OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

Glen Jarvis
Okay, I'm day-dreaming with this one... but, just for a second imagine....

Open source, *MODULAR HARDWARE*. I've always imagined cell phones to be like this so you modularly add whatever components you want to make a single device. I like the idea that this hardware is a device that you "plug in a "GPS device" or "camera" or whatever sensor you need. Think of a swiss-army knife of mobile devices like this...

Anyhow, back to reality: Think Geek has found something awesome (not exactly what I dreamed about, but getting in the right ball park):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/bdbd/

It's completely open source (Hardware and software). Unfortunately, I don't know Java (and am not that interested in learning Java). But, if it's open source, and since this community is so dog gone bright... I bet we could make a Python equivalent, or use Jython if nothing else...

Who's interested? I'm still a starving hacker, so there's no way I can afford this price tag. Anyone want to buy a toy like this and have a big play date where we all hack on it to make something cool in Jython or Python?

It's a limited offer, and Think Geek's been pretty honest about this in the past. They probably won't carry it for long, if it isn't already sold out.

Cheers,

Glen
--

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Re: OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

Shannon -jj Behrens
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm day-dreaming with this one... but, just for a second imagine....
> Open source, *MODULAR HARDWARE*. I've always imagined cell phones to be like
> this so you modularly add whatever components you want to make a single
> device. I like the idea that this hardware is a device that you "plug in a
> "GPS device" or "camera" or whatever sensor you need. Think of a swiss-army
> knife of mobile devices like this...
> Anyhow, back to reality: Think Geek has found something awesome (not exactly
> what I dreamed about, but getting in the right ball park):
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/bdbd/
> It's completely open source (Hardware and software). Unfortunately, I don't
> know Java (and am not that interested in learning Java). But, if it's open
> source, and since this community is so dog gone bright... I bet we could
> make a Python equivalent, or use Jython if nothing else...
> Who's interested? I'm still a starving hacker, so there's no way I can
> afford this price tag. Anyone want to buy a toy like this and have a big
> play date where we all hack on it to make something cool in Jython or
> Python?
> It's a limited offer, and Think Geek's been pretty honest about this in the
> past. They probably won't carry it for long, if it isn't already sold out.
> Cheers,

If you want a phone with "open source" hardware, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page.  Unfortunately, it's not
really modular in the sense that you want.  I don't think you can
create an iPhone-like device in a modular way.  I.e. it takes a heck
of a lot of planning to get all the pieces to fit ;)

-jj

--
In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things
with great love. -- Mother Teresa

Re: OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

Glen Jarvis
If you want a phone with "open source" hardware, see
http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page.  Unfortunately, it's not
really modular in the sense that you want.

Cool :)  There's also the G1 =)

 I don't think you can
create an iPhone-like device in a modular way.  I.e. it takes a heck
of a lot of planning to get all the pieces to fit ;)

Yes, but I can *DREAM* can't I ;)

*stomp* I wanna pony ;)

hee hee

Cheers,  :)

Glen

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Re: OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

Brent Tubbs
> It's a limited offer, and Think Geek's been pretty honest about this in the
> past. They probably won't carry it for long, if it isn't already sold out.

I wouldn't worry too much about it selling out.  You can get it from
the manufacturer for the same price.  See http://store.buglabs.net/

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm day-dreaming with this one... but, just for a second imagine....
> Open source, *MODULAR HARDWARE*. I've always imagined cell phones to be like
> this so you modularly add whatever components you want to make a single
> device. I like the idea that this hardware is a device that you "plug in a
> "GPS device" or "camera" or whatever sensor you need. Think of a swiss-army
> knife of mobile devices like this...
> Anyhow, back to reality: Think Geek has found something awesome (not exactly
> what I dreamed about, but getting in the right ball park):
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/bdbd/
> It's completely open source (Hardware and software). Unfortunately, I don't
> know Java (and am not that interested in learning Java). But, if it's open
> source, and since this community is so dog gone bright... I bet we could
> make a Python equivalent, or use Jython if nothing else...
> Who's interested? I'm still a starving hacker, so there's no way I can
> afford this price tag. Anyone want to buy a toy like this and have a big
> play date where we all hack on it to make something cool in Jython or
> Python?
> It's a limited offer, and Think Geek's been pretty honest about this in the
> past. They probably won't carry it for long, if it isn't already sold out.
> Cheers,
>
> Glen
> http://www.glenjarvis.com
> "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

Re: OpenSource | Think Geek | Python Hacking

Andy Wiggin
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM, Glen Jarvis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I'm day-dreaming with this one... but, just for a second imagine....
> Open source, *MODULAR HARDWARE*. I've always imagined cell phones to be like
> this so you modularly add whatever components you want to make a single
> device. I like the idea that this hardware is a device that you "plug in a
> "GPS device" or "camera" or whatever sensor you need. Think of a swiss-army
> knife of mobile devices like this...
> Anyhow, back to reality: Think Geek has found something awesome (not exactly
> what I dreamed about, but getting in the right ball park):
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/bdbd/
> It's completely open source (Hardware and software). Unfortunately, I don't
> know Java (and am not that interested in learning Java). But, if it's open
> source, and since this community is so dog gone bright... I bet we could
> make a Python equivalent, or use Jython if nothing else...
> Who's interested? I'm still a starving hacker, so there's no way I can
> afford this price tag. Anyone want to buy a toy like this and have a big
> play date where we all hack on it to make something cool in Jython or
> Python?
> It's a limited offer, and Think Geek's been pretty honest about this in the
> past. They probably won't carry it for long, if it isn't already sold out.
> Cheers,
>
> Glen
> http://www.glenjarvis.com
> "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -M. Gandhi

FYI, Linux Journal had this on the cover of the August 2008 issue. The
article is here:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10125

It DOES look like a pretty fun toy...

-Andy