visit Lake Tahoe, my plan is to fly to Reno, do
a basic ski lesson(I have never seen snow) and go back to Los
Angeles in the same day(by plane). Fly to San Francisco on
Sunday and visit some places on Monday and Tuesday. I will try to
subscribe in a tutorial at PyCon, but if I don't I will have two more
days free to do some tourism.

I will leave US on March, 19.
Fly UA 0847, Mar, 19
>From SFO 13:02 To Washington
Washington - São Paulo
São Paulo - Curitiba.

I plan to do some tourism in Santa Clara after the PyCon, following
the recommendations from the PyCon site. Going to San Francisco
just on Mar, 19 in the morning.

Let me know if you have some advise, specially about clothes to ski.

Thank you again.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I am a Brazilian pythonista, host of the PythonBrasil[6]-2010 (PythonBrasil is
> the name we gave to PyConBrazil).
>
> First of all, sorry about the cross posting.
>
> I am planning my trip to US to attend to the PyConUS.
>
> I would like to make the most from my travel to US, so I intend to arrive some
> days before the conference/tutorials and leave some days after the
> conference/sprint.
>
> I planned to arrive in San Francisco at March 3, visit some places,
> attend to the
> conference and leave San Francisco at March 18. My mileage program company
> doesn't have flies to San Jose, so I will go to Santa Clara through
> San Francisco.
>
> I would like to visit a lot of places, go surf(just to say to my
> friends, it can be only
> one morning), go sky, visit famous places, maybe Los Angeles, Hollywood, visit
> the desert, aquarium, the golden gate, and do some shopping, specially in a free
> trade area.
>
> Any advice or tip are welcome. Cheap hotel or places to stay, things
> to take care,
> etc...
>
> Thank you.

> -- Ramiro Batista da Luz
> -- [hidden email]
> -- (41) 9173-2231
> -- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
> -- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

-- Ramiro Batista da Luz
-- [hidden email]
-- (41) 9173-2231
-- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
-- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

Shannon -jj Behrens
You should also:

 * Visit the Computer History Museum
 * Go to Frys (which is a huge store full of computer stuff)

Both are somewhat close to PyCon.

-jj

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Thank you for all the responses.

I tried to reply each one individually.

I bought the flying tickets, and made some plans.

Fly: G3 1988 - Feb, 29
>From CWB(Curitiba) 09:50 To GIG(Rio de Janeiro) 11:19

Fly: AA 0974 - Feb, 29
>From GIG 22:25 To JFK 06:29 (Mar, 1)

Fly: AA 0001 - Mar, 1
>From JFK 09:00 To LAX 12:30

Fly: AA 1954 - Mar, 4
>From LAX 14:20 To SFO 15:40

So, I made a stop over in Los Angeles without extra expenses,
I intend to do a city tour in L.A. on Friday, Mar, 2. On Saturday
I would like to visit Lake Tahoe, my plan is to fly to Reno, do
a basic ski lesson(I have never seen snow) and go back to Los
Angeles in the same day(by plane). Fly to San Francisco on
Sunday and visit some places on Monday and Tuesday. I will try to
subscribe in a tutorial at PyCon, but if I don't I will have two more
days free to do some tourism.

I will leave US on March, 19.
Fly UA 0847, Mar, 19
>From SFO 13:02 To Washington
Washington - São Paulo
São Paulo - Curitiba.

I plan to do some tourism in Santa Clara after the PyCon, following
the recommendations from the PyCon site. Going to San Francisco
just on Mar, 19 in the morning.

Let me know if you have some advise, specially about clothes to ski.

Thank you again.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am a Brazilian pythonista, host of the PythonBrasil[6]-2010 (PythonBrasil is
> the name we gave to PyConBrazil).
>
> First of all, sorry about the cross posting.
>
> I am planning my trip to US to attend to the PyConUS.
>
> I would like to make the most from my travel to US, so I intend to arrive some
> days before the conference/tutorials and leave some days after the
> conference/sprint.
>
> I planned to arrive in San Francisco at March 3, visit some places,
> attend to the
> conference and leave San Francisco at March 18. My mileage program company
> doesn't have flies to San Jose, so I will go to Santa Clara through
> San Francisco.
>
> I would like to visit a lot of places, go surf(just to say to my
> friends, it can be only
> one morning), go sky, visit famous places, maybe Los Angeles, Hollywood, visit
> the desert, aquarium, the golden gate, and do some shopping, specially in a free
> trade area.
>
> Any advice or tip are welcome. Cheap hotel or places to stay, things
> to take care,
> etc...
>
> Thank you.

> -- Ramiro Batista da Luz
> -- [hidden email]
> -- (41) 9173-2231
> -- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
> -- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

-- Ramiro Batista da Luz
-- [hidden email]
-- (41) 9173-2231
-- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
-- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

David Schnepper-3

And, of course WeirdStuff

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
You should also:

 * Visit the Computer History Museum
 * Go to Frys (which is a huge store full of computer stuff)

Both are somewhat close to PyCon.

-jj

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi.

Thank you for all the responses.

I tried to reply each one individually.

I bought the flying tickets, and made some plans.

Fly: G3 1988 - Feb, 29
>From CWB(Curitiba) 09:50 To GIG(Rio de Janeiro) 11:19

Fly: AA 0974 - Feb, 29
>From GIG 22:25 To JFK 06:29 (Mar, 1)

Fly: AA 0001 - Mar, 1
>From JFK 09:00 To LAX 12:30

Fly: AA 1954 - Mar, 4
>From LAX 14:20 To SFO 15:40

So, I made a stop over in Los Angeles without extra expenses,
I intend to do a city tour in L.A. on Friday, Mar, 2. On Saturday
I would like to visit Lake Tahoe, my plan is to fly to Reno, do
a basic ski lesson(I have never seen snow) and go back to Los
Angeles in the same day(by plane). Fly to San Francisco on
Sunday and visit some places on Monday and Tuesday. I will try to
subscribe in a tutorial at PyCon, but if I don't I will have two more
days free to do some tourism.

I will leave US on March, 19.
Fly UA 0847, Mar, 19
>From SFO 13:02 To Washington
Washington - São Paulo
São Paulo - Curitiba.

I plan to do some tourism in Santa Clara after the PyCon, following
the recommendations from the PyCon site. Going to San Francisco
just on Mar, 19 in the morning.

Let me know if you have some advise, specially about clothes to ski.

Thank you again.

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Ramiro B. da Luz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I am a Brazilian pythonista, host of the PythonBrasil[6]-2010 (PythonBrasil is
> the name we gave to PyConBrazil).
>
> First of all, sorry about the cross posting.
>
> I am planning my trip to US to attend to the PyConUS.
>
> I would like to make the most from my travel to US, so I intend to arrive some
> days before the conference/tutorials and leave some days after the
> conference/sprint.
>
> I planned to arrive in San Francisco at March 3, visit some places,
> attend to the
> conference and leave San Francisco at March 18. My mileage program company
> doesn't have flies to San Jose, so I will go to Santa Clara through
> San Francisco.
>
> I would like to visit a lot of places, go surf(just to say to my
> friends, it can be only
> one morning), go sky, visit famous places, maybe Los Angeles, Hollywood, visit
> the desert, aquarium, the golden gate, and do some shopping, specially in a free
> trade area.
>
> Any advice or tip are welcome. Cheap hotel or places to stay, things
> to take care,
> etc...
>
> Thank you.

> -- Ramiro Batista da Luz
> -- [hidden email]
> -- (41) 9173-2231
> -- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
> -- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

-- Ramiro Batista da Luz
-- [hidden email]
-- (41) 9173-2231
-- http://www.ramiroluz.eti.br
-- Programador || Câmara Municipal de Curitiba

In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: OFF: Trip to PyConUS.

jalopyuser
Shannon -jj Behrens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You should also:
>
>  * Visit the Computer History Museum

Excellent tip.

>  * Go to Frys (which is a huge store full of computer stuff)

Can't recommend it.  Micro Center Silicon Valley is closer to the
conference, and more fun (IMO).

Bill