ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

Wong Wah Meng-R32813-2
Hello there,

My oracledb module on HP-UX is unable to connect to database when I export environment variable NLS_LANG="SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_CHINA.ZHS16GBK". There is no issue when such environment variable is exported and the SQLPLUS is issued. The DBA determined that this is an application error. Does anyone know this might be related to the some national language library not properly installed on the server? I noticed that there is no $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon folder on my server where Oracle installed is 11g, and I googled that environemnt variable ORA_NLS33 by default is pointing to $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data. Or ORA_NLS33 is no longer in use for Oracle 11g?

$ python
Python 1.5.2 (#9, May 23 2000, 14:18:02) [C] on hp-uxB
>>> import oracledb
>>> a=oracledb.oracledb("gen812ora8/gen812db1ora8@DB1ORA9")
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
OracleDbError: LOGON caused a ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

$ uname -a
HP-UX zmy02hp3 B.11.31 U ia64 3240906838 unlimited-user license
$ sqlplus gen812ora8/gen812db1ora8@DB1ORA9

SQL*Plus: Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production on ÅúóÖѱ 3åô 8 12:10:24 2011
Copyright (c) 1982, 2008, Oracle.  All rights reserved.
Connected to:
Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
With the Data Mining option
With the Data Mining option
SQL>

Regards,
Wah Meng

Re: ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

Dieter Maurer
Wong Wah Meng-R32813 wrote at 2011-3-8 10:16 +0000:

>My oracledb module on HP-UX is unable to connect to database when I export environment variable NLS_LANG="SIMPLIFIED CHINESE_CHINA.ZHS16GBK". There is no issue when such environment variable is exported and the SQLPLUS is issued. The DBA determined that this is an application error. Does anyone know this might be related to the some national language library not properly installed on the server? I noticed that there is no $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon folder on my server where Oracle installed is 11g, and I googled that environemnt variable ORA_NLS33 by default is pointing to $ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data. Or ORA_NLS33 is no longer in use for Oracle 11g?
>
>$ python
>Python 1.5.2 (#9, May 23 2000, 14:18:02) [C] on hp-uxB
>Copyright 1991-1995 Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>OracleDbError: LOGON caused a ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

I would check the Oracle documentation for error "ORA-12705"
to get indications what can cause this error.

The message indicates that the problem is with the NLS files during "LOGON".
I suppose it is a server problem (but I am not sure). In this case,
you may find something relevant in the server log files.

Unfortunately, Oracle error messages are (following the Microsoft example)
often less specific than they should and could be:
ideally, they would tell which files or directory could not be accessed.
Maybe, the Oracle documentation helps you to fill the holes left
by the error messages.

--
Dieter

Re: ORA-12705: Cannot access NLS data files or invalid environment specified

Wong Wah Meng-R32813-2
Thanks Dieter. Yeah I logged a ticket to Oracle and wait for their support to advise me what went wrong. The original guess on ORA_NLS33 could be the culprit is wrong as we managed to find the right folder to set the parameter, the problem still exists.

I will give an update here after working with Oracle. Thanks!

Regards,
Wah Meng