PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Jeff Melvaine
Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS
G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains that Python
2.7 is not registered, and the lists of versions and directories to
use instead are both blank. When I run the register script from your
website, it says that it cannot register, probably (it says) because
Python is registered already.
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Charlie Clark-6
Hiya Jeff,

Am 13.06.2011, 18:30 Uhr, schrieb Jeff Melvaine <[hidden email]>:

> Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS
> G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains that Python
> 2.7 is not registered, and the lists of versions and directories to
> use instead are both blank. When I run the register script from your
> website, it says that it cannot register, probably (it says) because
> Python is registered already.

I suspect that you have a 32/64 bit mismatch. PIL works fine with Python  
2.7 on Windows as long as you have the 32-bit of Python. If you really  
need 64-bit you will have to compile PIL for Windows using Visual Studio.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office
Helmholtzstr. 20
Düsseldorf
D- 40215
Tel: +49-211-600-3657
Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Sebastian Haase-3
Or get it from
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 7:57 PM, Charlie Clark
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hiya Jeff,
>
> Am 13.06.2011, 18:30 Uhr, schrieb Jeff Melvaine <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS
>> G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains that Python
>> 2.7 is not registered, and the lists of versions and directories to
>> use instead are both blank. When I run the register script from your
>> website, it says that it cannot register, probably (it says) because
>> Python is registered already.
>
> I suspect that you have a 32/64 bit mismatch. PIL works fine with Python 2.7
> on Windows as long as you have the 32-bit of Python. If you really need
> 64-bit you will have to compile PIL for Windows using Visual Studio.
>
> Charlie
> --
> Charlie Clark
> Managing Director
> Clark Consulting & Research
> German Office
> Helmholtzstr. 20
> Düsseldorf
> D- 40215
> Tel: +49-211-600-3657
> Mobile: +49-178-782-6226
> _______________________________________________
> Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
>
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Jeff Melvaine
In reply to this post by Jeff Melvaine
Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS
G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains as follows:

Python version 2.7 required, whih was not found in the registry.

When I OK this message box, I get a blank form:

Python 2.7 is required for this package.Select installation to use

{Blank list]

Python Directory: [Blank text]
Installation Directory: [Blank text]

When I run the register script from your website, it says that it
cannot register, probably (it says) because Python is registered
already.

The registry editor shows that I have the following entries defined:

Python
 PythonCore
  Help
   Main Python Documentation: C:\Python27\Doc\python271.chm
  InstallPath: C:\Python27\
   InstallGroup: Python 2.7
  Modules
  PythonPath: C:\Python27\Lib;\Python27\DLLs;C:\Python27\Lib\lib-tk

All these entries have type REG_SZ. I have not played with the
registry or deviated from the default installation process.

I am toying with the idea of entering C:\Python27\ in the installer's
text entry fields for Python directory and installation directory, but
I'm wary of misfired installation procedures that might be hard to
undo, so I thought I should ask first.

TIA

Jeff
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Chris Mitchell-2
It's because the registry is different on 64 bit windows you are running into this problem. It also probably means that what you are trying to install is compiled for a 32 bit os. Chris gohlke has a 64 bit binary built. Google around and you should find his website

Jeff Melvaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains as follows: Python version 2.7 required, whih was not found in the registry. When I OK this message box, I get a blank form: Python 2.7 is required for this package.Select installation to use {Blank list] Python Directory: [Blank text] Installation Directory: [Blank text] When I run the register script from your website, it says that it cannot register, probably (it says) because Python is registered already. The registry editor shows that I have the following entries defined: Python PythonCore Help Main Python Documentation: C:\Python27\Doc\python271.chm InstallPath: C:\Python27\ InstallGroup: Python 2.7 Modules PythonPath: C:\Python27\Lib;\Python27\DLLs;C:\Python27\Lib\lib-tk All these entries have type REG_SZ. I have not played with the registry or deviated from the default installation process. I am toying with the idea of entering C:\Python27\ in the installer's text entry fields for Python directory and installation directory, but I'm wary of misfired installation procedures that might be hard to undo, so I thought I should ask first. TIA Jeff
Image-SIG maillist - [hidden email] http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig

_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Fwd: PIL 1.1.7 and Python 2.7.1

Jeff Melvaine
[Slaps forehead after realising that he downloaded a file with Win32
in its name and didn't notice]
Indeed, I found http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/ in 5
minutes. Thanks for the wake-up.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM, Chris Mitchell <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's because the registry is different on 64 bit windows you are running
> into this problem. It also probably means that what you are trying to
> install is compiled for a 32 bit os. Chris gohlke has a 64 bit binary built.
> Google around and you should find his website
>
> Jeff Melvaine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Is this combination supported? I'm running 64 bit Windows 7 on my ASUS
>> G73JW, and when I try to install PIL, the wizard complains as follows:
>> Python version 2.7 required, whih was not found in the registry. When I OK
>> this message box, I get a blank form: Python 2.7 is required for this
>> package.Select installation to use {Blank list] Python Directory: [Blank
>> text] Installation Directory: [Blank text] When I run the register script
>> from your website, it says that it cannot register, probably (it says)
>> because Python is registered already. The registry editor shows that I have
>> the following entries defined: Python PythonCore Help Main Python
>> Documentation: C:\Python27\Doc\python271.chm InstallPath: C:\Python27\
>> InstallGroup: Python 2.7 Modules PythonPath:
>> C:\Python27\Lib;\Python27\DLLs;C:\Python27\Lib\lib-tk All these entries have
>> type REG_SZ. I have not played with the registry or deviated from the
>> default installation process. I am toying with the idea of entering
>> C:\Python27\ in the installer's text entry fields for Python directory and
>> installation directory, but I'm wary of misfired installation procedures
>> that might be hard to undo, so I thought I should ask first. TIA Jeff
>> ________________________________
>> Image-SIG maillist - [hidden email]
>> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig
_______________________________________________
Image-SIG maillist  -  [hidden email]
http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/image-sig