Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

J C-12
I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com

Java?
Perl?
Python?

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Nathan R. Yergler-4
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM, J C <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an
> online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com
>
> Java?
> Perl?
> Python?

The one you know best.

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Nathan Ramella
The language you use shouldn't really matter, the juice of any dictionary app is going to be the backend database. Since you have a small amount of data to contend with (OED2 is roughly about 600 megs compressed) it's basically down to the type of searches you want to do. I did something similar (and am still working on some dictionary stuff..), but my first iteration was a PDF search engine for ~300gb of PDF content.

You'd probably do very well with the following configuration:

1) Lucene backend for the search engine, it can very easily handle the amount of data necessary and can be fine tuned. While Lucene is written in Java, I can't argue with the fact that it works great and has a thriving developer community and there's nothing close to it in the Python world. You could just go with a MySQL/Oracle/etc backend, but what you end up having to redevelop is the trie-search algorithm stuff.

2) Some sort of web-service overlay that speaks DICT http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DICT. I used mod_python + PyLucene for accessing data. Speaking DICT isn't necessary, but it does eliminate the need to reproduce existing work.

3) Some sort of display layer, could be anything. Good candidates are Django or some AJAXy thing. I went with FLEX Builder just because it makes sexy GUI work ridiculously easy. PyAMF speaks to FLEX nicely.

You could do it all in Python or Java or Perl.. But it's what you feel comfortable using that really matters.

-n

On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:34 PM, J C wrote:

I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com

Java?
Perl?
Python?

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

J C-12
If the dictionary file is xml. Does make a difference?

To: [hidden email]
Subject: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:34:05 +0000

I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com

Java?
Perl?
Python?

Upgrade to Hotmail Plus and share more photos with bigger attachments. Click here to find out how Click here to find out how

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

J C-12
How would one convert the xml file? I am fairly new to programing etc. Are you sure this is required? Words are grouped by a particular range in the alphabet (shown in the file name). Words are in a particular tag with a corresponding unique identifier.

From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 15:44:53 -0800

You'll want to convert it to something with faster lookups. XML is extremely slow compared to even the slowest database. But, it should be relatively simple to convert.

-n

To: [hidden email]
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:34:05 +0000

I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com

Java?
Perl?
Python?

Upgrade to Hotmail Plus and share more photos with bigger attachments. Click here to find out how Click here to find out how _______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list

Upgrade to Hotmail Plus and share more photos with bigger attachments. Click here to find out how Click here to find out how

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Michael Cheponis
For sure, I'd have to say assembly language; possibly portable assembly language (that is, C). Undoubtedly, your dictionary/thesaurus will fit entirely in memory. This way will always be the fastest, as you never want a user to wait even a millisecond if it's not necessary.  People should NEVER wait for machines, and this trend of ever-bloated software MUST end. Every second your software wastes of other people's lives is a second they could have been doing something more productive.  When multiplied by the millions of users you'll have, inefficient software is causing HUGH amounts of Human Life to be wasted, just because a programmer was lazy.

You should probably prototype it in Python, however.  And, who knows, that may be fast enough for your application.

-Mike

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, J C wrote:

>Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 21:34:05 +0000
>From: J C <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: [Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus
>

>I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an
>online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com
>
>Java?
>Perl?
>Python?

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Asheesh Laroia
On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, J C wrote:

> How would one convert the xml file? I am fairly new to programing etc.
> Are you sure this is required? Words are grouped by a particular range
> in the alphabet (shown in the file name). Words are in a particular tag
> with a corresponding unique identifier.

You might like to read "Dive Into Python"
<http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html> which covers XML
processing.

But if you just want a website, I would suggest you:

* Learn about how to run a web server like Apache and have it show plain
HTML pages to a user

* Learn how to write a program that generates HTML files

(If you are a new programmer, I recommend this text
<http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/> to learn how to program
in Python. Then go back to Dive Into Python.)

* Write a program that generates one HTML file per web page you want your
users to be able to see.

That way, no programs other than the web server get called when users hit
your website, so it will be as fast as it can be.

-- Asheesh.

--
No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you!  Consider the furniture!
  -- Sherlock Holmes

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Pete-110
On Feb 4, 2009, at 1:34 PM, J C wrote:

I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com

Java?
Perl?
Python?

Depends on what languages your TA knows.  Choosing something he's not familiar with may make him feel inferior, which is never good for one's grade.

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

Paul McNett ∅
J C wrote:
> I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to develop
> an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com
>
> Java?
> Perl?
> Python?

This application would require:

+ some sort of data storage mechanism
+ a language to write the logic of the application
+ some method to present the application as a web site

All of the languages you mention have this ability. We being members of BayPiggies
would argue that Python would be the best choice. So I'm not sure how to continue the
discussion until more information is given.

Paul

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

J C-12
Interesting... Do you suppose this is how dictionary. com would do this also?

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:12:57 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus
>
> On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, J C wrote:
>
> > How would one convert the xml file? I am fairly new to programing etc.
> > Are you sure this is required? Words are grouped by a particular range
> > in the alphabet (shown in the file name). Words are in a particular tag
> > with a corresponding unique identifier.
>
> You might like to read "Dive Into Python"
> <http://www.diveintopython.org/toc/index.html> which covers XML
> processing.
>
> But if you just want a website, I would suggest you:
>
> * Learn about how to run a web server like Apache and have it show plain
> HTML pages to a user
>
> * Learn how to write a program that generates HTML files
>
> (If you are a new programmer, I recommend this text
> <http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/html/> to learn how to program
> in Python. Then go back to Dive Into Python.)
>
> * Write a program that generates one HTML file per web page you want your
> users to be able to see.
>
> That way, no programs other than the web server get called when users hit
> your website, so it will be as fast as it can be.
>
> -- Asheesh.
>
> --
> No violence, gentlemen -- no violence, I beg of you! Consider the furniture!
> -- Sherlock Holmes

Use Windows Live Messenger to send messages to your buddies on their mobile phones Find out more on our PC to Mobile website

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, J C wrote:

> Interesting... Do you suppose this is how dictionary. com would do this
> also?

No idea.

But I can say this: If you don't have the skills to do what I described,
you won't succeed at anything more complicated. And if that simple
strategy I suggested is good enough for what you want, then you're golden.

-- Asheesh.

--
Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral?  It is because we
are not the person involved.

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

J C-12
So this would be a site generation system that creates the entire site that makes use of separately-held page templates, an XML page database and content files to generate a choice of live or pending pages using a simple web-based form.

> Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 18:24:11 -0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
> Subject: RE: [Baypiggies] Online Dictionary/Thesaurus
>
> On Thu, 5 Feb 2009, J C wrote:
>
> > Interesting... Do you suppose this is how dictionary. com would do this
> > also?
>
> No idea.
>
> But I can say this: If you don't have the skills to do what I described,
> you won't succeed at anything more complicated. And if that simple
> strategy I suggested is good enough for what you want, then you're golden.
>
> -- Asheesh.
>
> --
> Why is it that we rejoice at a birth and grieve at a funeral? It is because we
> are not the person involved.
> -- Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's Calendar"

Re: Online Dictionary/Thesaurus

jalopyuser
J C <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was would like to ask what the best programming language is to
> develop an online dictionary/thesaurus similar to dictionary. com
>
> Java?
> Perl?
> Python?

As long as it speaks RFC 2229, I think you could use anything you're
comfortable with.  I find Python with Twisted or even Medusa pretty
convenient for these applications.

Bill