PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Vern Ceder-3
Hi everyone,

In chatting with Charlie Clark and others today, it came up that we
aren't doing as much as we might to promote the successes of Python in
education. So I agreed to pass along to this list the call for content
for the PSF brochure. Please feel free to write up your successes with
Python and submit them. They will be considered for inclusion in the
brochure as mentioned in the call for submissions below.

Cheers,
Vern

Call for submissions for promotional brochure

A new PSF project aims to create professional quality promotional
material about Python. The first goal is to create a brochure to
showcase the many ways Python is used. It will include use cases to
highlight the ways the language allows users to accomplish their tasks
both in educational and in professional settings.

Project team members Marc-André Lemburg, Jan Ulrich Hasecke, and Armin
Stross-Radschinski created this Plone marketing brochure for the
German Zope User Group. It is the inspiration for this new project.

Community feedback and awareness is vitally important for the success
of this initiative, mainly to gather information to be used in the
brochure. We are especially looking for interesting projects that can
be discussed as use-cases.

If you have any suggestions for information to include in the
brochure, please contact Marc-André Lemburg or send an email to
brochure AT getpython DOT info.

UPDATE: more information about the brochure, including a newsletter,
can be found here - http://brochure.getpython.info/

--
Vern Ceder
[hidden email], [hidden email]

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Kirby Urner-6
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> In chatting with Charlie Clark and others today, it came up that we
> aren't doing as much as we might to promote the successes of Python in
> education. So I agreed to pass along to this list the call for content
> for the PSF brochure. Please feel free to write up your successes with
> Python and submit them. They will be considered for inclusion in the
> brochure as mentioned in the call for submissions below.
>
> Cheers,
> Vern
>
> Call for submissions for promotional brochure
>
> A new PSF project aims to create professional quality promotional
> material about Python. The first goal is to create a brochure to
> showcase the many ways Python is used. It will include use cases to
> highlight the ways the language allows users to accomplish their tasks
> both in educational and in professional settings.
>
> Project team members Marc-André Lemburg, Jan Ulrich Hasecke, and Armin
> Stross-Radschinski created this Plone marketing brochure for the
> German Zope User Group. It is the inspiration for this new project.

When you say "this Plone marketing brochure for the German Zope
User Group" is that supposed to be a link?

I'd be curious to see what that Plone brochure looks like.

At first I wasn't clear if you meant something cyber, like Just Use It
commercials (my thread on PSF list), or if this was to be printed on
wood pulp, perhaps on glossy paper.

I see it's to at least include the latter, but that doesn't rule out the
former.

> Community feedback and awareness is vitally important for the success
> of this initiative, mainly to gather information to be used in the
> brochure. We are especially looking for interesting projects that can
> be discussed as use-cases.

Language communities need to produce their own free and open
source commercials, with skills contributed by advertisers with
state of the art skills, a way of giving back if they've been getting,
-- and many of them have (used a LAMP stack lately?).

I'll be nudging Wieden+Kennedy for ideas (local firm).

I think companies like Holden Web and Open Bastion, Urban Airship,
Rumblefish.... Jive all contribute to their respective language communities.
Ruby has some especially cool flagships.

But that's the commercial sector.

What about NASA?  And what about universities?

Python at MIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXR9CDof7qw&feature=related

(I could tell he was from Canada, he confesses -- at 28:38 he
says "I hate this language..." and says some nonsense about
always using parens in place of brackets.  Should we hassle
this guy on Diversity?  :)

I remember that little pro Python PR clip made by Jeff Elkner's
students, with that hippie dad in the basement, a girl showing
her boyfriend how this language fit her brain.

Now where was that again... ?

Much more could be done...  Why let Britney have all the fun?

> If you have any suggestions for information to include in the
> brochure, please contact Marc-André Lemburg or send an email to
> brochure AT getpython DOT info.
>
> UPDATE: more information about the brochure, including a newsletter,
> can be found here - http://brochure.getpython.info/

Quite a sophisticated front end to a worthy project I must say.

A Portland school like Saturday Academy or LEP High could
send along testimony and examples, proving how their
curriculum was superior.  Niche marketing.

Would they have to pay for the free advertising?  Of course not.
Or... I should read more....

Here we go:

"""
The brochure will have 4 DIN A4 pages for ads.

Ad sponsors can buy a half page ad for EUR 2,450.00 (+ VAT if
applicable) in the first edition.

Each ad sponsor will receive a box of around 120 free copies of the
printed brochure after production.

There is room for 8 ad sponsors.
"""

So will MIT be one of those sponsors?  They could tout OLPC,
a Python flagship as well.

On another note, Pi Day is tomorrow.  So far no takers at the
OST web site.  Looks like the Python solution might be the only
solution to pass this unit test:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2011-March/010224.html

Not every language even has extended precision libraries, whereas
Python has at least two that I know about.

http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/browse_thread/thread/6c48dbcd8180e868?hl=en

Is there anything about Pi Day at Pycon I wonder?   How about a
sprint in an open session?  gmpy versus decimal anyone?  I should
get on twitter and follow the PSF snake...

Kirby

> --
> Vern Ceder
> [hidden email], [hidden email]
> The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Notes:

I've posted this before, explains Britney allusion etc.

http://www.4dsolutions.net/presentations/gis_2009_workshop.pdf

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Mokurai
On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 21:36, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> In chatting with Charlie Clark and others today, it came up that we
> aren't doing as much as we might to promote the successes of Python in
> education.

Do you have the OLPC XO Sugar software on your list? Almost all of it
except Etoys (Smalltalk) and SimCity is in Python. Pippy is a limited
Python IDE for children, and Turtle Art lets users call Python in any
amount from a single function call to an application, providing an
even easier starting point for students. I can provide endless detail.
^_^

> So I agreed to pass along to this list the call for content
> for the PSF brochure. Please feel free to write up your successes with
> Python and submit them. They will be considered for inclusion in the
> brochure as mentioned in the call for submissions below.
>
> Cheers,
> Vern
>
> Call for submissions for promotional brochure
>
> A new PSF project aims to create professional quality promotional
> material about Python. The first goal is to create a brochure to
> showcase the many ways Python is used. It will include use cases to
> highlight the ways the language allows users to accomplish their tasks
> both in educational and in professional settings.
>
> Project team members Marc-André Lemburg, Jan Ulrich Hasecke, and Armin
> Stross-Radschinski created this Plone marketing brochure for the
> German Zope User Group. It is the inspiration for this new project.
>
> Community feedback and awareness is vitally important for the success
> of this initiative, mainly to gather information to be used in the
> brochure. We are especially looking for interesting projects that can
> be discussed as use-cases.
>
> If you have any suggestions for information to include in the
> brochure, please contact Marc-André Lemburg or send an email to
> brochure AT getpython DOT info.
>
> UPDATE: more information about the brochure, including a newsletter,
> can be found here - http://brochure.getpython.info/
>
> --
> Vern Ceder
> [hidden email], [hidden email]
> The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

http://www.earthtreasury.org/

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Laura Creighton-2
I'm at pycon. Michael Sims of Nasa and the mars robots says he would be
appy to be in the brochure.  Nothing was said about piday.  I forgot
all about it.  If you go to freenode and join #pycon you may catch
sprinters interested in the challenge.  Now me, tonight, at any rate.
I am exhausted and must sleep.

Laura

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Vern Ceder-3
Hi Kirby,

Missed seeing you here at PyCon...

The link for the PSF brochure call for submissions is here:
http://pyfound.blogspot.com/2011/03/call-for-submissions-for-promotional.html

Charlie was pretty clear that they are intending a nice glossing
brochure to give out to various audiences. They are looking for
success stories from any and all arenas, but at this point, as far as
Charlie put it, they don't really have any and they don't know exactly
how to proceed.

So you might direct your suggestions and feedback to those organizing
the brochure.

Vern

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Edward Cherlin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 21:36, Vern Ceder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> In chatting with Charlie Clark and others today, it came up that we
>> aren't doing as much as we might to promote the successes of Python in
>> education.
>
> Do you have the OLPC XO Sugar software on your list? Almost all of it
> except Etoys (Smalltalk) and SimCity is in Python. Pippy is a limited
> Python IDE for children, and Turtle Art lets users call Python in any
> amount from a single function call to an application, providing an
> even easier starting point for students. I can provide endless detail.
> ^_^

Well, it's not my list - I'm just publicizing the call for content as
a favor. Please pass along any suggestions to those concerned. But I
would *assume* that Sugar might be a candidate...

Vern

In a message of Mon, 14 Mar 2011 03:52:26 +0100, Laura Creighton writes:
>I'm at pycon. Michael Sims of Nasa and the mars robots says he would be
>appy to be in the brochure.  Nothing was said about piday.  I forgot

s/appy/happy/  (Michael Sims is not French)

>all about it.  If you go to freenode and join #pycon you may catch
>sprinters interested in the challenge.  Now me, tonight, at any rate.

s/Now/Not/

>I am exhausted and must sleep.

that ++

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:52 PM, Laura Creighton <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm at pycon. Michael Sims of Nasa and the mars robots says he would be
> appy to be in the brochure.  Nothing was said about piday.  I forgot
> all about it.  If you go to freenode and join #pycon you may catch
> sprinters interested in the challenge.  Now me, tonight, at any rate.
> I am exhausted and must sleep.
>
> Laura

I agree with Laura on both counts - the NASA story is a good one
(look for the recording of his talk to be up soon) - and everyone here
is pretty tired.

Cheers,
Vern

--
Vern Ceder
[hidden email], [hidden email]
The Quick Python Book, 2nd Ed - http://bit.ly/bRsWDW

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Jan Ulrich Hasecke-3
Hi Kirby,

Am 14.03.11 02:26, schrieb Kirby Urner:
> When you say "this Plone marketing brochure for the German Zope
> User Group" is that supposed to be a link?

Yes, that was a link, it got lost somewhere.
http://www.dzug.org/werbemittel/plone-das-professionelle-open-source-cms-fu308r-organisationen-und-unternehmen

Thanks for your support!
Jan Ulrich Hasecke

--
The PSF Python Brochure
Sign up to our newsletter!
http://brochure.getpython.info/

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Jan Ulrich Hasecke-3
Hi all,

I want to follow up on this.

Edward sent us material about the OLPC and Sugar project. Thanks a lot
for that! This is great for our education chapter.

In our chapter about education we also want to show that Python is the
best choice as first programming language. To prove this we need
figures, if there are any.

Do you know about any study (local, nation-wide, internationally)
covering the effects of different programming languages on the outcome
of teaching programming?

Or do you know of any quote from a well known authority/specialist,
which favors Pythons?

If you know anyone who could help us in this respect, please send us the
contact details or introduce us to him/her. Our contact email is:
brochure at getpython dot info

======
Then…
======

Our first newsletter is out:
http://brochure.getpython.info/news/newsletter-1-we-need-your-help

It covers in detail what we are after.

Thank you very much for your help so far. We'll need a lot more of it.

Jan Ulrich Hasecke
http://brochure.getpython.info

Re: PSF Brochure - call for submissions

Andrzej Kapanowski
Hello,

Please find my article on Python implementation of Algorithm X by Knuth

http://arxiv.org/abs/1010.5890

Regards,
Andrzej Kapanowski