OT ish Blocking telemarketers

Seymore4Head
Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
to block phone calls?

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

sohcahtoa82@gmail.com

Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT), sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:

>On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:
>> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
>> to block phone calls?
>
>Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.

I guess I should have said...........A program that runs on Windows
that uses a modem and a national blacklist to block phone calls.

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

Chris Angelico
On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM, Seymore4Head
<Seymore4Head at hotmail.invalid> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT), sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>>On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:
>>> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
>>> to block phone calls?
>>
>>Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.
>
> I guess I should have said...........A program that runs on Windows
> that uses a modem and a national blacklist to block phone calls.

I'm not entirely sure how you'd use a modem to block phone calls. Do
you mean that the computer answers it before the human has to deal
with it? And then what does it do?

My anti-phone-spam policy is much simpler. I don't depend on
caller-id, I don't depend on blacklists... I just don't have a phone.
No matter what the incoming number is, it can't be for me, so I take
no notice. Look, ma! No spam! :)

ChrisA

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 5:03:25 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 15:57:53 -0700 (PDT), sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:
>
> >On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 3:23:32 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:
> >> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
> >> to block phone calls?
> >
> >Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.
>
> I guess I should have said...........A program that runs on Windows
> that uses a modem and a national blacklist to block phone calls.

On a home telephone, you can't block phone calls "client-side" so-to-speak.  At best, you can have a phone that can choose not to ring based on the number calling, but in my experience, most telemarketers block their caller ID from showing up so that wouldn't work anyways.  Also, any OTHER phones connected to the same line would still ring unless one of phones "answered" the call and then hung up, which is something a modem could do.

Are you in the USA?  Have you checked out the Do Not Call registry? https://www.donotcall.gov/

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

Michael Torrie
On 06/12/2015 04:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
> to block phone calls?

I'm sure you could install and use the Asterisk PBX software, and I bet
people have made scripts for it to block calls in this way.  You'll need
to take your question to the asterisk mailing list though.

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 17:37:32 -0700 (PDT), sohcahtoa82 at gmail.com wrote:

>On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 5:03:25 PM UTC-7, Seymore4Head wrote:

>> >Are you talking about a Windows Phone?  Windows for a PC doesn't make phone calls unless that's a new feature that I don't know about.
>>
>> I guess I should have said...........A program that runs on Windows
>> that uses a modem and a national blacklist to block phone calls.
>
>On a home telephone, you can't block phone calls "client-side" so-to-speak.  At best, you can have a phone that can choose not to ring based on the number calling, but in my experience, most telemarketers block their caller ID from showing up so that wouldn't work anyways.  Also, any OTHER phones connected to the same line would still ring unless one of phones "answered" the call and then hung up, which is something a modem could do.
>
>Are you in the USA?  Have you checked out the Do Not Call registry? https://www.donotcall.gov/

Yes I have tried the DNCR.  It didn't help.  The calls are not coming
from the US although the caller ID says they are.

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

hamilton
On 6/12/2015 9:47 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

> Yes I have tried the DNCR.  It didn't help.  The calls are not coming
> from the US although the caller ID says they are.

So you want to "block" calls from a faked number ?!?

( do you have a good program to select lotto numbers?? :-)

On my cell phone, I have my ringer turned off and it only vibrates, so I
get a chance to see the number calling.

If the number has already been logged into my phone, then it has a name
attached to it.

If no name is displayed, I do not answer. I will google the number to
see if that number has a history. ( see http://800notes.com )

If you still have a landline, check with your provider to see if they
offer call blocking.

Years ago, USWEST had call blocking, but a limited amount of numbers
could be entered. ( after talking with them about this, they told me
that they had limited space per home phone number to store blocked
numbers. )

DNCR is NOT the enemy, SCAMmers use what ever number they think they can
get away with to make bogus calls.

Until the NSA makes their data available to the public, SCAM callers
will continue.

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

alister
On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:47:18 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 06/12/2015 04:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
>> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
>> to block phone calls?
>
> I'm sure you could install and use the Asterisk PBX software, and I bet
> people have made scripts for it to block calls in this way.  You'll need
> to take your question to the asterisk mailing list though.

& you will still be wasting your time.
the scumbags change numbers regularly & will also withhold it

it is like fighting the hydra, for every 1 you block 2 more appear

--
Chemistry is applied theology.
                -- Augustus Stanley Owsley III

OT ish Blocking telemarketers

Michael Torrie
On 06/12/2015 04:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
> to block phone calls?

You could port your number into Google Voice and then forward that to
your cell phone or land line.  You can screen all calls if you want
(direct them to voicemail and listen in), and you can block numbers as
spam.

On 06/13/2015 08:42 AM, alister wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 19:47:18 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:
>
>> On 06/12/2015 04:20 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
>>> Is there a program what runs on Windows that uses a national blacklist
>>> to block phone calls?
>>
>> I'm sure you could install and use the Asterisk PBX software, and I bet
>> people have made scripts for it to block calls in this way.  You'll need
>> to take your question to the asterisk mailing list though.
>
> & you will still be wasting your time.
> the scumbags change numbers regularly & will also withhold it
>
> it is like fighting the hydra, for every 1 you block 2 more appear

Sure but with a proper PBX, you can stop almost all telemarketers right
at the door with a touch-tone menu.  They don't have the time (money) to
wait if you don't answer right away.

On Sat, 13 Jun 2015 08:53:35 -0600, Michael Torrie wrote:

> On 06/13/2015 08:42 AM, alister wrote:

>>> I'm sure you could install and use the Asterisk PBX software, and I
>>> bet people have made scripts for it to block calls in this way.
>>> You'll need to take your question to the asterisk mailing list though.
>>
>> & you will still be wasting your time.
>> the scumbags change numbers regularly & will also withhold it
>>
>> it is like fighting the hydra, for every 1 you block 2 more appear
>
> Sure but with a proper PBX, you can stop almost all telemarketers right
> at the door with a touch-tone menu.  They don't have the time (money) to
> wait if you don't answer right away.

I have considered that approach on many occasions but it would make life
difficult for genuine callers.

Now I just play with them to waste there time
you would not believe how many are stupid enough to bite when you say "I
don't deal with disreputable companies" :-)

the current record is 15 minutes for one wally who spent 15 minutes
listening to silence while i left the phone off the hook in another room
( & i had even told him that was what i was about to do)

that was 15 minutes he was not bothering someone else.

--
<Palisade> how are we going to pronounce '00 or '01 or '02 and so on?
<Deek> Say goodbye to the nineties, say hello to the naughties. :)