Platonic / Archimedean / Catalan Solids in Blender

Platonic / Archimedean / Catalan Solids in Blender

Lee Harr-3

Hi;

I know some of you like exploring geometry with Python.

The latest Blender 2.57 includes a python add-on for generating
a huge list of different types of geometric solids.

To try it out, you need to enable the add-on.

- start Blender
- click on File -> User Preferences...
- click on Add Ons near the top
- click on Add Mesh on the left
- check Add Mesh: Regular Solids
    (Also, look around. Many other cool things available.)
- close User Preferences window
- click on Main menu -> Add -> Mesh -> Solids
   (Can select specific solid, or just choose solid.
    Panel will open on the left allowing real-time adjustments)

So, now you may be interested in how this is done with Python.

- in top menu, next to Help menu, mouse over until it says "Choose Screen lay-out"
- click and choose Scripting
- top left panel is Text editor, click Text -> Open
- browse to blender install directory
- click 2.57 -> scripts -> add-ons -> add_mesh_solid.py

The scripts seem to be pretty well commented.
You can make changes, click "Run Script" and a new
menu will appear alongside the Solids menu running
your changed code.

Re: Platonic / Archimedean / Catalan Solids in Blender

Mokurai
2011/4/22 Lee Harr <[hidden email]>:

> Hi;
>
> I know some of you like exploring geometry with Python.
>
> The latest Blender 2.57 includes a python add-on for generating
> a huge list of different types of geometric solids.

This is huge progress. Back when Tron was made, there was only one
special-effects company that knew how to generate the stellated
polyhedra for the Bit, a character that existed in only two visual
states. Judson Rosebush did it in APL. Now there are a number of
software packages that allow you to do it by a simple command or menu
selection.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/