[OT] Book authoring

Miki Tebeka-4
Greetings,

Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
3. Automatic TOC and index
4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"

Can I somehow use Sphinx?

Miki

Re: [OT] Book authoring

Grant Edwards-7
On 2011-12-09, Miki Tebeka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
> 1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
> 2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
> 3. Automatic TOC and index
> 4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

I've used asciidoc extensively and reStructuredText a little. Asciidoc
will produce all the formats you mentioned (though I've only refularly
used HTML and PDF). reStructuredText is what's used for Python docs
isn't it?

> Can I somehow use Sphinx?

Don't know what Sphinx is.

And there's always the old stand-by LaTeX, but it's a bit more
heavyweight with more of a learning curve.  OTOH, it does produce
text-book quality output.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! BELA LUGOSI is my
                                  at               co-pilot ...

Re: [OT] Book authoring

Nick Dokos
Grant Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2011-12-09, Miki Tebeka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
> > 1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
> > 2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
> > 3. Automatic TOC and index
> > 4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language
>
> I've used asciidoc extensively and reStructuredText a little. Asciidoc
> will produce all the formats you mentioned (though I've only refularly
> used HTML and PDF). reStructuredText is what's used for Python docs
> isn't it?
>
> > Can I somehow use Sphinx?
>
> Don't know what Sphinx is.

I think Sphinx is used for the python docs: it sits atop rST and does
all the transformations/processing to produce the desired output
( http://sphinx.pocoo.org )

> And there's always the old stand-by LaTeX, but it's a bit more
> heavyweight with more of a learning curve.  OTOH, it does produce
> text-book quality output.

There is also orgmode, which has been used for a few books
(http://orgmode.org ). I know it does HTML and PDF (the latter through
latex), but I'm not sure about ePub: ISTR somebody actually did ePub for
his book but I don't remember details. The indexing is manual:
add #+index: foo entries as required.  But in general, imo, automatic
indexing for books sucks raw eggs (it works much better for highly
regular source code like the python source base).

Nick

Re: [OT] Book authoring

Nick Dokos
Nick Dokos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There is also orgmode, which has been used for a few books
> (http://orgmode.org ). I know it does HTML and PDF (the latter through
> latex), but I'm not sure about ePub: ISTR somebody actually did ePub for
> his book but I don't remember details.

Avdi Grimm produced his book "Exceptional Ruby"
(http://exceptionalruby.com ) this way, including ePub formats (I hope
mentioning Ruby in this context is not a punishable offense...)

Apparently, there is calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) that will take
you from HTML to ePub. See this orgmode list article e.g.

     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41826

Nick

Re: [OT] Book authoring

andrea crotti-2
On 12/09/2011 03:25 AM, Miki Tebeka wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
> 1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
> 2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
> 3. Automatic TOC and index
> 4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"
>
> Can I somehow use Sphinx?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Miki

I think it depends on what you want exactly.
If it's a nice book with a scientific look and many complicated
tables/figures
than I think that LaTeX is the way to go (maybe even org-mode but it's
mainly
for emacs-fans).

The problem with LaTeX is that it's quite tricky to export to other
formats, harder
to learn and not as flexible as a python-based solution as Sphinx.
I would suggest to try Sphinx and see if you're missing something..

Re: [OT] Book authoring

Johann Spies-6
Have a look at Markdown + pandoc.

Regards
Johann
--
Because experiencing your loyal love is better than life itself,
my lips will praise you.  (Psalm 63:3)