Posters next year?

Magnus Lyckå
When I've sneaked in on conferences full of scientists
(I'm married to one) they've usually had an area where
you can put up posters, and at certain times, people
stand by their poster and answer questions etc.

The poster is usually fairly big, A0 size I guess, i.e.
1 m2, and should be readable from at leat 2 m distance.
I realize that some people don't have access to a plotter
or printer that handles A0 paper, but tape and glue will
help in that case. :) Just like talks, posters would be
available in the program with an abstract.

This is another means of communcation than holding a
presentation. It's maybe not less work to prepare
a good poster than to prepare a good talk, but I'm
sure it's less intimidating for some people, and the
posters have the big advantage that they can be
observed at any time during the whole conference,
not just in one particular half hour when you'd like
to watch another presentation as well.

It also means that you can present texts that are
slightly longer than the ones that fit in presentation
slides.

Would this be a useful thing to consider? I think it
fits with the CERN setting...

/Magnus Lyckå

--
Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB
http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Posters next year?

Benedikt Hegner
Hi,
we at CERN had a discussion about proposing a poster session next
year and personally I like the idea. The only problem - most of the
people have no experience in making a poster and It is quite
different from holding a presentation. Nevertheless +1 :-)

by the way:
there was the idea of making a conference poster (like for other
science conferences). It could be printed by our printing service and
then distributed...

Cheers,
Benedikt

On 02.10.2005, at 01:04, Magnus Lycka wrote:

> When I've sneaked in on conferences full of scientists
> (I'm married to one) they've usually had an area where
> you can put up posters, and at certain times, people
> stand by their poster and answer questions etc.
>
> The poster is usually fairly big, A0 size I guess, i.e.
> 1 m2, and should be readable from at leat 2 m distance.
> I realize that some people don't have access to a plotter
> or printer that handles A0 paper, but tape and glue will
> help in that case. :) Just like talks, posters would be
> available in the program with an abstract.
>
> This is another means of communcation than holding a
> presentation. It's maybe not less work to prepare
> a good poster than to prepare a good talk, but I'm
> sure it's less intimidating for some people, and the
> posters have the big advantage that they can be
> observed at any time during the whole conference,
> not just in one particular half hour when you'd like
> to watch another presentation as well.
>
> It also means that you can present texts that are
> slightly longer than the ones that fit in presentation
> slides.
>
> Would this be a useful thing to consider? I think it
> fits with the CERN setting...
>

> /Magnus Lyckå
>
> --
> Magnus Lyckå, Thinkware AB
> http://www.thinkware.se/  mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Posters next year?

Michael Sparks-3
On Sunday 02 October 2005 16:46, Benedikt Hegner wrote:
> we at CERN had a discussion about proposing a poster session next
> year and personally I like the idea. The only problem - most of the
> people have no experience in making a poster and It is quite
> different from holding a presentation. Nevertheless +1 :-)

+1

BTW, if this suggestion goes ahead, if we could get people to produce their
posters in advance, its *possible* that I might be able to get the printed up
at work. I'd have to discuss that with people, but we do have inhouse
printing (and poster making) facilities.

IMO, the lack of experience of making posters is likely to be more than made
up for by the exhuberance people have shown at Euro Python. They might
not be all "standard" form then, but I suspect they'd be a really cool
eclectic mix :-)

I'd also suggest that the posters need not have an associated talk. (Some
people REALLY don't like standing up in front of people, but have some very
interesting things to say!/they're doing!)

Michael.