OT: googling "logo"

Arthur-27
Kids Programming Language comes up.

And I did recently find out that my "ideal" of the elementary school teacher
(in my own experience) - Mr. B. - did eventually incorporate Logo into his
curriculum.

So I just googled "Logo".

The first hit is the homepage of Sourceforge (which I find encouraging), but
the 4th hit the homepage of Mircosoft (which I find confusing).

Turns out "edit -> Find on this page" for either has no hits for "logo".

I have to assume that Google is getting the hits from the html source -
though I can't find a "logo" on the current Sourceforge homepage source.

I guess I never thought about the possibility that Google gets fooled by
reference in html source that is not at all relevant to the actual public
page and the basis on which it is visited.

If true, isn't that subject to all kinds of abuse?

The other "hits" are a collection of the most visited sights on the web,
e.g. ebay. Presumably they all have logos and a reference in their html
source to a logo.

But is Sourceforge more visited than Microsoft and Ebay?

Googling "Logo Software" helps a bit, but since many of the most visited
sites have something to do with software and have logos, not a very sensible
selection comes back.

Its pretty rare - in my experience - to find a circumstance in which Google
seems quite broken.

I guess there are always corner cases.

Art

Re: OT: googling "logo"

JanC
On 10/4/05, Arthur <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]
> So I just googled "Logo".
>
> The first hit is the homepage of Sourceforge (which I find encouraging), but
> the 4th hit the homepage of Mircosoft (which I find confusing).
[...]
> Googling "Logo Software" helps a bit, but since many of the most visited
> sites have something to do with software and have logos, not a very sensible
> selection comes back.
>
> Its pretty rare - in my experience - to find a circumstance in which Google
> seems quite broken.

Just ask google (or any other search engine) what you're looking for:
http://www.google.com/search?q=logo+programming+language

--
JanC

Re: OT: googling "logo"

Arthur-27

Google on "python" and the first hit (not too surprising) is
www.python.org

If the gif image around which organizations built their identity was called
a "python", it apparently would be otherwise.

Just a curiosity of the new age.

I am sure good marketing types now give such matters Deep Thought.

Art

Re: OT: googling "logo"

Kirby Urner
> I am sure good marketing types now give such matters Deep Thought.
>
> Art

I know I don't, but others might.  I'm at least OK at marketing.

Kirby

Re: OT: googling "logo"

Arthur-27

Well I thought there was a bit of an industry growing up around the idea of
psyching out Google.

I had the opportunity to chat with the lead of a project (with an underlying
profit motive) that is perennially in the Sourceforge "most active" top ten,
who was a little more unashamed then you might expect to explain how to me
how he assures himself that ranking.

Whatever.

Art

Re: OT: googling "logo"

John Zelle
Guido must be a whiz at marketing. Look what happens when you google:
programming language :-)

--Z

Arthur wrote:

> [...]

John M. Zelle, Ph.D.             Wartburg College
Professor of Computer Science    Waverly, IA
[hidden email]          (319) 352-8360

Re: OT: googling "logo"

Arthur-27

> Guido must be a whiz at marketing. Look what happens when you
> google:
> programming language :-)
>
> --Z

No argument here.