Potential problem with PTK's wrap cursor feature.

Potential problem with PTK's wrap cursor feature.

Carl Smith
Hey all,

I just opened an issue with PTK. There's a conflict between cursor wrapping and some 'named commands'. If you set PTK up to allow the cursor to wrap when it goes off the start or end of a line, it breaks some of PTKs collection of bash command equivalents.

Thomas mentioned adding cursor wrapping to IPython by default, so figured you'd appreciate a heads-up. The issue (with a bit more detail) is here:

Best,

-- Carl Smith

On 14 February 2017 at 17:42, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. I forget exactly what cursor wrapping means in PTK; is that not what the cursor does by default?

​Nah. At least, it didn't last time I updated my installation. When the cursor reaches the start or end of a line, it just stops.

If you're not planning to add cursor wrapping at this stage, then it's really only a problem for PTK. It should be fixed soon too.

On 14 February 2017 at 18:06, Carl Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nah. At least, it didn't last time I updated my installation. When the cursor reaches the start or end of a line, it just stops.

That's not what I see:

Inline images 1

I'm pretty sure I don't have any custom config affecting that. :-S

Re: Potential problem with PTK's wrap cursor feature.

Carl Smith
I think we're describing two slightly different things. I just disabled the wrap stuff in my config (with 5.1.0), and it stops working.

If you have two lines of code and the cursor is in the middle of the top line, and you then start pressing Right repeatedly, when the cursor gets to the last column and you hit Right again, does the cursor jump to the start of the second line or just stop? Similarly for hitting Left to go off the start of the second line, to wrap to the end of the first.

I think you're describing the text wrapping over when it gets too long to fit on the line, with the cursor wrapping over with it.

-- Carl Smith

On 14 February 2017 at 18:11, Thomas Kluyver <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

You were quite right about what I was trying, and I understand what you mean now. No, I don't have cursor wrapping enabled. In fact I'd forgotten that we had any plan to enable that by default in IPython.

Don't worry, I didn't read your message as condescending - it was a useful clarification on something I hadn't understood. :-)

Re: Potential problem with PTK's wrap cursor feature.

Carl Smith

Don't worry, I didn't read your message as condescending - it was a useful clarification on something I hadn't understood. :-)

​Cool. The Web is rubbish at conveying tone.​

If you're not planning to use the wrapping thing anytime soon, it's a non-issue here.