Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Brian Mahoney-2
I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
next Thursday (Nov 10).  Details at the start of the
week. Unless I hear a serious objection by then,  I plan
to use Cafe Yulong in downtown Mountain View,
743 W Dana Street, 1/2 block from Castro where
Books, Inc is on the corner.

This is a fairly new (2002) Chinese restaurant and may
not show up on a search map. You can Google reviews
under "Cafe Yulong". I tried it and found it suitable
for our group.

Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Dennis Reinhardt
At 12:03 PM 11/3/2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
>Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.

I have been doing work on ready-to-run Windows programs.  My programs are
600-800K in size, complete.  This file size does not allow for large
library downloads or other generalized components.

I have used two different methods of providing user interface: 1) ctypes
mediated direct-to-Windows-API (including message loop) and 2) custom http
server using a localhost web browser.  Each method has some non-obvious
gotcha's that I would explore.  The web browser holds the promise of
eventual cross-platform delivery.

I may touch on install/uninstall issues and the challenges of doing this in
an entirely Python environment.

I would propose the title "Python ready to run under Windows".  See
http://dair.com for details of SpamAI (anti-spam), DialogDevil (UI
automation), 1ClickZoom (magnifier wrapper), and DSL-Xray (modem/router
management, under development).

Regards, Dennis
----------------------------------
| Dennis    | [hidden email]   |
| Reinhardt | Powerful Anti-Spam |
----------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Ross Parlette
In reply to this post by Brian Mahoney-2
Depending on how long Cafe Yulong takes to serve, we may need to allocate more time here. Also, as a Chineese meal is usually a shared one (except at places like Mr Chau, as I have noted previously), we probably should mostly arrive about the same time, so as to present a coordinated order. While Chineese is not compatible with my boss (little is), I'd like to go to CY and see how well it works. IIRC, the July dinner was at another Chineese restaurant in MV, but I didn't go so I don't know how well it worked out.
 
Ross
-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Mahoney <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:03:26 -0800
Subject: [Baypiggies] Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
next Thursday (Nov 10).  Details at the start of the
week. Unless I hear a serious objection by then,  I plan
to use Cafe Yulong in downtown Mountain View,
743 W Dana Street, 1/2 block from Castro where
Books, Inc is on the corner.

This is a fairly new (2002) Chinese restaurant and may
not show up on a search map. You can Google reviews
under "Cafe Yulong". I tried it and found it suitable
for our group.

Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
m h
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Fwd: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

m h
In reply to this post by Dennis Reinhardt
Dennis, your #2 sounds very similar to what I'm doing at work with
SAM.  Check out my blog for more details ( http://panela.blog-city.com
).  Combining the web server with AJAX can provide a pretty good
client (as well as providing a few additional benefits).  I could
possibly provide a small presentation on this architecture, but it
would probably be me asking more questions to the audience since I
haven't really finalized too much of it yet.

matt

On 11/3/05, Dennis Reinhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:

> At 12:03 PM 11/3/2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
> >Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.
>
> I have been doing work on ready-to-run Windows programs.  My programs are
> 600-800K in size, complete.  This file size does not allow for large
> library downloads or other generalized components.
>
> I have used two different methods of providing user interface: 1) ctypes
> mediated direct-to-Windows-API (including message loop) and 2) custom http
> server using a localhost web browser.  Each method has some non-obvious
> gotcha's that I would explore.  The web browser holds the promise of
> eventual cross-platform delivery.
>
> I may touch on install/uninstall issues and the challenges of doing this in
> an entirely Python environment.
>
> I would propose the title "Python ready to run under Windows".  See
> http://dair.com for details of SpamAI (anti-spam), DialogDevil (UI
> automation), 1ClickZoom (magnifier wrapper), and DSL-Xray (modem/router
> management, under development).
>
> Regards, Dennis
> ----------------------------------
> | Dennis    | [hidden email]   |
> | Reinhardt | Powerful Anti-Spam |
> ----------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> Baypiggies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
>

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

richbodo
In reply to this post by Brian Mahoney-2
Good choice.  I can confirm that Cafe Yulong is a cut above the average chinese restaurant.  They are a dollar or so more expensive per plate than the least expensive restaurants, but it's money well spent.  I probably don't have to go into the niceties of the coffee shop across the street.  Yummy.

-Rich

On 11/3/05, Brian Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
next Thursday (Nov 10).  Details at the start of the
week. Unless I hear a serious objection by then,  I plan
to use Cafe Yulong in downtown Mountain View,
743 W Dana Street, 1/2 block from Castro where
Books, Inc is on the corner.

This is a fairly new (2002) Chinese restaurant and may
not show up on a search map. You can Google reviews
under "Cafe Yulong". I tried it and found it suitable
for our group.

Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
<a onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies" target="_blank"> http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies




_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Dennis Reinhardt
In reply to this post by Dennis Reinhardt
At 02:12 PM 11/3/2005, you wrote:

Matt,

Yes, I see the similarity.  I have already deployed the first generation of
http-based interface.  I did not say a lot about the second generation in
the writeup because the program it will be part of is immature.

The second generation displays html within application window, rather then
within a browser window.  This is done by embedding IE5 or later, if
present, and the default browser if IE5 not present.  The http server also
assigns listening port dynamically (tries up to 3 ports) and renders a
rendered file:// html error message on no connect (esp. an aggressive
software firewall installed).

I do have the second generation UI working and can demo it and discuss.

Regard, Dennis

>Dennis, your #2 sounds very similar to what I'm doing at work with
>SAM.  Check out my blog for more details ( http://panela.blog-city.com
>).  Combining the web server with AJAX can provide a pretty good
>client (as well as providing a few additional benefits).  I could
>possibly provide a small presentation on this architecture, but it
>would probably be me asking more questions to the audience since I
>haven't really finalized too much of it yet.
>
>matt
>
>On 11/3/05, Dennis Reinhardt <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > At 12:03 PM 11/3/2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
> > >Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.
> >
> > I have been doing work on ready-to-run Windows programs.  My programs are
> > 600-800K in size, complete.  This file size does not allow for large
> > library downloads or other generalized components.
> >
> > I have used two different methods of providing user interface: 1) ctypes
> > mediated direct-to-Windows-API (including message loop) and 2) custom http
> > server using a localhost web browser.  Each method has some non-obvious
> > gotcha's that I would explore.  The web browser holds the promise of
> > eventual cross-platform delivery.
> >
> > I may touch on install/uninstall issues and the challenges of doing this in
> > an entirely Python environment.
> >
> > I would propose the title "Python ready to run under Windows".  See
> > http://dair.com for details of SpamAI (anti-spam), DialogDevil (UI
> > automation), 1ClickZoom (magnifier wrapper), and DSL-Xray (modem/router
> > management, under development).
> >
> > Regards, Dennis
> > ----------------------------------
> > | Dennis    | [hidden email]   |
> > | Reinhardt | Powerful Anti-Spam |
> > ----------------------------------
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Baypiggies mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
> >
>
>_______________________________________________
>Baypiggies mailing list
>[hidden email]
>http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies

----------------------------------
| Dennis    | [hidden email]   |
| Reinhardt | Powerful Anti-Spam |
----------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Bugzilla from nnorwitz@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Brian Mahoney-2
On 11/3/05, Brian Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
>  next Thursday (Nov 10).

I've had offers from someone at Google to provide food.  Would people
be interested in Google catering dinner?  Google will still provide
snacks, etc. even if we don't eat dinner on campus.

n

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Ben Bangert
On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:

> On 11/3/05, Brian Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
>>  next Thursday (Nov 10).
>
> I've had offers from someone at Google to provide food.  Would people
> be interested in Google catering dinner?  Google will still provide
> snacks, etc. even if we don't eat dinner on campus.

Does that mean their (famed) cafeteria food? I'd be totally open to  
that. :)

- Ben
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Bugzilla from nnorwitz@gmail.com
On 11/3/05, Ben Bangert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
> > On 11/3/05, Brian Mahoney <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I can coordinate the pre-meeting Baypiggies dinner for
> >>  next Thursday (Nov 10).
> >
> > I've had offers from someone at Google to provide food.  Would people
> > be interested in Google catering dinner?  Google will still provide
> > snacks, etc. even if we don't eat dinner on campus.
>
> Does that mean their (famed) cafeteria food? I'd be totally open to
> that. :)

Actually, I think we might even get something more special than the
regular cafeteria food (which is already really good).

n

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Aahz
In reply to this post by Brian Mahoney-2
On Thu, Nov 03, 2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
>
> Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.

We already have one -- sorry I've been a little behind on posting it.
(Two weeks ago in San Diego, this weekend in Portland.)
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Bugzilla from nnorwitz@gmail.com
In reply to this post by Ben Bangert
On 11/3/05, Ben Bangert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
> > I've had offers from someone at Google to provide food.  Would people
> > be interested in Google catering dinner?  Google will still provide
> > snacks, etc. even if we don't eat dinner on campus.
>
> Does that mean their (famed) cafeteria food? I'd be totally open to
> that. :)

I've had several yes responses.  Do people have any particular
requests for food?  I think the current plan is to start dinner around
6.30 to give us enough time before the meeting.

BTW, the room has switched from Benghazi to Tunis which is also where
we will eat.  Tunis is a bigger room.

n

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Brian Mahoney-2


On 11/4/05, Neal Norwitz <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 11/3/05, Ben Bangert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Nov 3, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
> > I've had offers from someone at Google to provide food.  Would people
> > be interested in Google catering dinner?  Google will still provide
> > snacks, etc. even if we don't eat dinner on campus.
>
> Does that mean their (famed) cafeteria food? I'd be totally open to
> that. :)

I've had several yes responses.  Do people have any particular
requests for food?  I think the current plan is to start dinner around
6.30 to give us enough time before the meeting.

BTW, the room has switched from Benghazi to Tunis which is also where
we will eat.  Tunis is a bigger room.

n

 
I'll shelf the November restaurant plan if we can eat at Google.


_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Aahz
In reply to this post by Bugzilla from nnorwitz@gmail.com
On Fri, Nov 04, 2005, Neal Norwitz wrote:
>
> I've had several yes responses.  Do people have any particular
> requests for food?  I think the current plan is to start dinner around
> 6.30 to give us enough time before the meeting.

+1

> BTW, the room has switched from Benghazi to Tunis which is also where
> we will eat.  Tunis is a bigger room.

That's still Building 43?
--
Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair
_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Alex Martelli
On 11/4/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
   ...
> > BTW, the room has switched from Benghazi to Tunis which is also where
> > we will eat.  Tunis is a bigger room.
>
> That's still Building 43?

Yes, Tunis is the large meeting room on floor 2 of Building 43, where
we met the very first time BayPyggies met at Google, the past spring.


Alex

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Shannon -jj Behrens
In reply to this post by Aahz
I'd like to give up my spot.  PyGTK is *so* two years ago ;)

-jj

On 11/4/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
> >
> > Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.
>
> We already have one -- sorry I've been a little behind on posting it.
> (Two weeks ago in San Diego, this weekend in Portland.)
> --
> Aahz ([hidden email])           <*>         http://www.pythoncraft.com/
>
> "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait
> until you hire an amateur."  --Red Adair
> _______________________________________________
> Baypiggies mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
>


--
Hacking is to climbing Mt. Everest as
software engineering is to building a Denny's there.

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pre-meeting Dinner in Mountain View

Shannon -jj Behrens
> On 11/4/05, Aahz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 03, 2005, Brian Mahoney wrote:
> > >
> > > Now we just need a speaker(s) for November 10.
> >
> > We already have one -- sorry I've been a little behind on posting it.
> > (Two weeks ago in San Diego, this weekend in Portland.)

Oops, sorry, improper quoting format:

I'd like to give up my spot.  PyGTK is *so* two years ago ;)

Best Regards,
-jj

--
Hacking is to climbing Mt. Everest as
software engineering is to building a Denny's there.

_______________________________________________
Baypiggies mailing list
[hidden email]
http://www.baypiggies.net/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/baypiggies