Organisation of NEWS file

Jeff Allen-2
Routine business, but this keeps confusing me, and I feel I may
sometimes have inserted things in the wrong place. However, this is
helpful:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html?highlight=news#what-s-new-and-news-entries

 From the perspective of the reader, I think he needs to read NEWS as
saying "In release such-and-such, the bugs fixed are: <list of bugs>".

It follows that we insert bugs fixed at the top, and definitely above
the name of the last release actually made at the time the bug fix went
in. Possibly we are inserting under the title of the next release in
prospect. If we follow the branch-naming strategy here:
https://docs.python.org/devguide/devcycle.html#branches , then we often
know what that release is to be called. It would be acceptable (better?)
not to have a title at all above the first bug-fixed entry, meaning that
it exists in the development tip (of the branch where you found the NEWS
file).

Accordingly, I'm moving the rc1 heading down to where it seems to
belong, judging from a quick look at the commit log, and inserting rc2
and rc3 headings. Do  put me right (& fix) if you're sure this is incorrect.

--
Jeff Allen

Re: Organisation of NEWS file

fwierzbicki@gmail.com